Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Eddessa, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Eddessa

Eddessa New Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2017
    So I was wondering about anthony joshua's training and how he rates as a boxer. I know before he started boxing he was into bodybuilding cuz that's what's cool amongst teenagers, being big and looking good. But as a boxer you would've thought that the amount of cardio he does (enough to go an 11 round fight with one of the world's best heavyweights) wouldve caused his strength/ muscle mass to suffer. I understand he doesn't to bodybuilding now but it's hard to believe he doesn't, the man is a hard 250 pounds and as I've been seeing on his snap chat he's looking to gain even more weight. How would someone who weighs so much for a boxer or had that much muscle maintain proper stamina and muscle endurance for him not to be dropping his hands all the time. In terms of the training he does (of what we've been shown) it isn't geared towards size/ aesthetics unless maybe for legs, yet his arms and back and everything look shredded. If you watch some of his documentaries there is a short clip of him screwind around or warming up with 15-20 pound bicep curls. Maybe in training he does them seriously?

And then comes the speed. He has 19 inch arms. To put that into perspective Arnold was a full time professional bodybuilder and his arms were 22 inches. 3 inch difference but when you look at the difference in their training it kinda makes you wonder.

I guess my overall question here is how do these guys stay so huge and maintain good cardio while having fast hands? PED's? Advanced sports science training? How does he rate as a boxer? The heavyweight division isnt as packed as it was before but how does he rank with the all time greats? Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks

2. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    AJ doesnt have good stamina, he throws one flurry and he gasses. and i dont rate him along side ATG as he isnt at that level and probably never will be.

3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    We've seen in two fights (Wlad and Whyte) that AJ can gas out during a fight - owing to his build somewhat - only to then later find his second wind. Which is impressive. I don't know anything about training the body and the like, so others will be more useful here.

He has pretty fast hands for his size but I wouldn't say they're outrageously fast to be honest.

He's a good fighter, no doubt. In terms of pure boxing skill, he isn't the best but he's still good. A lot of his game is owing to athleticism as opposed to outboxing guys. He's in no position to be rated against ATG's yet. The Wlad win was probably the best available in the division but this was an aged Wlad coming off a loss and his longest layoff. Still a commendable win but it needs context. For what it's worth, the Wlad of 5 years ago would have gotten AJ out of there but of course AJ has time to improve himself, although I think he is pretty much at this ceiling.

4. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Like all other contempary heavyweights he's takes steroids. No ifs or buts.

5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Pretty much agree with grooveongreg. I think hes on better stuff than the rest of them. Does not look natural. Their banging on all this weight and getting faster.

I think their also eating an incredible amount of calories also...going big on protein. Talking 6,000/7,000 plus calories per day. When the average is about 2,500.

I actually think he has very good stamina people aren,t noticing it...hes not gassing cause hes tyring...hes gassing by taking a big shot. His body shuts down on him for a while. Its a chin problem and not a stamina problem. Look at the joshua v whyte fight...that was fought at a very fast pace. Joshua didnt have a problem with the pace he was actually upping it...till whyte hit him with the big shot. Then everything went. But before that punch...he was dealing with that pace no problem at all. Exactly the same story as the klitchko fight.

Liverpool82 likes this.
  6. Embracedagrindz

Embracedagrindz New Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2017
    AJ has 17 inch arms (unflexed) and 19 inch (flexed). Arnold has 22 inch (unflexed).

As for AJ not doing bodybuilding style workouts - there are videos of him doing stiff leg deadlifts, and rack pulls. By the way, why do 250lbs+ HW boxers deny doing any weights? Lewis and Klitschko also denied it.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    AJ was a bodybuilding youth who turned to boxing, and he's bloody good at boxing so fair play to him.
    Yes, he still trains for looks. Of course he wouldn't admit that but we know he's still got a bodybuilding mentality to some extent, just listening to some of the things he says.
    But guess what ? His physique, his looks, actually are making him VERY successful outside the ring, with all the endorsements etc.
    He's eye catching.

And whether it hurts his boxing ability, I don't know.
    He is winning still.

8. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    he started gassing before Klitschko landed big on him, thats why Klitschko was able to take over Round 5 straight after being kicked down

9. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Go back and watch round 5. Klitchko catches him with a big shot. Not a lot of people caught it. I think carl froch actually mentions it commentating. Thats when the stamina goes.

Regardless tho i counted 30 punches from joshua in the first 25 seconds of that round. Werent exactly arm punches either. Any heavyweight in the world would be jaded after that. He actually fights at an explosive pace. The thing was joshua immediately gets back on it...throws four or five big shots. Then gets caught in the exchange. Thats when the stamina goes. Its the chin thats his achilles heel for my money. Luckily for him tho...he still seems to have his wits about him after the big shots unlike say bruno. Everything else starts to betray him tho.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    On_The_Ropes likes this.
  10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He copped one of Klitschko's infamous left hooks in the 5th which sparked AJ on his feet.

I really like him. He's got huge heart, speed, power, punch variety...I do think he's quite limited with his lateral movement and defence though and i think he's a knockout waiting to happen.

11. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Totally agree mate knockout waiting to happen. Reckon it,ll come against someone you dont expect either or a particular style. I ve actually spent a lot of time slating him from the start. The usual...the muscles dont win boxing matches...he,ll have no stamina etc. But the more i see him...the more hes proving me wrong. Weather hes achieving it on the levels another argument altogether but i think hes looking like the favourite against anyone atm. Punches too hard. Still got time to progress. Too hungry etc for anyone out there. His boxings not the best but its not bad especially when you add it to his athletic advantages. Hand speeds very good for a 250 pound man. But the chin will cost him somewhere along the line. Its not that its a bad chin...recovered brilliantly against klitchko,s knockdown. But its more that his body starts to betray him. A younger klitchko would have got him out of there. The harder punching guys would have done it as well. Makes it interesting tho cause without that issue. I reckon he,d beat them all without too much fuss. Wilder stylistically matches up well against him...but wilder will go first. Parkers hand speed could cause him problems...but hes up against it with his height and reach. Ortiz might do it...but he could also turn into a human punching bag. As good as he is. Just getting on a bit. I actually think the guy breazeale beat recently...the polish guy could cause him problems...think he,d probably go first tho. As in get knocked out before he could do the knocking out. Had breazele all over the place tho at one point.

Twentyman likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't give Pulev much chance against AJ.
    But Pulev has a serious jab when he throws it right, a potential knee-buckler. If he can stand up to AJ and get that jab working he could make it a fight.
    But more likely he starts off hesistant and AJ simply overwhelms him.

Brixton Bomber and PaddyGarcia like this.
  13. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    I just did, he gasses out himself. his chin is actually good, he gets hit with some huge shots in that round but it was after he started blowing

This content is protected
    go to 0:55, look at the look on his face at about 59secs/1min, then how he is for the moments after that before he gets hit with the left hook

14. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    He's got good stamina and a chin . He finished an elite fighter in the 11th round after taking a beating . This is unquestionable

15. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Just watched it mate. I dont really see it. He threw something like 28 unanswered power punches to put klitchko down. Klitchko gets up and joshua goes straight after him again throwing big. Exchanging fighting at pace. Thats not bad stamina. Anyone that size would tyre. But he doesnt slow down till hes hit with the left hook.

If you watch from 1.15. Its about then klitchko hits him with it. You can visibly see it affecting him. Thats when he slows down. From about 1.15...to 1.40 from the punch to froch mentioning it.