Are both Wilder AND Fury now 'bums'?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by The Mighty One, Dec 2, 2018.

1. The Mighty One

The Mighty One Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 20, 2008
    . . . .for years Deontay Wilder has been criticized as a bum who never fought anyone and had no chin. I guess now that Tyson Fury had a draw with him then both are 'bums'?. . . You have to believe that experts who post on boxing forum sites. Certainly because they watch boxing from the comfort of their living room chairs they can't be wrong.

2. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    How on Earth have you worked that out lol

They are 2 of the top 3 heavyweights in the world, no they aren’t bums

Southpawswitch and Potwash like this.
  3. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    They will put bums on seats when they meet again for sure

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    305th likes this.
  4. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Both of their stock went up last night IMO.

305th and BXNG101 like this.
  5. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  6. BritBox

BritBox Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Tyson's the biggest winner out of the two. His marketability has risen, he's now seen as the People's Champion, what with his back story and proving those that doubted he could go in with Wilder off the 2 and a half year layoff and the two tune ups he had.

You can bet now that any card that he headlines or is part of will no doubt sell out 99 times out of 100.

He's got a major bargaining tool in negotiations with AJ, with what I have stated in my opening paragraph and that's only going to benefit him when it comes to the split. IMO the lowest split he can get is 60/40 in AJ's favour.

And once the PPV sales come out then we will get more indication of what the split should look like.

7. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Wilders technique is embarrassing, but this is the HW division, power is sometimes more important than skill at that weight, and when you punch like Wilder, it doesn't matter how lacking you are in skill when you can change fights with 1 punch

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Unforgiven and Twentyman like this.
  8. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think the narrative which emerges from this fight may be that whilst PPV sales weren't great, they would be better for the rematch given the quality of the first fight.

9. BritBox

BritBox Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Absolutely, the rematch is a MEGA MEGA fight now

10. Sampneb

Sampneb Active Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Both their profiles went up IMO. Good solid fight, with a hot last round. The rematch is May/June. Would have Usyk on the Joshua undercard in April. There are lots of options now in Heavyweight, it's all good.

11. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    For me the most intriguing story now is what happens with Fury. His stock has gone up, but in a weird way the biggest thing people will talk about will be him getting up after being knocked down a few times.

I hope he ends up in a similarly contested fight, because if he goes back to a Pianeta like decision against a Charr type, (which oddly will be seen by a lot more people in his home country than the Wilder fight), then it's not back to square one, but back a step or two.

12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He needs top opponents to put on top performances.

Potwash likes this.
  13. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Facts. When he is against 'bums' he switches off....Fury needs to fight the best.

Scissors likes this.
  14. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Sort of. He needs top opponents to have a go at him.

Let's not beat around the bush here. He went to Germany and won and the reaction was appalling. 'Worst heavyweight title fight ever' and suchlike. This time he goes to America, doesn't win, and is seen as a harshly treated hero who showed his bravery in coming back from what looked like a devastating stoppage.

That was an exciting Tyson Fury fight. He could do with some more of them because if he goes into his next fight as a massive favourite, fights off the back foot, wins a fairly easy points decision and doesn't look like forcing a stoppage some of the momentum gained may be lost.

Scissors likes this.
  15. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I don’t know what Hearn is waiting for.
    He should be busting a gut to get Fury lined up to fight Joshua on that Wembley date in April.
    It’s an absolute mega fight in the UK and would garner a load of interest worldwide, the PPV sales would go through the roof.

Twentyman likes this.