are there those that would still favor a prime wlad over Fury

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by LandSwarm, Oct 17, 2021.

1. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Cant jab and hold vs fury.

Out reached and will be outboxed from the outside.

If he tries to fight hard and agressive he will gas hard (look at early in his career and in the joshua fight)

No version of wlad beats fury, his all wrong for him

2. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Best version of Wlad beats best version of Fury, period.

Even on Fury's best night and one of Wlad's worst, he was getting tagged in that final round. Prime Wlad stops Fury although I do concede that Fury can be a slippery customer. If Fury fights 'Kronk style', Wlad will knock him out. If he fights long then it's more competitive but even when he was fighting long in the first Wilder fight, he still got tagged.

Wlad is one of the top 2 or 3 for power in boxing history and he has it in his right cross, jab and left hook. He's got a much better skillset than Wilder and if he lands and hurts Fury badly, it's all over.

BCS8 likes this.
  3. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Heck no. On European Side Boxing Fury beats them all!

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There's no "period". They already fought and a pre-prime , inexperienced Fury won comfortable. At no point in their contest was there any evidence a younger Wlad could have performed better , unless you glean some sort of victory from Fury taking a hit as he reached around to pull up his falling trunks in that 12th round.
    Regardless of what you think , the fact they already fought and Fury won means something. Especially when Wlad was more competitive with AJ two years later.

Also the notion that Wlad would somehow have no problem stopping Kronk Fury is pure wishful thinking as Wlad was panic prone and would hold on for dear life everytime somebody came near him.
    Kronk Fury came forward in very short and quick stop start movements behind a long stiff jab. It was hard to get a measure on Fury from Wilder II. Wlad faced nothing like that Fury in his life , but he lost big to a more incomplete version of Fury

Without help from a ref to stop Fury working in close Wlad would be in over his head. He doesn't have the physicality or mental fortitude to cope with Fury working him over in the wheelhouse

NEETzschean and gmurphy like this.
  5. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Damn right.
    We will send taylor over next to batter some poor useless yank next.

Fury is the king.

6. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    This 'Kronk' version of Fury and using this version of Fury as an argument has to be a very low IQ move. This Kronk version of Fury has proven to be effective against a sum total of only ONE opponent, unless we also include Wallin as an opponent this version of Fury faced. Otherwise, it has only proven to work against Wilder. So yes, Fury will be more aggressive against Wladimir Klitschko. But guess what? This same version of Fury was also getting tagged by outright power-punches by a wild-swinging Wilder with punches so badly telegraphed that they should be easier to avoid than to get hit by. Yet, Fury was still getting hit by such punches and could not avoid them.

Believe it or not folks, but Fury isn't this elusive or slick boxer people allude him to be when he's fighting aggressively. He is either slick and barely lands any punches on his opponent (Wladimir Klitschko) or offensive where he can inflict damage on his opponents but can't even get away from telegraphed punches that can be read as easily as thunder that's about to hit after the telegraph in this case lightning already appears first. That's how poor Fury's defense is when he's being aggressive. If Wilder can catch and drop Fury with such ridiculous wild swings, Wladimir Klitschko with his astronomically shorter, straighter and more compact punches with almost no telegraph is going to land and land consistently.

And this idea that Fury in the third fight performed worse than in the second fight against Wilder is also a myth. Fury was the same fighter in both those fights, different than the one in the first fight. But unlike in the first fight where Wilder had no gameplan, Wilder came in with an actual plan in the second fight, which was to jab Fury's body repeatedly and that made Fury look bad. Fury was able to answer back with cleaner and snappier punches, but he actually had no answers to those jabs to the body.

So 'Kronk' version of Fury without a doubt will get caught big repeatedly by Wladimir Klitschko, and unlike against Wilder, he will be stopped by Wlad because Wlad isn't wild but throws compact, short and non-telegraphed punches. So the only way Fury avoids such a fate is to be the elusive back=foot boxer barely looking to engage at all. There's no way he survives against Wlad if he fights as aggressively as he did against Wilder. Fury's defense is horrible when fighting aggressively and his offensive his horrible when fighting defensively on the backfoot. It's one or the other with him.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Wlad was too good not to hurt Fury and then finish the job. Move their fight back 6 years before the actual date, Fury would have been pummeled and done in 11 imo.

BCS8 likes this.
  8. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Ross Puritty, Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster could all be described as journeymen (the former could even be described as a bum) yet they all stopped Wlad with their aggressive styles. The latter two when Wlad was the same age as Fury was when he schooled 11 year unbeaten Wlad in Germany.

You don't understand how boxing politics intersect with Wilder's style. You saw Wilder getting outboxed, I saw Wilder taking no serious damage, conserving energy, accumulating damage on a fatiguing Spilka and sparking him out cold while being AHEAD ON ALL CARDS. Wilder has only had one come-from-behind KO in his career; the Ortiz rematch. And the plan was always to snipe Ortiz after he slowed down.

dinovelvet and ButeTheBeast like this.
  9. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I used to believe Wlad lost to Fury because he was past it, but to be honest with you, prime Fury beats prime Wlad. Prime Wlad beats McDermott Fury, I'll give him that. I am a Wlad fan too but Fury is one awkward, clever, determined and tough MOFO.

dinovelvet and NEETzschean like this.
  10. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fury already DESTROYED "prime" Wlad in 2011

#SaunaKing

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Ok. Regardless of what I think, it is still, at the end of the day, an opinion, just like yours is.

1) The 39 year old version of Wlad was not prime. Nor was Fury, probaby - see below. Also, that version of Wlad had well documented issues outside the ring, was somewhat complacent and let's face it, Fury got to him mentally. The Wlad that fought Joshua would have done a lot better, he was in a better place mentally and there's nothing like trying to regain what you once had, to fire a man up. I'm not saying that this version of Wlad wins, but he would do better.

