Anyone on here go to the fight in Cardiff

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by welshjason, Oct 28, 2017.

1. welshjason

welshjason Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Just wondered what you thought of the venue , atmosphere and Cardiff as a whole

2. welshjason

welshjason Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2015
  3. Pez

Pez Active Member Full Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Was at the fight last night, was a decent atmosphere but stadium didn't really fill up until around 8pm. As you could imagine a lot of fans only cared to see AJ so the atmosphere for the other fights weren't as good as they would have been for an arena. For the main event the atmosphere was buzzing though.

As for Cardiff itself we were in and out but getting a taxi back to our hotel was a nightmare. Think a lot of people would have had trouble getting out of there tbh.

4. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Cardiff isn't a big city and struggles with concerts at the stadium and the boxing. Just not enough hotels or trains to cope with it all.

However because its the only indoor stadium in the UK its in a great position for AJ'S fights outside of the end of april til end of august.

5. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I was there.

Atmosphere was good. Weren’t as good as Wembley though and I expected it to top it with the roof being closed.

The city struggled to be honest. I don’t think it could handle and event of the magnitude. It was a nightmare getting in the ground with the queues.

It might not have been the best boxing card but it was a good event. Went out in Cardiff afterwards and stayed over too. Just on the way home.

7/10

6. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I went and decided I'm never doing a stadium boxing event again. Literally can't see anything even the screens were ****

Cardiff had a friendly atmosphere afterwards not much trouble. Think Joshua brings a more middle road sort of bunch.

Im from Cardiff and when they get these big events the infrastructure definitely fails to cope. Such a shame the council don't really pull their finger out their ass. Apparently some people waited 5 hrs to get a taxi wtf Get in the pub

JOSEY WALES likes this.
  7. Beez

Beez Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2017
    I went... and I agree I don't think i will be going to another stadium fight any time soon.

The atmosphere was amazing during the AJ fight, it was clear like someone else said that the majority of the crowd were there for just the AJ fight and that affected the atmosphere early on during the undercard as the people that were in there didnt seem bothered by the fights.

I am looking forward to watching it back aswell because even though we were sitting on the floor it wasnt the best view to actually take in the fights.

Didnt seem any trouble either in or out of the ground. Someone said there was a scuffle behind us and did see a few security people rushing off but they were coming back passed us in minutes carting someone out. So for 78,000 in there seeing only one incident i thought was quite good.

Like you said above aswell getting a taxi back to the hotel was absolute nightmare and there were thousands of people everywhere all night. Cash machines weren't working either did anyone else notice that... cost me extra in a cab to drive round trying 3 different cash machines on the way home!

overall good experience but not ideal.

8. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I went to the fight, the amount of people doing coke in the toilets was madness and the amount of people I saw get kicked out and also running to the Bogs in between rounds was hilarious.

9. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why anyone would go to a stadium fight is beyond me?... you end up trying to watch it on a screen anyway ,you might as well be at home or in pub...

Id rather watch a domestic scrap in an arena than any World title fight in stadium....i went to an outdoor fight in Hull and could not see a thing and it was fuxking freezing so went to pub after 1 fight and watched it on TV..never again

10. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Yea small halls, ice rinks, arenas I've seen some great fights. Your over the ring and most seats are adequate. You can see all the action and soak up the atmosphere. I think people go to stadiums just to say they went. Most seats apart from ringside are terrible

Stadiums are shitte for all sports (apart from speedway been lots times to millennium and it was brilliant) .

11. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I agree I went to the Brook v Spence fight and it just wasn’t worth the hassle. I’d only go again if I was right up close