Anthony Joshua's Power

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Beale, Apr 2, 2023.

1. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Literally takes a 2 second google search to find out why. Hard work for some I know.

2. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    He doesn't seem to have that one punch KO against world level fighters with decent chins. I think the obvious next fight is a Whyte rematch as there's a genuine rivalry and it will sell tickets.

Beale likes this.
  3. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    they can sell the PPV

Give Me Mate A Payday 2: can he top up Dereck’s pension fund better than Tyson Fury?

Manning likes this.
  4. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Without doubt the Whyte rematch ticks boxes not least the rivalry which equals ticket sales !

5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    You sound like my Mrs.

6. SeanB1

SeanB1 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    Comment of the evening

Astro and nurological like this.
  7. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Head filled with too much 'sports psychology'. I am in no way comparing the resumes when I say I detect 'audley-itis' in Joshua. Audley was a walloping great 6'6 lump, who gave away all his attributes by refusing to fight and focusing on technical variables all coming together, fogging his whole mindset up to the point he sometimes would not even throw a punch and then lose.

tdf1974 and Coybig like this.
  8. Quickeyg

Quickeyg Really really really don't care. Full Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Get the F out of here. That fight we've all seen before. I expect massive gaps in the crowd this time. Hearn flogging goofies a dead horse. Londoners cannot be that stupid to buy into this.

9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua v Whyte does big numbers, Whyte has been calling AJ a cnut all this week on ifltv and the build up would be juicy. Personally I’d rather see a Hrgovic or even a Big Pharmaceutical Miller fight

Wizbit1013 and Beale like this.
  10. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Power does not win you boxing matches, power can be negated with skill. Joshua could have got Franklin out of there quite easily if he had let his hands go but it's a combination of him lacking in confidence and taking a zero risk approach to winning fights due to stage he is at in his career.

If you think he does not have power you must be mad. Plenty of sparring partners have said he is the hardest puncher they have faced. He has knocked every fighter out he faced except for Parker, granite Samoan chin at this stage of his career who was WBO champ and never been knocked down. Andy Ruiz who he was fighting after a terrible KO loss, legit tough guy who never been stopped to this day and Usyk who's chin and skill requires no explanation.

Still the biggest puncher in the division after Wilder.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Brixton Bomber likes this.
  11. SeanB1

SeanB1 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    It'll be packed if Whyte invites all his fake siblings

12. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I can see it now - Dean Vs Cousin Benga BEEF RAW BACKSTAGE IFL

Wizbit1013 and SeanB1 like this.
  13. G-Sting 808

G-Sting 808 Slick Boxing Nerd Full Member

Aug 5, 2023
    Joshua made his name knocking out nobodies. in hindsight it was just clever match making to feed his hype at the time, to make him and even bigger “draw” for the public. Putting him in with glass jawed fighters and watching him smash them up in 1-2 rounds was very cleverly done.

As soon as he stepped up to a better level, his true power was truly shown. Even against the fragile Whyte, he was landing punches and not knocking him out until the 7th. Breazeale (who got KO’d by Wilder in the first round) was taking multiple power shots and stayed in until the 7th.
    Takam was knocked out faster by Chisora, Povetkin and Joe Joyce.
    Klitchsko wasn’t known for his durability and was able to eat Joshua’s biggest shots for 11 rounds.

Joshua has power, no doubt, but his power is not anything special, not anything like we were lead to believe in his early career.
    He’s also scared to death to engage in any real punch ups now. He’s glass jawed himself, with very little heart, so he’s absolutely petrified to throw because he’s terrified of what’s coming back.

His career is a shame because we all fully believed this guy was going to be a Goat at one point, that candle burned out quickly.

14. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    He's been found out.

tdf1974 likes this.