Are there some areas where it's impossible for fighters to improve?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidC77, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d say the one thing that absolutely cannot be improved upon is a fighter who is prone to cut — the skin tissue’s ability to withstand punches in some fighters is absolutely better than it is in others.

Some guys have tissue skin and there’s nothing that can be done to make that better. In fact, it gets worse over time as they keep getting cut and scar tissue results. Obviously this is mainly around the eyes. Some guys start bleeding it seems if you look at them hard.

Now someone with this problem can try to improve his defense, but unless he can find a way to basically never get hit (especially around the eyes), he’s going to continue to suffer from cuts.

ticar and Glass City Cobra like this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Werent there studies done by tbe military that concluded shooter type army video games improve hand eye coordination? Isnt this the reason they encourage the playing of them ans often try to sneak recruitment ads in those games or help promote them?

Also arenr activities like tennis and bowling all about hand eye coordination and playing them improves them?

3. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    This makes sense but I do remember Ricky Hatton had a reputation for been a notorious bleeder for much of his pre title career to the point that some thought that it would prevent him from reaching the top but somehow it never became a factor in his latter part of his career once he won his world title and I don’t recall him suffer any major cuts in any of his latter day high profile fights. I could be wrong though.

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Neck excercises have been found to help prevent consussions.

You're quite limited in how much you can improve explosiveness (without gaining muscle), and I don't think you can improve your reaction speed.

5. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Chuvalo did do neck exercises by standing on his head.

richdanahuff likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think he means that anything that can be done, is done as part of the most basic routine.

7. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Marciano had a granite chin, but Tyson had an average chin?
    Say what?

BlackCloud likes this.
  8. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Maybe he’s talking about Tyson Fury? Anyway Holyfield also used to do neck exercises. When he was moving up to heavyweight, it was highlighted that the size of his neck was almost the same size as Tyson’s and there’s not many that would dispute that Holyfield had a granite chin though I suppose it the neck size and exercises could just be a coincidence and he just had a naturally strong chin and resilience.

ticar likes this.
  9. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yea Holyfield did a lot of neck work as well as Tyson.
    Holyfield also had amazing traps - that helps also.

Both had great chins, and pitbull necks.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Can we stop living under the thought that Mike Tyson had a great chin? He was stopped 5 times in his 6 losses, including a 4 round stoppage again Danny Williams. I don't want to hear any "he was shot" business. It's a chin.

He was stopped by Holyfield and Douglas, 2 mediocre punchers. Marciano was dropped (mostly slipped, wasn't even hurt), against Jersey Joe Walcott, the hardest puncher he ever faced and an underrated puncher who blasted out Charles and knocked down Louis, and Archie Moore, who was the knockout king, LHW champ, and knocking out many heavyweight men before he got to Marciano