2) With hindsight, Fury's most complete performance was when he dethroned Wlad. Was it his prime? It didn't seem so at the time but maybe it was? I don't consider the aggressive version of Fury in Wilder II as the best version. It worked for the opponent he was fighting at the time but it wasn't exactly the sweet science. Would it work with a more complete puncher, probably not to the same degree. You also have the notion that in the 3rd fight, perhaps Fury was 'lucky' to not have been counted out in the 4th round. Far more knowledgeable people than me have come out and said that.

3) Wilder was quite able to catch Fury with telgraphed right hands, even in the first fight when Fury was boxing up on his toes. If Wilder can catch Fury, you bet Wlad can. As I said in my post, Wlad is one of the biggest punchers ever in the sport, that can't be denied. How is it wishful thinking that Wlad wouldn't connect several times in the fight? Yes, I know Fury has great recuperative powers, but even he can only take so much. An aggresive Wlad would hit him harder and more often than anyone else he's ever faced, Wilder included. Wilder has twice nearly knocked out Fury. I think Wlad could and would too.

Where you have a point is that Wlad never faced a taller, more mobile opponent in the ring until he met Fury and that has to be taken into consideration. For a big man, Fury is exceptionally mobile and has natural fighting instincts that you either have or haven't. Fury has, for sure. However, a Wlad, with Steward in his corner, would not fight the same way he did against smaller men where he could use his size and reach and be fairly comfortable in spoiling towards a decision. Steward would be telling Wlad to be aggressive off the front foot, put Fury under pressure and let his hands go. Fury is not a big puncher in the sense of the word, although anyone weighing 270 pounds can put a fair bit of weight behind their shots. Wlad is the puncher in this equation and if a young Joshua can buzz Fury with the uppercut, Wlad's right or left hook would knock him out or at least force a TKO.

12. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Only Lamon Brewster beat Wlad after he got together with Emmaneul Steward. Pre-Steward Wlad is totally irrelevant here as that's not the version Fury would be facing as that wasn't prime Wlad.

Also, are you really going to tell me Fury = Brewster in any way? LMFAO! Brewster for one, has more proven KO power than Fury and was extremely lucky to beat him in the first place. It was an extremely, and I mean extremely low percentage tactic that will work probably once in 50 fights. Why is it then, that other fighters who are similar to Brewster or better could not manage the same? Because it doesn't work, except again, once every blue moon.

Is Brewster's performance against Wlad in their first fight at all an indicator of how Kronk version of Fury would perform against Wlad? HELL NO! Why? Because Brewster is a bigger puncher, is shorter, is stylistically as different to Fury as Wlad himself is to Fury and for many other reasons.

Now could Fury land a big punch and stop Wlad if they fought 10 times? Sure! Is it more likely Wlad catches Fury or Fury catches Wlad with a big shot if Steward version of Wlad faces Kronk version of Fury? Wlad is more likely. Why? Because Wilder with wild telegraphed punches was regularly catching that version of Fury. Logically speaking, Someone with no telegraph and shorter, more accurate punches will catch Fury even more frequently. Which is the case with Wlad.

As for Wilder vs Szpilka, you'd have a point if this was the case only in that fight. But unfortunately, this has been a recurring theme with Wilder. Let's pretend the Szpilka fight did not happen for a moment and look at the Duhaupas fight. I wonder what excuses you'll use to defend Wilder with that dreadful performance and gift stoppage. A C level fighter at best in Duhaupas, fighting in USA, in his own backyard and hometown of Alabama, was getting punched in his face regularly, so much so that his eyes were almost shut and badly swollen, and he needed a gift stoppage in a fight many people thought was even or even Duhaupas ahead at the time of the gift stoppage. Wilder could not drop, much less KO Duhaupas. So you tell me how Wilder's defense is remotely on the level of Wladimir Klitschko. It's one thing to get hit once and then be stopped, particulary at heavyweight where nearly anybody can KO anybody. It's another thing to be hit repeatedly over the course of a 12 round fight by an utter journeyman without being able to defend yourself effectively. Never has Wlad been that frequently punched in that manner over the course of 12 rounds by such a level of opponent. He might have been stopped quickly, but that's less of an indicator of bad defense than taking sustained punishment throughout 12 rounds.

Also, coming back to the Szpilka fight, Chisora sparked Szpilka out even more impressively needing fewer punches, needing fewer rounds and whilst taking less punches than Wilder against Szpilka. An utter scrub in Jennings even previously stopped Szpilka in 10 rounds. Only Wilder lost as many rounds, and took as many punches as he did, RELATIVELY speaking, than any other boxer who faced Szpilka that is worth any salt. So Wilder knocking out Szpilka isn't at all impressive, nor does it mean anything. The point here, is the fact that he took more punches than the other guys that beat him, and that alone proves Wilder's defense is not even remotely on Wlad's level for anybody to justifiably claim Fury could land punches as easily on Wlad as he did on Wilder.

And something similar happened against Gerald Washington, who was outboxing Wilder and was easily penetrating Wilder's defense.

Don't expect me to just ignore all the blatant evidence pointing to WIlder's defense being utterly abysmal, and not remotely comparable to Wlad. Look at how much damage or how many punches the likes of Povetkin, Jarrell Miller or Tony Yoka suffered against Duhaupas compared to Wilder. That alone should be proof enough of Wilder's abysmal defense.

13. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
  14. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Fury is my current favourite boxer.

I think he loses to prime Wlad,

And prime Vitali.
    And prime Lennox.
    And prime Ali.

And maybe others.