Archie Moore Quotes on the Marciano fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bummy Davis, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rusak

rusak Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Yeah, except Marciano didn't really pin Moore on the ropes. Moore went over to the ropes himself, and every time he made a concerted effort to get off the ropes, he succeeded. It's just that once he was hurt, he never completely recovered, never got his legs back.

2. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    There was no rest for Moore, on the ropes, the middle of the ring, Marciano just kept punching from different angles.....Moore thought Marciano was going to be easy to hit but it was a different story sharing a ring with the man. Marciano poured it on and turned it up when he wanted to.

Moore stated the right hand he threw was one of the hardest punches he ever threw and that is pretty impressive for a man who owns the All Time KO record but Marciano jumped right up and other than that flash KD, Rocky dominated Moore, who was on his greatest win streak over the top heavyweight and light heavyweights of the era

3. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I remember that. He was just throwing and throwing and throwing. What makes it so remarkable is that after ~10 consecutive Marciano punches, Moore comes back but Marciano immediately ducks and slips. Most sluggers can't be bothered by defense after that intensity. Marciano was wild but always kept his cool.

4. Lord Tywin

Lord Tywin Guest

Yeah, it was impressive. Its easy to underrate the Rock these days but he was a beast.

I watched that fight with a buddy a couple of months ago. I had not seen it in a few years and it was like watching it for the first time again. I just could not get over how active Marciano was.

Its a great film to watch because you can read both guys so well. You can just watch Moore thinking and trying to lay traps. Then when Marciano starts pouring on the punches you can see Moore thinking to himself "I'll just slip and move and in a few more punches he will get arm weary and then its my turn."

When he starts to realize that Marciano is not getting arm weary and the punches keep coming he seems to age 10 years in seconds. You can just watch the worry creep over his face.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Moore did make Rocky miss quite a bit. In one round I counted 17 or 19 ( I forget the exact number ) clean whiffs where Rocky's gloves touched nothing but air.

Moore lacked the durability and stamina to defeat Marciano when they meet. I think Rocky looked at his best vs. Layne, Louis, and Walcott. He looked like he was on the decline vs. Moore.

6. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I agree, he was getting slower and slower with each fight after 1952, even if only a bit. Against Moore his punches didn't seem as sharp as they were against Louis, Layne, or Walcott.

Using brute strength, power, and work rate, he demolished Moore, though.

7. Mega Lamps

Mega Lamps Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Two amazing fighters; Marciano and Moore. Great era of boxing, it would be incredible to see them fighting today with better quality cameras and angles.

8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Moore was over forty when he fought Marciano ... while he was able to pull it together against many heavyweights even at an advanced age he could not against the best two he faced in Marciano and Patterson ...

Moore also said " whenever I'm asked to name the best I ever fought they always want to hear Marciano but it was Burley."

9. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005

Moore was 38 when he fought Marciano. Not over 40. I also think Marciano fought a better prepared slighty improved version of Moore than Patterson did.

Funny how Moore said Burley was the best he ever fought, instead of Ezzard Charles. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Charles was far greater than Burley.

10. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It Took Moore many years to develop as a fighter. He became the great veteran fighter because he had the sense to preserve himself on the road during the war years against a lower level of fighter when he couldn’t get a break into the big time. Nobody could when the titles were frozen anyway. You either kept fighting other contenders or went on the road. The California circuit was too competitive and he couldn’t get a break in New York so he went on the road. By doing so Archie was able to outlast a lot of talented guys who burnt each other out then cashed in with all his experience. Moore was a well preserved, experienced fighter, as close to an old head on young shoulders as you will ever get. His efficient style evolved out of necessity and it made him a better fighter then he would have been in his 20’s IMO.

11. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Funny how you quote as if you have undisputed facts ... Moore's age remains hugely open to debate ... very, very few non-nuthuggers claim with any degree of certainty he was 38 ... regardless, the knockdown aside after round two it was not that close a fight because Moore was old and could not maintain the pace a still prime Marciano forced him to maintain ... doubtful he beats Marciano even at his best ...

12. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Question is how many prime fighters would be able to maintain that pace. Not many.

13. Lord Tywin

Lord Tywin Guest

According the 1920 census Moore was just over three years old at the time. Making his birthdate 1916. He would have been 38 when he fought Marciano.

The confusion about his age arose from his mother claiming the date as 1913.

There is a big difference in size between 3 year old and a 6 year old as any parent knows.

I'll go with the official record on this one.

14. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I think Moore was pretty close to his best in 1955, riding a 45 fight winning streak! He was certainly a better fighter in 1955 than he was in 1945.

Moore was born in 1916 according to the census, so deal with it. Moore was 38 when he fought Rocky.

If you want me to pinpoint Moore's absolute prime? I would say 1952 age 35. Like bernard Hopkins, Moore aged like fine wine.

15. lefe

lefe Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2010
    You dont know if Moore was born 1916 and nobody would never know his birth date but most people believe that he was born 1913.