Any details/rumours of Fury v Whyte undercard?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Throwback, Mar 7, 2022.

1. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    6/700 I think. Wilder Fury 1 did 400k buys at 4am. Bigger fight but Fury is more popular now and it’s not in the AM.

2. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Can I ask what kind of market share or reach BT sport has nowadays?
    • BT Sport 1 viewers reached quarterly UK 2016-2019 | Statista

I haven't lived in the UK for some time, and back then BT sport was a chippy rival to Sky, but a quick look at the website suggests you can now watch BT Sport on Sky's platform for an extra fee.
    But, it sounds like Warren is talking about breaking records...

I don't know, as much as I have always believed Fury v Whyte was a massive fight, breaking records seems...optimistic?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  3. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    If they can get Whyte on board to push it on fight week with a viral moment, it’s definitely does 1m IMO. If Dillian doesn’t want play ball, then bung Dean a few quid to bring a couple of his Brixton boys down to the fight week presser and kick off abit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    velagod likes this.
  4. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    That’s fair mate - but that said literally Tommy is the only name on the undercard that anyone knows. No-one knows who Cacace or Isaac Lowe is. I don’t think Tommy has the pulling power to convert casuals - else he’d headline elsewhere.

I honestly think people won’t be bothered about this undercard. If you’re watching it at a friends or round the pub, you’ll be at the bar, eating crisps and eying someone up until Fury comes on. You have two young lads knocking 10 bells of **** out of each other it’ll grab a few peoples attention.

To be fair, I don’t think either of us are right. If they had 5 English title fights on the undercard or the current undercard, I think it sells the same and makes the same.

5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    You're likely correct, but some of us have a line in the sand. If the undercard looks like an insult to the intelligence, which this one does, then it turns me off the fight altogether.

This is coming from someone that's wanted BT Sport and Frank to thrive and do well as a counterbalance to Sky and Matchroom as was. They were always lower budget but they worked hard in presentation and marketing and Frank is well capable of having a couple of fights lower down that card that would satisfy genuine boxing fans. He hasn't done it because he thinks like you that he has my money in the bag, well he doesn't and with that card he can do one.

Finkel, VanBasten, aaaaa and 3 others like this.
  6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    You can actually buy this event via SKY as well i see

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  7. aaaaa

Dec 19, 2020
    Warren has been on TalkSport defending the undercard. Says he can’t put his main attractions on for the following reasons:

Dubois - tied up with the WBA
    Yarde - doesn’t want to risk an injury as he’s got the winner of Beterbiev v Smith
    Joyce - broken wrist
    Sheeraz - can’t fight because of Ramadan

pow likes this.
  8. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Ramadan an excuse is shocking from Fish Face

Plenty of sports stars perform during Ramadan and Muhammed Ali never ever used that as an excuse.

9. Finkel

Feb 10, 2020
    I saw that interview too. Some of them are fair enough, but the Yarde one is stretching credulity.

Yarde fought in December, but Beterbiev v Smith isn't until June 18th. So does that mean Warren is going to put Yarde on the shelf for potentially a year?! Shocking that. Yarde taking a tune up would improve this card exponentially. And given most of the match-ups are against opponents knocking on the door of the top 200, I don't understand what justification he has for not putting Yarde on there too.

Just sounds like he is cheaping out on the undercard and now desperately trying to polish a turd.

Plus, given we know he had Anderson (Top Rank) v Hammer, until Anderson got injured, why isn't there a replacement for that fight. It would have made sense to maybe put Ajagba (TR) in against Hammer to build his profile back up a little after the loss to Sanchez; this would also actually build some interest in the undercard outside of Queensbury's hardcore fans.

Holler likes this.
  10. aaaaa

Dec 19, 2020
    Joyce hasn’t fought since July, Dubois since August and Yarde since December. Think he’s just saving them for a big fight/payday now instead of risking them losing as he doesn’t have much left which is pretty crap.

ipitythefool and Finkel like this.
  11. Finkel

Feb 10, 2020
    I mean if he has signed for the Bryan fight, he isn't actually allowed to engage in another fight inbetween because it could damage the commercial interests of the pursebid winner (King) if Dubois was to lose.

Also I thought Joyce was injured. Though that might very well have been a convenience due to the IBF looking for an opponent to fight Hrgovic

12. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Might see an upset here

13. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Whyte will have to attend both the press conference and weigh in. Fury is never out of camp until fight week, same went for the Wilder fight when everybody was complaining there had been no promotion, he does very few interviews and does not interact with the press or social media. Nothing unusual here. Dean wont be bringing any 'Brixton boys' down to the presser he has no interest in promoting the fight either and he is also terrified of Shane Fury. They are on a fixed fee.

14. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    If you can name me other Muslim boxers you see fighting in Ramadan please let me know. I would suggest it's very rare to see. I give FW plenty of stick but you can't blame him for a Muslim fighter refusing to fight in Ramadan.

Also regarding Muhammad Ali. The reason you never saw him not fighting in Ramadan is because for the majority of his boxing career he was not Sunni Muslim and was instead following the Nation of Islam deviant sect. Them guys never even practiced fasting in Ramadan so of course it would be no problem for Ali.

Finkel likes this.
  15. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Prince Patel the greatest ever boxer to come out of these shores who fought all over the world whether during Ramadan or facing Jo Jo Dan