Are some people unable to get the stamina required for boxing despite training hard ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by WillieWild, Dec 17, 2019.

1. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Yeah. Lions don't have to train to be explosive and sprint up to 50mph and rip things apart. They just lie around all day. And migrating birds can fly non-stop for huge distances just naturally. But lions don't have stamina and distance fliers don't usually have explosive speed.
    Better off just working to your strengths in life and sport. That's where people can learn from Wilder, oddly enough, lol.

WillieWild and Eastern Iron like this.
  2. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Great perspective. Looking at a guy like toney who ballooned up...but still goes the distance, easily or as Manny Steward said- James is so relaxed in the ring, he doesn't tire much because he isn't tense.

Holy talks about fighters who throw punches with bad intentions....sometimes forget to breathe..so they use so much energy.

On a side note- when I was in the Marines...I could do 5 miles running but always got tired around the same point (1 1/2 miles LOL) now I got to will myself to do the other 3 1/2....and hear comes a bloated jar head...passing me up. I was a chiseled 175lb walking Adonis...finishing 40th out of 50 marines....once again....:duh

Eastern Iron likes this.
  3. Stefz

Stefz Member Full Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Theres multiple issues that cause the difference in stamina.
    1) Genetic disposition
    2) Anxiety/tenseness in the ring, tense muscle - muscle wasting energy.
    3) PED use. Any bulking steriod will naturally reduce stamina capacity.
    4) Cutting PED's. Most Cutting PED's will make even a small jog feel like murder.
    5) general training style, a combination of low-mid cardio for durations of time (this helps pacing) and Hight intensity training.
    6) Dieting, Heavy amounts of High glycogen carbs will cause a "bloated" effect and not benefit for stamina.
    7) Being Smart - Conservation of "not needed" punches and pacing from round to round.
    8) Working into the fight - if you go from 0% to 100% of max energy output, your breathing wont adapt easily, so work into the rounds.

Few reasons on poor stamina issues.

4. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    A big part of it is mental. If you can't relax in the ring you will gas no matter how fit you are.

Look at James toney. His heavyweight version probably wasn't very fit but he paced himself so well and he was so relaxed that he didn't gas.

5. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Some people have more problem with pacing and panicing. (See Wlad Klitschko)

While others have problems with stamina (see Corrie Sanders)

One is more athletic but the other is more relaxed in the ring.

Tramell likes this.
  6. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    It’s a good subject this. I remember watching Fowler - Fitzgerald and I couldn’t believe how tired Fowler looked later on in the fight despite this guy living in the gym. The weight obviously plays a big factor, easy to get tired if you’re boiling yourself down to a certain size.

Tramell likes this.
  7. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Miles off.

Some peoples genetics just won't allow them to have great stamina, no matter what methods/trainers they use.

You could get George Groves to train like a Triathlete, but he'd still gas out.

It's nothing to do with "mental fortitude". Usain Bolt could NEVER run a world class 400 as his genetics won't allow him to.

It's something you are born with, period.

Bukkake likes this.
  8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Gil Clancy explained it perfectly during the Duran Barkley fight, Duran was almost 38 and in the 11th round of a brawl Duran dropped Barkley because Roberto was the fresher fighter. Clancy said you see guys train hard and still get tired because they are so tensed up, Roberto is able to do what he does because he's so comfortable in there, Some guys are just so anxious and tensed they burn energy.

9. Lith

Lith Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Sorry I may have worded it badly, I was far from saying that stamina work is BETTER - but I feel like it may also not get the focus it needs. Generally

speaking (OK, I'm not a sports expert by any stretch) my understanding is to get quality from explosive work you don't need to do lots of it, just bursts and that helps build on the sheer intensity your cardiovascular system is capable of supporting. I guess an example is HIIT, which can be used for boxing/running/all kinds of things to raise the level you can operate at and funnily enough suits the concept of operating in intervals.

The interesting thing with using HIIT for running, if you think of that as "only endurance" - if you only do long aerobic level runs you'll plateau quickly and won't be able to go faster, but if you slip the occasional interval training session in then it doesn't take a lot to immediately find you can cover more distance in the same time when you are maintaining the same heart rate. It gets to the point where was previously would have been considered "intense" become normal intensity, and the intense stuff is even higher intensity. With running you may have 10% of your weekly exercise put towards the high intensity stuff, but the biggest gains in performance are had from that 10% - if you build it up too much higher you risk more chance of injury, overtraining (just blowing out), or at the very least not having enough recover time for the body to recover and rebuild.

The endurance stuff is more of a slow cooking thing and you don't have to work as hard, but it does train your body into how to keep itself fuelled at some level of intensity for a reasonable period of time. I guess if you think of the fact that you go 12 rounds with bursts of high intensity, your body uses a LOT of fuel. Endurance training tends to result in significantly improved fat oxidization, or making use of fat stores (which you always have a good amount of, and are efficient at storing energy) for burning energy.

A lot of short burst exercise can be relying heavily on glycogen stores which is nice and easy to get fuel from, but you can quite quickly deplete them and the body apparently actually starts "hitting the brakes" before you even reach that point - which is arguably part of where you see people "gassing". If you and your body is more used to going through that zone and is more capable of converting fat to usable energy when needed, then its less of a problem.... I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of why keto diets (which going from IG seems to be becoming a thing with some boxers) might be getting some attention now.

I could be completely full of shite with it, but there will be some nuggets of truth in there I am sure. One way or another, I've done enough stuff and been around enough people who have been serious athletes to see the effects of training smarter rather than just training hard.

Doing all one, or all the other is never going to match getting the right mix of both.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes, that's bang on.

Additionally, it's the affect of fatigue on given fighters. Some fighters have great technique but fatigue makes them sloppy. Other less excellent fighters get dis-organised when they get tired and so are more likely to be found out.

I don't think it's about stamina so much as how relaxed a fighter is and about how far his own will reigns him. Some fighters remain unchanged when knackered. Glen Johnson was like that. He was the same in the 10th as the first at high work-rate. That's special.

Reinhardt likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    part of it also is learning how to relax. Nerves can deplete anyone of energy even if they are not moving around physically.

12. OrishamanNow

OrishamanNow Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Boxing training requires a very particular regimen, very similar to soccer... creating long lean muscles.... highly efficient processing oxygen!

13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Couple of thoughts:

1. Mastering muscle tension and being able to relax goes a long way to allowing a boxer to stay fresh longer. Look at the difference between 1970s George Foreman, who was tight as a drum, and Old George, who was relaxed as anyone ever.

2. Sooner or later, everyone gets tired. The question is what you’re going to do about it. Some fighters keep working when tired better than others.

Brixton Bomber and greynotsoold like this.
  14. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    The secret is to RELAX.

15. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    A lot of guys think that they are training hard but they are not; the intensity level of their training does not match the intensity level of a fight. So when they fight, they get tired. You see that a lot with guys that spend 2-3 hours in the gym and think they are working hard. Maybe, but they aren't working sharp and there is a difference.

Also, guys that don't train for the fight they are going to fight. For example, if you are fighting a 6 round fight train to do 6 rounds at peak efficiency. It doesn't make sense to train 12 rounds if you are fighting six, unless you can find a good reason to catch your second wind backstage after the fight?