Are SHWs a phase?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I don't think they are a phase. There's a lot of legitimately big guys coming through. There's also a lot of laziness in the HW division, so if you consider a grossly overweight fighter that should be like 210 but is 270 from pure fat a SHW (i mean, weight is weight), then they are here to stay even more so.

2. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Yeah posting images is really weird on this board.
    Actually when I reply to you I can see the embedded images.
    But when it is displayed on the forum I just see the
    This content is protected
    The workaround I found was to upload my graphs to my personal Google Drive. Then give sharing access to the images through the link. Then I use the "insert media" button (the one between the emoticon button and the + button), and paste in the google drive link.

About your graphs I'm really impressed by the speed you knocked these out. It took me the best part of a weekend to make the ones I linked to on the second page. How did you pull the data so quickly?

But I am not sure it's a good idea to put a "champion" like Trevor Bryan on equal footing with say Fury in graph 1, and then to remove Fury in graph 2.

I would be interested to know what the graph would look like if you could chart the length of the reign and how that would effect the average height.

3. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    yeah, i used to be a data person, still kind of am, though not really up to speed with some of the cutting edge ways to present stuff etc.

here's a chart showing reign length vs height in cm, WBC belt only, slightly flawed in that I count vacant belts as still being held by the guy who gave it up, it was a bit easier to chart this way.

I suppose the chart tells me a bit that our views on 'the trend' or 'the norm' tends to be influenced an awful lot by whoever is exceptional at the time, since, over time, we have relatively few champions. it's [just about] possible that another heavy with Tyson's build pops up tomorrow, reigns for a few years, and we all start babbling about the death of the tall heavy, etc. I'm sure there is an upward trend but suspect we overplay it based on the careers of a handful of recent fighters.

This content is protected

Sap1en and Finkel like this.
  4. Finkel

Feb 10, 2020
    You need to change the share setting for that file on google drive to "anyone with link" can be a viewer, otherwise your email is about to be bombarded by hundreds of access requests from boxingforum24 ;)

5. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I think calling them Super Heavyweights is a phase. I just call them Heavyweights, and eventually so will almost everyone else.
    Maybe by that time they'll call 7 ft 300 lbs and bigger SHW's

6. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    ha, ok, thanks

Finkel likes this.
  7. Finkel

Feb 10, 2020
    Cool graph! I think you might be correct about us overstating the size advantage, but 5'10" Tyson was a pretty special fighter.

The other problem as I see it is I don't think we will see 5'10 fighters starting their career in heavyweight any more. So if they campaigning at cruiser, will they be able to compete at Heavyweight when they eventually move up? For example prime Usyk (6'3") might have been able to beat the best heavies, but now he looks like his best years are behind him.

8. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    yep, 5'10" was exceptional, fairly unlikely to be repeated?

yeah, i suppose these days, all told [i.e. with larger sized people and 24 hr weigh-ins] pretty much anyone [there are exceptions obviously, such as someone like carlos takam, tho that barely qualifies as 'these days'] who's sub say 6'3" who has an amateur career that extends into their say mid 20s is unlikely to box in the amateur SHW division, there's just no point, with money not an immediate issue in the way that it is for pro's.

the likeliest contender for a top sub 6' pro or even sub 6'3" heavy is either someone with an unusually heavy build [maybe a pacific islander like David Tua] or else someone who reaches their full adult weight early and/or turns pro early [like say andy ruiz].

Finkel likes this.
  9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Boxers now are large.
    I lurked about some Klit's opponent's weight and size.
    Wach then had 27-0-0 record and weighted 249 lbs vs 247 lbs Wlad and was 4 cm more in height.
    Peter : 241 lbs 243 lbs. Thompson: in one fight 244.75lbs.
    Even Ibragimov wasn't smaller than Haye, 219 lbs vs 238 lbs Wlad.
    Pulev for weight in vs Klit : 246.9lbs.

I lurk like in popular western resources, portals.