Anthony Joshua's physique - in his best interests?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Oxygene2, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Oxygene2

Oxygene2 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Do you think he should be carrying so much muscle?

Does he look a little bit like a caricature of an athlete given his definition?

What do you make of his physique and do you think he's going about his conditioning for boxing in the right way?

To me, I'm not sure he's in the best fighting shape and I wonder how well he'd sustain his assaults in a long fight...

He seems like a tremendous athlete who should be lean, mean and lithe, but he has a bit of Popeye about him, especially in the upper legs.

2. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    It's not an ideal physique for a boxer. Lean and even somewhat flabby physiques are better than body-builder physiques. He'll have serious stamina issues unless he learns how to pace himself carefully.

3. Oxygene2

Oxygene2 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    I don't thinkhe has to be as muscular and lifting as much weights as he does though.

He's quite slender, naturally. He doesn't have to look like Popeye. IMV he should drop some of that bulk and make sure he can last the long haul in fights. This is boxing, not bodybuilding.

4. Lady Girl

Lady Girl Kneel Before Zod! Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    The bigger muscular dudes always the first ones to drop out of the long runs

5. Winky Wright

Winky Wright Winky Full Member

Sep 28, 2015
    He cannot help it. Roids too strong doe.

6. RazzAxx

RazzAxx Active Member Full Member

May 20, 2011
    His physique is pretty much like Wladimir's. If he can box relaxed and has enough cardio work in his training I don't see any issues with looking good physically. Muscles do eat energy and boxing is a long distance run so I don't think his/Wladimir's physique is optimal for a heavy weight boxer, but every individual has different kind of stamina and stamina is the easiest ability to train, anyway. He'll be good.

7. jdw2000

jdw2000 Active Member Full Member

Oct 16, 2014
    There is a whiff of Bruno about Joshua. Even as an amateur he was stopped in a Bruno-like fashion against the fat Romanian.

I do not think his current physique is ideal. If Whyte can take him into the middle/later rounds and be smart then I think he can stop Joshua. But Whyte will need to be tremendously fit himself, which I am not sure he is.

Joshua is not an easy guy to beat, and neither was Bruno. You need to grind them down and take lots of shots yourself. But both are beatable.

8. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    No. He looks just a little too big and he certainly shouldnt be getting any bigger. Being too bulky can hinder your fluidity and maneuverability and carrying so much muscle weight to the later rounds of a fight tires you out.

Joshua could gas big time as it is. Never got the rounds in.

9. Eggman

Eggman "The cream of the crop! Nobody does it better! Full Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Clear steroids.

10. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    He's not overly muscular really. Yes he has a lean slab of it, but not stupidly big.

11. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    The physique isn't really that important imo. What matters is physical capabilities which don't always correspond with physical appearance. People often have more or less power, speed and stamina than their looks would suggest.

12. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Wlad seemed to do ok

13. jdw2000

jdw2000 Active Member Full Member

Oct 16, 2014

He never fought anybody decent.

14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    ...right:roll: