any ideas on how to make boxing for kids more fun?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Relentless, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    i help my coaches train beginners every tuesdays and thursdays, some of the older boys are ok with training hard but then you have the wannabe teens who come in just to call themselves boxers and the kids who complain about it being boring, any ideas on how to make training more fun?

2. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    My philosophy is to make it extra boring. Make them stand in front of the mirror and jab for two weeks. Weeds out the annoying wanna be's.

If they really want to box and they love the sport, then you shouldn't have to 'make it more fun'. Ideally, they would be eager to learn and the basics would be fun enough for them to stick with it.

3. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    the 'wannabes' are also very keen to spar.

4. amy

May 23, 2006
    Of course they are. It's always the first thing they ask. I find it incredibly irritating.

5. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    don't make it fun, that's the whole point.

6. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    If they don't find the actual shadow boxing and hard training fun/motivating, really shoudln't be in there and its best for them to get to....

7. tri-pod

tri-pod Guest

if they ever complain just give them alot of pushups and if they keep on complaining make them run and do pushups the whole practice

8. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    i think i asked the wrong question, basically i want to add more variety, right now what we make them do is 3 rounds of everyhing (bag, shadow, rope etc) followed by ground work and some pads, i want to do something different but we only have an hour.

9. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Make soem sort of competition out of it with them. Not sure how you could implement it, but it will motivate some to really give it everything, everyone likes competing, the **** ones will be determined to up their game, and by offering a small prize/accumalted points for something, or some **** to the winner, it keeps people interested.

Maybe?

10. amy

May 23, 2006
    :lol: Kolya did that to this little wigger punk whiner at our gym one night and the next day his mom called the coach and complained. :rofl

11. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm gonna make it miserable for all those little *******s at the gym tonight.

12. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I disagree with some of the posters here. I like to try and make sure that people are having fun. Some people just awant the exercise, or a fun activity. No need to train every one as if they are trying to become the champ.

I like to let begginers spar, but here's the catch.
    They only spar with me. That way no one gets hurt, and they get to throw punches at someone. I don't do it for a long time, just sort of as a little reward after the main lessons.
    Sometimes I'll sit there and cover up, or somethimes I'll make myself really hard to catch. You have to try and guage people's interest, and whether or not they are having fun.

13. amy

May 23, 2006
    Says who? I ain't doing **** you tell me to do. :shake

14. amy

May 23, 2006
    Good points.

15. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Well you're not one of those little *******s, are you?