Are the scorecards secret before the decision?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GGGfans, May 18, 2022.

1. GGGfans

GGGfans Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2017
    If you watched Yoka vs Bakole in French, you were probably surprised to hear the Canal + host give the scorecards after the 8th round.

Do you know the rule about this ? I know for a few years around 2013-2017 the WBC was giving results every four rounds but it seems to me they stopped doing that.

OldSchoolBoxing likes this.
  2. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Japan almost always uses open scoring for big cards.

Otherwise, they're usually secret.

3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Mostly yes, or else how could they pull of the screw jobs?

Easyrhino and lordlosh like this.
  4. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Seems to be event by event, but like @JunlongXiFan said outside Japan 99% of the time the scoring is closed. Every so often open scoring gets trotted out in the West to spice things up. I think there was a major Bernard Hopkins or Shane Mosley fight with open scoring?

I've never seen a pro event with adequate ring side arrangements to prevent a determined and resourceful corner from getting a peak if they want it. So with closed scoring, once again, it's the honor system in a sport full of crooks.

On the other hand, imagine being a judge for Canelo vs Bivol and you have to sit still with your back to thousands of screaming fans as they read your scorecard putting their man hopelessly behind. They have 15 minutes to sit there and stew in their rage.

Anyone would have to consider how much their pride is worth to them.

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  5. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    In Teddy Atlas’s book he says its not always hard to get someone on your team to get a peak at the cards during the fight.

lordlosh likes this.