Anyone else not that impressed with Shane mc's corner work on Saturday??

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Smithson, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Smithson

Smithson Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Shane mcguigan seems like a good coach on the outside looking in. however when the sky cameras where on his corner on Saturday he seemed to have little in the way of good instructions for carl. They were all completely gobsmacked that Cruz came out and actually boxed. I know they didn't under estimate him but they certainly under estimated his boxing ability. Great fighters make adjustments mid fight easily and great trainers know how to switch up gameplans round by round if needed. I don't think we are dealing with anything great in this duo.

Canning likes this.
  2. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    It's hard to say for sure as we only got to hear his instructions about twice thanks to sky and their add breaks.

However, I too was alarmed that they never figured that LSC could/would box that way.
    And yes, from the little I saw from Shane it wasn't the best advice. However, due to what Nelson said post fight (obviously they were able to get all the corner work in the studio) he was actually quite direct in his disappointment on Shane which is enough to fill any blanks for me.

Having said all of that, I don't agree with any talk of Shane not being good enough off the back of one performance. Leo was excellent and deserved the win.

Canning, goku23, mcvey and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Just one performance not sure you can really judge too much, but with a stable of Haye, Groves, Frampton am not too sure they need that much instruction.

Seen Bellew say this week Shane is in awe of Haye?? For once he maybe right we shall see.

4. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I thought Carl needed a rocket up his arse in the last few rounds cos it was obvious the fight was tight and he was losing grip. Didn't see anything to show me he has the motivational ability you need at that level but he's young and ready to learn so I reckon this fight will do him nothing but good for the future.

5. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Poor performance in the corner.
    Told Carl he'd list the 8th...when he needed a morale boost and by the way it was a round which he won! WON!

At the start of the 12th told Carl to use his feet and stay away....this to a fighter who was behind and needed a knockdown....!

Almost joe gallagher level stuff!

Canning, mcvey and woombox like this.
  6. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Now now that is going a bit far :thumbsup:

7. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    That round where he told Carl that he lost when Carl edged it was probably motivational from Shane. Carl's best round and by telling him he lost it Shane was probably trying to encourage Frampton to up his game even further.

It's more reasonable to criticise a coach for telling his fighter he won a round that he probably lost than the other way round.

Furey likes this.
  8. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shane knows him man better than anyone, both he and Carl respect each other hugely.
    I got to laugh at the fools who try and knock Shane after his fighter lost to another great fighter in a close fight whilst no exactly being at his best.
    Simply put Carl lost to the better man on that particular night

goku23, Furey, lawslaw and 3 others like this.
  9. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    28 years old, first blotch of note on the record v a future HOF opponent in a close fight. I'd cut him some slack. Both he and Carl will come back stronger from this.

Twentyman and lawslaw like this.
  10. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Maybe he showed his lack of experience a little bit.

Wont be jumping on him though he has done a great job so far

11. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    agree 100% big man:thumbsup:

12. Smithson

Smithson Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Billy the instructions he was given frampton in the corner to me didn't make a lot of sense. In the last round he was telling him to use his feet and stay away? What would you of told him to do?

lencoreastside likes this.
  13. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    This content is protected

He needed to say you need a knock down or a knockout but he didn't, it was a bizarre bit of advice when it was obvious he was losing.

undercut and lencoreastside like this.
  14. Two Shakes

Two Shakes Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    All he's done is fall on his feet by inheriting three fighters that were trained and moulded by Gerry Storey and Adam Booth.

undercut likes this.
  15. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I think shane was asking him to move his feet into range to allow him to get his shots off, not move away thinking they were ahead that would have imp been wrong of him but I'm sure folk have picked up what was said in the wrong context