Anyone think Erik Skoglund can beat Callum Smith?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Jul 16, 2017.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I think this is a banana skin for Callum. Skoglund is a slick boxer and this is a massive step up for Smith (although it is for Skoglund too). Might have a cheeky punt at Skoglund on points here.

pow likes this.
  2. Boxingfan200

Boxingfan200 USYK #1 P4P banned Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    smith destroys him I think personally.

3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Nothing to suggest it's really a step up from Skejkloca and Rebrasse tbh, can't see anything other than a Smith win. He may be rusty in parts ideal fight to win and get cobwebs of and for him to move on to the next round.

4. Izaak97

Izaak97 Active Member Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Skoglund pretty much lost to Luke Blackledge so really can't see him bringing anything at all that could trouble Smith tbh

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Easy work for Smith -- stoppage or wide points win

6. Bax183

Bax183 Member Full Member

May 21, 2017
    I don't give Skoglund a chance tbh.

7. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Good odds if you fancy Skolglund. Not really seen enough of him yet, may have to binge youtube.

I think there is a heck of a lot of quality in the tourny, and some great match ups.

8. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    smith stoppage as soon as he lands clean, there is no question that smith has great power and he is massive at the weight.

9. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I know m8 seen a picture of him and Uysk together at the draw and if you didn't know who they were u would have been debating who the Cruiserweight was. Joe G said last week when Callum was asked about going up to LHW that and Cruiserweight !

Twentyman likes this.
  10. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I just think people are overrating Smith's power. I also bought into the hype after he stopped Fielding and Mohoumadi in the first rounds but then we saw him labour against a 5'7" Reynoso. I think people who have commented saying Smith will "destroy" him or stop him "as soon as he lands clean" are underrating Skoglund and overrating Smith's power.

Not to mention if Smith fights the typical Joe G tuck-uo-high-guard-no-head-movement strategy, Skoglund could build a lead on points. I don't think this will be a wipeout, but we'll see on the night. Skoglund's fight with Blackledge was four years ago, don't read too much into that. I still favour Smith here but Skoglund is a smart boxer.

lucky luke and lawslaw like this.
  11. Pez

Pez Active Member Full Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Not 100% sold on Smith being the next big thing at Super middle but I think he'll have more than enough for Skoglund and should win by stoppage.

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I've said this before but I think he will eventually fight at light heavy and cruiser...but he should stay at SM for as long as possible because he has power.

He did labour through that fight I agree. I got the sense that he was just using him for a bit of sparring to shake off the ring rust. Had that been the headline fight at the echo or whoever, he'd have leathered him in the first round.

13. Liverpool82

Liverpool82 Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Didn't see the Blackledge fight but remember thinking Skoglund looked pretty classy when he beat joey Ainscough.

14. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
  15. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Perfect match up for Smith, Skoglund gets by on size alone and Smith is even bigger than him.

Think Smith wins easily, but I think people are being a bit delusional about power.

Smith is a monster puncher but 1 punch ko's are very rare at this level!!! Skoglund isn't the type to just fall over, of course he's going to last rounds. Even if the fight goes 12, it doesn't mean Smith is featherfisted, maybe Skoglund is just tough.