Anyone here use Rowing Machines?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by red boy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. red boy

red boy Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2011
    What are you view on them? I used one last night and I thought it was a good alternative to running. Did 2000m and it gave legs, arms and back a good work out I thought.

Will be using it again tonight.

2. HoldMyBeer

HoldMyBeer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2010
    they are pretty hardcore but i wouldn't use them as an alternative to running.
    still, it's good to mix things up and you seem keen to get back into it, so that's all the reason you need to do it

3. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2007
    they are great imo, nothing is an alternative to anything just different!

i used to just do 10 mins on it to warm up. then got into it trying to make it intense as possible. This was at the public gym i was using and a guy came up to me and challenged me to see if i could get close to his record and what he said was a good time for 1000m , which he said anything under 4 mins was good. My first go i got 3.40. Now im not saying this is good as i dont know but it shut him up so i assumed his wasnt as good.

Anyways thats beside the point what it did make me realise that the best way to use them is in intervals. I started just doing 3 x 1000m always aiming to get my times down. Or sometimes 3 x 1 min aiming to get as many meters as possible. My fitness really improved , but then again this could be said for any exercise once you make it intense and not just go through the motions for 10 mins

4. red boy

May 16, 2011
    I like the sound of the interval training on the rowing machine. I think I will try that tonight.

Think I will do a 2 mile run on the machine at a good pace then do some rowing machine action too.

5. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    well put it this way i was extremely fit at the time and yes i beat this guys record but man i was dying in the process! always a good sign:lol:

6. Matt Ldn

Matt Ldn Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Im a big fan of the rowing machine. If you put the resistance up and do short intense sessions its incredible. A good way to mix it up aswell. You see people who are good runners/cyclists buckle after a few minutes on the rowing machine.

7. red boy

May 16, 2011
    Johnboy - you should have seen the state of me last night, I was all over the place, grunting, sweat all over me. The bloke next to me must have thought i was a right oddjob haha

MattLDN - I will play around with the settings tonight, last night i was just glad the machine worked....my gym is falling to pieces.

8. RightHooker

RightHooker Active Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I have one at home and often use it because I have issues with my knees/shins from running, but one problem is if I go real hard on the rowing machine in the morning then my arms are kinda tired for the boxing gym in the evening.

That's one good thing about running, I can run 5miles or do sprints but my arms are still fresh for boxing.

9. sunderland lad

sunderland lad Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    i like the rowing machine as it puts less pressure on your joints than running and warms up your upper body as well as your lower body

10. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    good stuff mate just experiment!

Matt LDN iv been told be 3 rowers now that they never have the machine on full resistance only on 5-6 setting. They reckon bad for your joints and form. But iv got nothing more substantial on it than that.

11. Muel

Muel Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2011

12. vonLPC

vonLPC Active Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I like it but it is harder to get heart rate higher from a seated position as opposed to a standing position. Still an excellent workout.

13. red boy

May 16, 2011
    I was thinking do a 2.5mile run at a fast pace to get the heart rate going then do a 2000m go on the rowing machine.

14. Jose Walston

Jose Walston New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Yes, they are hardcore. Maybe, you are probably familiar with Concept 2 rowing machines. I had Model D and I used it for the last 4 years and never had a single problem with it. I just use two machines for my workout "ellptical and rowing machines" and they both are fun to use. Help me remain fit and active all day long!