Any thoughts on Marcel Cerdan

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ron davis, Jun 5, 2024.

1. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    A great defensive fighter/boxer and terrific puncher.

thistle likes this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Overrated.

Next...

mcvey likes this.
  3. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Against Zale, looked like a real mechanic. He was crafty in close, threw triple left hooks which the only other fighter I've seen do that was Robinson, so he impressed me in that fight. To be honest, could have had the right opponent that particular evening to look good against.

Still wondering about those fights against Cyrille Delanoit though. I also know he was KO'ed in the last round against Anton Raadik but was saved by the bell, (I've been told, and read, different accounts so I don't know for sure exactly how it ended). Took a beating against Jake who really crowded him in close, but they say Cerdan fought with an injured arm.

He had an impressive record.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    TipNom, mcvey and ron davis like this.
  4. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Cerdan is still around, almost eighty. Graduated from New Hampshire U, with a degree in English lit. Born in Weymouth. Cerdan was a tour guide in NYC, at NBC. Even worked for The Tonight Show, with Carson. Cerdan worked to get sitcoms like Happy Days, Mork and Mindy and Soap developed. Cerdan was even partly behind The Cosby Show, A Different World, Roseanne, Grace Under Fire, 3rd Rock from the Sun, That '70's Show, so many things. It's what got Cerdan inducted into the Television Hall of Fame.

5. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    Jake LaMotta got into a clinch with Cerdan and threw him down and fell on top of him, injuring his arm and wasn't able to punch or protect himself, thou he tried hanging in there with one good wing. It looked deliberate. I believe it happened in the 1st rd. Cerdan would have won the fight.

Anubis and Saintpat like this.
  6. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    What are you some kind of a nut?

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  7. Boxed Ears

Jul 28, 2009

What?

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    I viewed the fight on utube and it shows Jake throwing Cerdan down (part cut out) of Jake falling on Cerdan. Newspaper clippings of the fight would mention this point, may even have taken shots of the moment.

9. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Certainly. I don’t see Cerdán over-rated at all, personally. If anything, he’s not talked about enough.

10. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    Cerdan was killed when his airplane crashed.

Saintpat and Boxed Ears like this.
  11. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  12. Boxed Ears

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm sorry, I had a smudge on my spectacles and I thought it said Marcy Carsey. I don't really know who Cerdan is. That's very interesting.

cross_trainer and Turnip mk3 like this.
  13. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    there are a few people here that won't give Cerdan the credit he deserves, which doesn't make much sense, he was a devastating fighter, knockout puncher, tough & hard as they come, a great guarded fighting style and visibly proven champion.

also, a thing that few people cite, Fleischer saw him as early as 1938 or 39 and championed him from then, damn near everyone that saw him marvelled at him, it is equally plain to see on film and it was at the late stages of his career where the U.S got to see him. He was only 2 years younger than Zale and the two had been fighting for near enough the same amount of years...

Cerdan is one of Boxing's True Greats, and ATG all day long.

a pleasure to behold!

BoB Box, ron davis and Turnip mk3 like this.
  14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Boxed lives in a parrallel universe,we are used to him.

cross_trainer, BoB Box and Boxed Ears like this.
  15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I think he is a bit overated.
    His best wins are
    Abrams.
    Dellanoit 2.
    Williams who would lose 9 of his next 14 fights.
    Raadik whose resume is underwhelming,floored him.
    Green really a welter /light middle.
    Cerdan caught Zale at the right time,in fairness to him he may have been a bit past his beat himself,but he hadn't been in the wars Zale had,nor had he lost prime years to the war.
    Even steven with Dellanoit,never fought Villemain.
    I don't think Cerdan was as good as that other Marcel . Marcel Thil,there is a lot of filler on his record imo , welters and nobodies.
    How many world class men did he beat in his115 fights ?
    Was Cerdan better than Dauthille who beat 5 or 6 top rankers including Lamotta ?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    BoB Box and Fireman Fred like this.