Anybody else miss HBO boxing on a Saturday night? These stream services aint cutting it for me...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by El Chicano, Mar 23, 2019.

1. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Lamplet was too much of drama queen for me personally. I was hoping HBO changed their commentary crew a bit. I'm glad they cut the cord.

slender4 likes this.
  2. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    when boxing has that american heavyweight superstar hbo will go after him and will come back, im sure.

3. PunchersChance.

PunchersChance. Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Agree about Lampley even though I kind of like the guy. Got too emotionally attached to fighters to call a fight fairly.

4. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    This is the biggest miss.

Excellent sound,analysis,a variety of voices,a judges view,full corner work and translation.It was superb,really top class production values.

5. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    HBO's production was getting long in the tooth though, the graphics and the intros and all that hadn't changed that much since the 80's. It just had a dated feel to it, they even had Larry Merchant drunk on camera for YEARS before they cut the cord, and Lampley was starting to sound like an old man also.

I loved HBO, but even though it had many great nights, the sport needed an infusion of new blood.

DAZN definitely hasn't figured it out yet, Arum has some very good cards as well as some stinkers, GBP is finished, Oscar should just pull the plug, and never let Bernard do color on another fight. PBC has some shite fights, but they know how to promote what they have. All of the Ghetto boys threatening to get together and kill each other in Brooklyn last year was classic.

Badbot likes this.
  6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Great sign-off.

This content is protected

Badbot likes this.
  7. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Agreed!! I’m older then many here, when I was first watching boxing the sound of Barry Tompkins, Larry Merchant and Sugar Ray Leonard on HBO calling fights was perfection!!!! When Lampley replaced Tompkins, which I believe Jim’s first HBO fight was Tyson vs Tubbs as Jim had came over from ABC. I missed Barry but grew to love Jim as well. Then Ray left and we had some nights with Gil Clancy joining the team and then a big chunk with Jim, Larry and George Foreman, a team I also loved. Over the years we added Roy and Manny and tried out many others (Lennox, Ward) I never expected them (HBO) to go away, I was gutted when they did. I of course now pay for all the new streaming services and I enjoy them but HBO (for me anyway) are GIANT SHOES to fill. Like others said the production was just top notch!! I used to love all the features on the fighters that were a part of all the broadcasts in the 80’s and in most of the 90’s, the stories were remarkable for a boxing fan in a pre internet era. Now we have access to everything immediately so you’re not likely to learn anything new on a broadcast. But times change and here we are.

Keleneki and slender4 like this.
  8. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Yeah.....every card I watch I think about it. But true to the greats in boxing, they can never just retire. HBO is going to come out of retirement for a big fight, true to the sport.

9. JacK Rauber

JacK Rauber Try not to offend, try harder not to be offended Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I agree. It was well done. The music, the lead up, the hype and most importantly they delivered on content. They put some incredible cards together. Some brutal KOs.