Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua vs. Jermaine Franklin & Austin Williams vs. River WIlson-Bent RBR.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Astro

Astro Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I have spoken to several people who were present yesterday and they have told me that even during the AJ vs Franklin fight there were many empty seats.

iceferg and Beale like this.
  2. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I think Joe Joyce would break Joshua physically and mentally, I think he'd force him to quit or deliberately get disqualified. We've had a week of interviewers fawning over him, him trying to play the nice guy and then we get that.

3. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    The thing is, despite being on the DAZN platform this is Matchroom TV in all but name. There's no pretence that they are in it for the world of boxing, they're in it for the promoter.

I keep making comparisons to 80s WWF but that's how it feels routinely - all they really need is a Jesse Ventura character to disagree with Bellew now and again and they're just about there (Froch would be ideal but he does it on other platforms instead). Bellew is clearly Gorilla Monsoon, the OK-ish ex-fighter suddenly deemed to be good behind the mic!

Astro and Manning like this.
  4. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Hearn was clearly at it, talking about 200 tickets left etc. That doesn't tell us how many were originally on sale, but "sold out" lets them imply it's full capacity. Pure smoke and mirrors.

Astro likes this.
  5. Manning

Manning Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    The run of oppoenets since Klitschko to Usyk twice was top notch. That's 9 high level foes back to back. Wilder nor Fury have a run like that. Especially Fury.

6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Bet the after party was fun mate

Astro likes this.
  7. Manning

Manning Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Wizbit1013 likes this.
  8. Astro

Astro Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    We are all grown men living in relationships with other men, but 25 - 35 years ago ? Man, I could tell you stories... :)

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  9. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Well it's hardly Seferi, Wallin, and Chisora is it? Come on, cut Tiresome some slack!

10. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Prior to last night performance, although I want Joyce to win that Potential fight, I thought AJ would win. I thought Joyce is too open defensively and slow for AJ and despite having the great chin he has, he wouldn't be able to take AJ landing combinations at will. If Joyce did however make it past the past 7 rounds, then I believe Joyce would have stopped him late.

After the Franklin fight though, if AJ fights that cagey, cautious gunshy being unwilling to be combinations together. Joyce beats him.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Credit where it's due - I did expect you to come up with some reason why Joshua is still the best HW around.. probably using your CV formula, but the above is a fair post.

I think Joyce vs Joshua is a fascinating matchup - I don't rate Joyce as highly as some on here, and think Joshua is probably better than he showed last night. Joyce, for all his toughness, is fairly static - so I think this could be a really interesting one given Joshua, at his best, is possibly the best combination puncher in the division.

Genuine question - as such a critique of fighter's CVs - what are your thoughts on Franklin? Not a great opponent surely?

12. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Up untill the other day I've had seen Franklin fight once before against Forrest. I wasn't impressed with Franklin in that fight and thought Forrest just edged it.

I watched the Franklin Whyte yesterday. I had whyte winning by a point in a very close fight containing a lot close, toughs scoring rounds to judge (so I won't don't begrudge anyone having Franklin edging it).

Although I weren't impressed with Franklin against Forrest, the elements I was impressed with by Franklin in the Whyte fight:

Workrate - out worked Whyte for a large part.

Speed - he's not up there with the like Usyk, Ruiz or Parker for hand speed but he does have a quick jab.

Chin - Got caught with uppercut in the 6th, a big right hand flush in the 10th and got hit some big shots in the final round, all of which Franklin took well. Looks durable and has a good chin.

That said Whyte was poor by his standards, looked much slower than I had seen him before. Whyte didn't look anywhere near the quality he was was against Parker and Rivas.

Furious likes this.
  13. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    Agree with lots of that. I had assumed that Whyte had declined (post PEDs perhaps - but I'm not going to go down that rabbithole) and I expected Joshua to blow Franklin out with ease. I think that was probably Matchroom's expectation too and sets up a Whyte fight very nicely.

I think Whyte peaked against Parker and Rivas and that the gulf between the top 2 (who I rank as Usyk & Fury) the "best of the rest" (who I rank as Joshua, Joyce, Wilder) and the others in the top 20ish is pretty vast.

There are some who I don't know enough about (Hrgovic, Sanchez, Bakole, Makhmudov) either due to not having watched them much or the quality of their opponents to date - but aside from those, I think most of the top 20ish are much of a muchness, with a substantial gap between the top 5 and everyone else.

14. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Astro and Beale like this.
  15. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    Thanks, really appreciate that - historically I have disagreed with Mitch on almost everything he's posted regarding Wilder and Fury, but to his credit - he is always polite, courteous and argues his points consistently.

Would MUCH rather debate with someone like him, even if I vehemently disagree, than some of the idiots you find on the general forum who make things weirdly personal.

Heisenberg, EJC83, Astro and 2 others like this.