Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua vs. Oleksandr Oleksandrovych Usyk

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, May 23, 2021.

AJ or The Cat?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2021.
  1. Joshua on points

27.2%
  2. Joshua by stoppage

31.8%
  3. Draw

2.9%
  4. Usyk on points

19.7%
  5. Usyk by stoppage

18.5%
  1. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Usyk has done well in the past against taller fighters, not with the power of AJ but still his speed and mobility can cause problems for giants. Needs to bring his best ever effort because AJ has hooks, right cross, and uppercuts that can put you down and then he's a good finisher, unless you get him in between punches.

I'm going with Usyk on points or a late stoppage on accumulation.

StiffJeb and gollumsluvslave like this.
  2. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Usyks fought twice since 2018 & is fighting in a division that is dominated by men that have significant size advantages over him. Inactivity is a killer… His lack of experience against top tier heavyweights will tell too.. I don't get why some people are so confident in him here… yes he's a brilliant boxer but for example so is LHW Dmitry Bivol.. yet I don't think Bivol would be as effective at cruiserweight.. I think the outcome of this fight is obvious.. Joshua will be too strong… i can't see him doing the business at HW .. but it should never diminish his cruiserweight legacy.

Quina74 likes this.
  3. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Which taller fighters? What were their heights also?

4. StiffJeb

StiffJeb Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2021
    Joe Joyce, same height as AJ 6'6"; Junior Fa, 6'5"; Matteo Modugno, 6'6.5" ...

Caliboxing likes this.
  5. Vegan Beast

Aug 19, 2020
    No one near AJ's quality then.

6. StiffJeb

Sep 18, 2021
    Similar skill level, around the same height, positives and negatives of their own. Regardless, the question is about height, not about wherever else you happen to have shifted the goalposts to at any point in time.

Caliboxing likes this.
  7. Vegan Beast

Aug 19, 2020
    Similar skill level my ass.

8. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    AJ by KO around the 6th.

9. StiffJeb

Sep 18, 2021
    Compared to AJ's skills in ... what? What exactly does he do well? Getting caught and hurt when he gets too close? Throwing a fluffer jab when he has a foot of reach over an immobile opponent? When has he ever looked impressive in a fight?

Even still ... the goal posts are shifted. Fact is, Usyk has fought very well against super heavyweights of a similar size and with a similar skill level. That's that point resolved.

Safin likes this.
  10. MeatFeastMan

MeatFeastMan Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    I'm not sure how Usyk wins this. The judges will be extremely biased. I think it's more likely for Usyk to get a KO than a decision. That is AJ's big weakness. His chin is okay but not great, it is vulnerable. I don't think this will be a chess match. I expect fireworks because Usyk knows he has to deal serious damage to catch the judges' eyes.

That's how this fight will play out. It won't be cagey. This all comes down to whether Usyk's chin can hold up to Joshua's big punches. If he can, he beats AJ possibly by KO in a fight similar to Ruiz I.

11. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    In the words of Carl The Cobra Froch

TOO BIG , TOO STRONG

12. StiffJeb

Sep 18, 2021
    I'm not quite so pessimistic about the judges.

I think Usyk's team is quite aware of this potential issue and have some of their own power to exercise. I believe there is a Ukrainian judge, no? Usyk is not just some random Eastern European challenger to be exploited, and he has plenty of experience dealing with potentially compromised judges and referees both amateur and professional. They had some objections to the Chisora fight which should at the least have woken them up.

Not saying it won't happen of course, only I think it might be a fairer fight than most of Joshua's.

13. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    We'll know in under 24hrs...

14. JabbaTheGut

JabbaTheGut Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I'm picking Joshua by a close split decision

15. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    What time is the main event?