Anyone here read "Live Fast, Die Young the Life and Times of Harry Greb"?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Well i remember All you need is Love from the Beatles....

Mr Butt, Nighttrain and BlackCloud like this.
  2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    My neighbour is Jimmy, a Muslim Indian restauranteur. Lovely chap He hates bleeding hearts!

BlackCloud likes this.
  3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    **** series.Baah HumBug!

BlackCloud likes this.
  4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Seems a bit off-topic but ok:

Most black Americans seem to more or less accept that lots of other black people use a variation of the n-word (ending in an "a" never an "er"). I've met plenty who adamantly oppose this, but they're in the minority. Same is true with respect to biracials (it's complicated but under America's racial conventions, the vast majority of black-white biracials are considered black). In fact, many black people are even fine with certain other non-whites using the term, but those people do so at their own risk, especially around strangers.

But getting back to Pat's posts. I completely disagree with the manner in which he's equated "negro" with "the n-word." But if people insist on defending an inappropriate and outdated word, I don't see why it's wrong for him to keep arguing back. He shouldn't have to bite his tongue just because the mostly middle-aged white men of this forum decide that they should be able to use the word "negro" if they feel like it.

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Very cursory but informative background:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_.../01/when_did_the_word_negro_become_taboo.html

"According to a 1968 Newsweek poll, more than two-thirds of black Americans still preferred Negro, but black had become the majority preference by 1974. Both the Associated Press and the New York Times abandoned Negro in the 1970s, and by the mid-1980s, even the most hidebound institutions, like the U.S. Supreme Court, had largely stopped using Negro."

Nice short piece by very smart (and biracial) law professor/historian Martha Jones:
    https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/living/biracial-black-identity-answers/index.html

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    No.

No.

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Jesus, you guys went nuts in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.