Anyone else not sold on Calum Smith?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Jojojojo

Jojojojo Member banned Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Beat the best of Groves and hurt him everytime he landed , would have destroyed any version of Frooch , doesn't have the profile he should

2. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Won't go down well here but Billy Joe is a classic example of fancy foot work = ring IQ

Billy Joe doesnt have a very good ring IQ at all. Billy Joe is just a supremely gifted fighter.
    He is actually pretty thick in the ring and doesn't know how to pace himself. Tries to look flashy too much and wastes a lot of energy.
    Can easily be forced into a tear up, and has been made hold on for dear life many a time in the ring because of his own stupidity not like he claims because he doesnt live the life.

Only looked good against Lemieux because he was just looking for 1 punch and is even dumber than Bill

3. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    He is obviously a talent. Good fighter. But I'm not sold on him. Any decent fighter would have beaten Groves that night. He was on his last legs really.

4. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    As long as he can make 168 without becoming a zombie I'm sold. With his formidable size coupled with decent boxing ability I'd favour him over any 168 fighter.

175 is a different animal however, there are excellent technical boxers and huge punchers there. I'm sure Smith can be competitive but he would take some losses there.

5. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Pretty much this.

6. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Good fighter, can't see anyone beating him at 168.

If It was me in my ideal world would get plant over in a unification, winner of Degale v Eubank and then move to 175 next year.

Greatest Story likes this.
  7. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Good fighter don’t get me wrong but If he wasn’t such a freak who could make a crazy low weight for his size he’d never have been a world champ. Groves and even Rebrasse would have beat him. But he is so fair play to him. I don’t understand how people can slag him off for fighting at that weight. Boxing is about using your advantages, he’d be stupid not to while he can.

8. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I big him up for beating Groves but do you really think that was the best Grroves?

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  9. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m sure Groves won every round and nearly kod the pea head with one arm. No way Groves was ever going to beat Smith, his height and reach was all wrong for Groves’ style. Doesn’t mean Groves was past it. Smith would do that to any SMW.

Greatest Story, moog and Accurate like this.
  10. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    My thoughts exactly.

moog likes this.
  11. Mavin

Mavin New Member Full Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I agree it wasn’t the best Groves but he absolutely punished him. Set traps and a high work rate that Groves didn’t want. I like Callum Smith a lot and think he’ll dominate the 168 division until he has to go up in weight (which I think he’ll have to eventually). I actually think he’s better than a lot of people give him credit for, just like his brothers though he doesn’t have a great public backing and this hurts his media coverage.

moog likes this.
  12. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    So did he get lucky against groves then?

How are you a prospect if you beat George Groves convincingly?

Callum is a big guy but Groves ain't a small SMW himself.

Greatest Story, Scissors and Jojojojo like this.
  13. Jojojojo

Jojojojo Member banned Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Overall yes physically maybe not. What would you call the best of Groves?

14. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I have heard a lot of people, some in his camp and some not, say that he very much rises to his opponents level. They have said he can have a very average spar with an average fighter, put him in with someone good and he raises his levels beyond belief. Which in fairness will fit in with his career so far.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Scissors likes this.
  15. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He’s quality. He’s never once been in trouble or look hurt, he rises to the big occasion every time. The power in his shots is phenomenal m and his shot selection is brilliant. That mightn’t have been the best version of Groves but he absolutely took him apart, he was brilliant. Callum will wipe that division clean, I hope he gets the winner of Degale - Eubank, I think he will get more credit and recognition for destroying them then unifying the division, which is a bit sad really but it is what it is.