Are you guys looking forward to AJ vs Povetkin?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Infern0121, Sep 12, 2018.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Yes, I've said for a while that Povetkin's style is particularly dangerous for AJ. He throws those hooks from low and that's exactly how Nistor got to him. The question is more if he has the explosiveness to land those shots anymore. I think he'll be able to early at least

2. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I think Joshua needs to come out at the first bell and put a ruthless attack on povetkin straight away.

He can back off a bit after but at the age povetkin is Joshua might be able to make him think wtf am i still doing fighting

3. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    If he wants to make it entertaining absolutely. Even this Povetkin is more dangerous than Parker though, so if I were AJ I'd fight in a similar manner to the Parker fight for the first half and then turn up the gas.

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    For the first 4-5 rounds I would argue that this is the most dangerous fight of AJ’s career. I would keep him at the end of the jab and tie him up as soon as he got inside. I personally think AJ would be stupid (and he certainly isn’t) to ignore his natural attributes to put it on Povetkin early doors.

Scissors, im sparticus and Holler like this.
  5. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Agreed, tire him out and then go for your highlight reel finish. His last couple of fights have lacked highlights but if he produces one at the end of the fight then people will soon forget the rest of it.

The Wlad fight is spoken about as if it was non-stop action, which is absolutely false. There was a lot of not much happening in that fight. But then of course we got our drama in bursts.

im sparticus, Twentyman and Holler like this.
  6. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Yes, it's a good fight. Povetkin is a bit past his best, but he's done more than anyone in the division to earn a title shot, and if Joshua wins it would be the second best win on his record. If Joshua is heavily favoured against someone with Povetkin's pedigree, it's probably a good sign that Joshua is actually pretty good.

Based on Klitschko-Povetkin, you'd have to favour Joshua to use his physical advantages to shut Povetkin down, and maybe even force a stoppage at some point. I think he has to fight Povetkin the right way though (like Klitschko did), even if it means winning ugly. If Joshua opens up and tries to blast him away, it's a very dangerous fight. It's not just about Povetkin's power; he is an excellent finisher when he has someone hurt and could well finish the job if AJ is in the same sort of trouble as against Whyte and Klitschko.

7. Blue Manc

Blue Manc Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Joshua looks quick and leaner than we have seen him for a while so I can see him unleashing a flurry of shots and getting the "British stoppage" and then everyone on here moaning and discrediting him

Scissors likes this.
  8. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I only meant with leaving himself open for counters bud

9. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    There is a ton of pressure on AJ in this fight - if he has another Jab and grab stinker then the casuals are really going to start turning on him. Even AJ - Whyte next April might not be the British massive deal if this happens.

Povetkin is very dangerous especially for the first 5 rounds - it’s a solid fight, looking forward to it.

10. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I'll be surprised if AJs strategy is any different to the Parker fight, especially first half of fight.
    The povetkin of old, I would of certainly said, is up to the job.
    I'm not as confident now tho.
    We saw what happened to Browne when he didn't get a leg up from the PEDs I think it may go the same way here.

11. AJH

AJH Member Full Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Mandatory.

12. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    I actually think different from most, think we are going to see a more aggressive AJ in this one. Stoppage in under 6 rounds.

13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    A good analysis mate

14. Draperys

Draperys Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2017
    So if Floyd (during his prime) fought gatekeepers for 2 year after say the de la Hoya fight you then refuse too acknowledge his skill level and just look at who was his best win over those 2 years and say that’s his ranking?

15. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    When Povetkin was put on the last AJ card it was obvious that the Wilder swerve was coming. Dillian Whyte is lined up next. Yawn.