Anthony Joshua vs Vladimir Klitchko. Official pick em and why.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by im sparticus, Apr 21, 2017.

Anthony Joshua vs Vladimir Klitchko.

Poll closed Apr 30, 2017.
  1. A.J K.O

43 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. A.J Points

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. KLIT K.O

49 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. KLIT Points

15 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    The best thing for AJ would be to fight someone who extends him the full 12 rounds soon.
    A loss in a competitive fight to Wlad probably wouldn't hurt his progress either.
    If he continues to win fights too easily with early KOs, it will come back to hurt him later on.

I'd like to see Wlad win this one anyway. Got to go with the old man underdog against the hyped youngster whose had it too easy. AJ's got plenty of time to come again too.

2. Booker18

Booker18 Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2016
    If Wlad had been in the ring post-Fury I'd probably pick him, but he looked bad against Jennings and was awful against Fury. Those two fights and the lay off make me pick AJ.

Very exciting fight though, seems a little surreal to think of the two fighting each other

3. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Without reading the rest of the picks i m going klitchko. Your not going 64-4 without being the real deal. Klitchko,s made a career of making decent fighters look sub standard. Its all about the footwork. I d actually back heavily on the klitchko win if steward was still around and he had the footwork/speed of the haye fight. Both gone...but still think hes a slight favourite. Sure klitchko nailed it in the sit down interview. Speed/power etc is a big deal but it comes down to anticipation. They can both be nullified but timings hard to replicate.

Think few will know till we see the first round. Josh just needs to get the tempo up. Klitchko needs to be able to break it up with the jab. Whoever wins that battle wins the fight. Josh cant get disheartened tho because he can break through at any point. Although even against molina he started getting predictable. If klitchko gets comfortable it could be a long night.

I think the fury fight will mess a lot of people up...but fury was a nitemare proposition. Tbf to him he called it from the start. So unpredictable its hard to work out. Great fighter on his best nite...but reckon his best nite was klitchko. Klitchko,s biggest weakness tbf. Dont think joshua falls into that category tho.

I m going klitchko but his biggest problem will be the fans going mental if joshua does get through with something. Theres a chance he falls apart....quickly. still if i do put money on its a klitchko win. How many times have we seen the power puncher get nullified.

I think klitchko will get him under early...josh will have a few big moments but nothing klitchko cant handle.

If josh does it early tho...outside of a wilder lucky punch. Hes dominating for years.

4. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Klitschko could lose, but I will not be surprised if he knocks Joshua out...................... Joshua has a rematch clause, plus the fact that Joshua was totally outclassed in sparring Vlad not too long ago, it was a total mismatch, Joshua was also out boxed by Camerelle in the Olympics, but home cooking gave Joshua decision he did not deserve.................Vlad can out box Joshua, he has been looking very good in camp, very ripped, full of energy, unlike before the first Fury fight. Vlad had personal problems during that fight, with Jennings, he just did enough to win the fight easily....................he was sort of burnt out, but now he is excited for this fight, always stays in shape, has the stamina, defense, jab, power, very strong, a little taller than Joshua, foot work much better, balance really good, lateral movement, Vlad is also a great counter-puncher and remember, Vlad has tons of power in either hand, watch the Vlad Vs. Shufford fight, the shortest left hook I have ever seen. Vlad also knocked out 6 foot 6 inch Ray Austin by using only his left hand, five quick left hooks in a row, the first one knocked him out, but 4 more landed before Austin landed on the canvas, I also suspect this fight could be more like Vlad Vs. 6 foot 6 inch Jefferson, he was aggressive, Jefferson was a knockout puncher, an HBO star at the time. He out boxed Jameel McCline who was also 6 feet 6 inches tall, TKO'd him in the 10th round when McCline was in his prime..........etc., I don't know for certain, too many unknowns, but I suspect Vlad will win. Vitali seems pretty sure about Vlad's win, he said if Vlad is focused, he will win this fight easily...................Vitali would know.................seems as if everyone is expecting Joshua to simply walk through Vlad easily.....................I don't see that happening.....not even if Vlad has grown old over night.....................Vitali said age will not be a factor. George Foreman won the heavyweight title when he was 45, Vitali won the WBC title with a stoppage of Sam Peter after a 4 year layoff with no tuneup.................

5. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Seems we have Klit slightly ahead with just under a week to go.
    22 votes to 19. 19 votes each on one k.o.ing the other.
    This just shows how evenly matched these two are at this point in there careers.
    Theres good points we can raise for both fighters and questions still left to be answered

6. V.Iced

V.Iced New Member banned Full Member

Jul 26, 2014
    A lot of greats had to learn it the hard way, when to quit, Klitschko reigned undefeated (no robbery wins) for 10 years and fought all his mandatory's to keep those belts, 64 wins 53 Ko's 4 defeats, no matter how boring he for the most guys is, Respect him for his accomplishments, the second longest reigning heavyweight champion of the world in the history of boxing, but everything has an end. Fury cracked his career and i think Joshua will finish it, All fighters get to know when to quit, when they don't know when to quit. Just like Ali and a lot of other big named fighters.

I'll be rooting for Klitschko though, he proved himself and beat all the Nr.1. challengers of his era to keep those belts for so long, I respect him for doing that and taking on a "hot" young champion with 18 wins and 18 KO's, coming off a loss, respect.

PaddyGarcia likes this.
  7. jonny v

jonny v Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Vlad ko for me. Any time from round 7 onwards. I see a cagey start from both men with Joshua looking for the openings that usually come to end it ASAP. When it becomes evident that they aren't going to present themselves so easily i think Joshua will start to mentally break down. He'l of already taken a good few hard jabs by this point and will tire very quickly. He's never had the best poker face and i see it becoming very evident that he's tired and worried. Vlad will only move in once Joshua is virtually dead on his feet and finish the job. I wouldn't be surprised by a brunoesque stopped on his feet with the towel coming in.

8. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Kills me to say it, but I have to be honest, Josh KO. I'd say KO by round 6.

I think it'll be a cagey start with both trying to work each other out, I think Josh will be respecting the fact that Wlad clearly still has a dig on him, if he can get it off, and Josh won't want to be getting KOed at a stage in his career where he probably feels he is finally ready for his coming out party and onto better things.

However WK after being embarassed by Fury may be training like an animal and working on all kinds of tactics and looking within himself to see what he hasn't worked on so much before, and possibly neglected, and at this point WK might very well be treating this as the most important fight of his life, as he doesn't want to become cannon fodder for an up and coming young HW who hasn't yet done anything to warrant the adulation he gets everywhere. So don't sleep on WK totally, he may just suprise the hell out of us all, he may box out of his skin in a way we've never seen him do before, it clearly eats him up losing all his belts and that people think he's "done", which to be fair, he may very well be, he didn't set the world alight vs. Jennings did he, and Jennings is no dangerous opponent himself. But a man with a point to prove can be very dangerous and WK is clearly more driven to win this fight than he has been in ages.

He wilted via mind games even before he boxed Fury, and there is none of this in this fight, he seems back to trying to pull his old tricks, so I'm hoping WK can drag the performance of his life out of himself and show Josh he can't just waltz into the ring and expect to beat him like he's a journeyman.

My heart says WK but my head says Josh will KO WK and I think thats the sensible option.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  9. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    The 2 Johnny's see it very similar. I think if it goes past 5/6 it starts swinging greatly in Wlad's favour.

For all the Wlad fanciers, it's 25/1 on betfair for Klitschko round 10-12. Brilliant odds in my opinion.

jonny v likes this.
  10. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    Yh them odds on Klitschko are definitely worth a flutter tbh

11. The Nightfly

The Nightfly Tonight the night is mine Full Member

Mar 2, 2016
    I think the old man still has enough in the tank to keep AJ on the end of his Jab for most of the fight.
    AJ although powerful and fairly good hand speed is slow and predictable, perfect for klitschko.
    Hopefully McCracken has a good game plan though and has AJ going for the early ko as this is possible

12. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    This a million times.

Wlad is 41 ffs and he's up against a prime physical machine here.

13. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    Yes I do feel the sensible money is on Josh

However WK is clearly mentally in the right place for this fight, you can tell, he wasn't like this at all before Fury made a mockery of him, or before the Jennings fight

I think WK is very confident about something going into this fight

14. letsgochamp

letsgochamp Member banned Full Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Dwyer makes a lot of good points
    This content is protected

destruction likes this.
  15. letsgochamp

letsgochamp Member banned Full Member

Apr 6, 2017
    He beat everyone in the whole division for about 12 years, including many 'prime physical machines' that were supposed to have a real chance against him. He was still looking great at 38, 39... The smart money is on Klitschko because if he has 60% of his former ability after the very poor performance and inactivity. then it's just yet another routine Klitschko win.