Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua vs. Andrés Ponce Ruiz Jr.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Apr 24, 2019.

A.J. or Destroyer?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2019.
  1. Joshua on points

5.6%
  2. Joshua by stoppage

84.7%
  3. Draw

1.4%
  4. Ruiz on points

1.4%
  5. Ruiz by stoppage

6.9%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I think his disadvantage in height is less serious than Miller's disadvantage in speed would've been, personally. :nusenuse:

2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Disappointing if it does turn out to be Ruiz Jr, I'd prefer Hunter.

He may have quick hands but his movement is poor he's basically a sitting duck, Joshua will have no problem finding his chin. Ruiz Jr looks OK when he can back guys up but Joshua should have no trouble picking him off from the outside and manhandling him on the inside. I thought the Miller fight was a mismatch but this is worse at least the Roid monster had the size to push Joshua back, Ruiz Jr will get beat down bad.

kostya by ko and CST80 like this.
  3. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I agree...neither have a realistic path to victory. If Ruiz were 6'4, entirely different deal, but his best range will be right in AJ's range. It would be different if he wanted to be inside "dirty boxing" and throwing hooks, but from what I know that isn't his game. I've seen him several times but I admit I haven't studied him to any significant degree. Range will be his issue, I don't see how he's going to get into any kind of consistent scoring rhythm, where do those punches live and is it safe there?

IntentionalButt likes this.
  4. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This will look a lot like Vitali vs. Arreola. Fatty tub of lard plodding after AJ trying to land with his midget arms, getting jabbered and hammered with rights all night until its waved off.

5. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    If it is Ruiz, at least he's shown the metal required and will at least give it a go unlike the blatant ducker, Luis 'Baba Yaga, I nearly beat Wilder, honest' Ortizn't.

Mitch87 likes this.
  6. MarcelCerdan13

MarcelCerdan13 Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2017
    His speed’s in his hands, not in his feet, and I think he’d need both to beat Joshua. He throws fast combinations and keeps a tight guard, but as other posters have mentioned he doesn’t have movement to get close to Joshua, he’s slow-footed and comes straight forward. I think he’ll extend Joshua late or maybe even go the distance with him, but I think the closest he can get to an upset outside of Joshua getting really reckless is being kept on the end of a jab all
    Night and losing a boring UD.

destruction likes this.
  7. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I don't understand why Ruiz is so unable to get himself in better looking shape? He must see how his doughboy physique is hurting his marketability?

ipitythefool likes this.
  8. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Well, could be worse...he could stay in horrible shape and not use all that spare time he isn't doing cardio learning the craft, like Arreola..

Sugar 88 and POTUS like this.
  9. TEAM_LOMA

TEAM_LOMA This is Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2019
  10. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    I predict body shot KO that cause Explosive Shart/Diarrhea. Going out on a limb but seeing Ruiz's weight fluctuation/diet, stranger things have happened.

11. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Ruiz just fought this weekend so he should be in better shape
    This content is protected

This content is protected

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  12. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    first fight in his career where he will suffer due to his weight, then he'll realize how easy he's had it.

13. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Fastest hands in the division but hes too short,hes going to have to take big risks to get within range.In saying that Dimentrenko is 6 7 and Ruiz had no trouble getting in but Joshua hits about 100 times harder.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    POTUS likes this.
  14. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    No

15. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Joshua is gonna have trouble with Ruiz speed of hand and foot and not sure if he’s used to getting hit in the body as much as he’s gonna get hit by Ruiz.
    Ruiz would work big baby.
    Anybody dissatisfied with this match is ignorant or stupid or maybe both. Much better match and props to joshua for accepting a tough matchup on short notice.