Artur Beterbiev’s skills are very underrated

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Beterbiev just showed that he’s not just a plodding, one dimensional puncher. The guy is a thinking killing machine. The way he patiently broke down a skilled boxer like Gvozdyk was skillful stuff.

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Rocky Marciano-esk breaking of a fighter. A genius of inside bullying and mental dominance

3. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011

You right about that.

4. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    He proved that he's good not only inside, though. In many episodes tonight he was beating Gvozdyk fighting from the outside. And Beterbiev is shorter with smaller reach...

5. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    In terms of skills, Gvozdyk easily outshines him.
    But Beterbiev has great technique, experience, exceptional power and like you said; patience.

But still, Beterbiev is far from being the most skillful Light-Heavyweight.

MURK20 and Jackman65 like this.
  6. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Don’t think Kov can handle that body work

7. robg

robg Active Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Damn. Don’t think Bivol or Kovalev stand much of a chance against Beterbiev. Beterbiev’s run could go on for quite a while. What’s the toughest fight out there for him? Eleider Alvarez? I’m sure Beterbiev would win that too. Too bad he’s already 35. I think his reign lasts a few years. Good fight

roughdiamond and minemax like this.
  8. Vote46

Vote46 New Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2016
    What skills? Footwork, jab, accuracy, defense?

minemax likes this.
  9. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Yes. Gvozdyk is pretty much better at everything.

10. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I've always admired Beterbiev's punching technique the moment he arrived in boxing. The way the generates power with short punches is impressive. Every fighter in boxing need range to generate power, either looping or straight, but Beterbiev can hurt you with a punch thrown from 6 inches out.

You don't think it's going to hurt, and he knocks people down with it. And when a punches travel such a short distance, the opponents really don't have time to react. I hope he stays in his prime for a few more years so we can enjoy his destructive style.

11. Boxcel

Boxcel Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Amateurs are all about hitting while not getting hit. You don't become a world class amateur without pure boxing skills. You can do well without power, aggression, or chin in the amateurs if you're skilled. What happens when the world class amateur has all of those traits but also a gas tank? You get boxers like Beterbiev and GGG. Many people don't seem to understand what makes a skilled amateur transition well into the pros, so they just write off amateur experience altogether.

Skilled amateurs only do not transition well when they lack the power, gas tank, and chin.

12. 175 Champ

175 Champ Member banned Full Member

Nov 27, 2016
    He wasn't even allowed to fight on the inside either.

roughdiamond, pacas and minemax like this.
  13. Incinerate

Incinerate Active Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    But who thought that he didn't have skill? I always thought that he had skill.

pacas likes this.
  14. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Many people thought he was just a come forward, one dimensional puncher with good skills but nothing elite level. I’m actually one of those who did not know that he had more boxing skills to back it up. It’s crazy to see how one fight can change a lot of people’s perception on a fighter’s overall skill level, but I’m happy to see that a monster like Beterbiev is not just a come forward puncher.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  15. Incinerate

Incinerate Active Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    A lot of people knew that he had skill. The doubt came after he was put down. He said always had these skills.