Arthur v Yarde II

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Jul 28, 2021.

How do you see it going down?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2021.
  1. Arthur points

64.9%
  2. Arthur KO

2.7%
  3. Yarde points

18.9%
  4. Yarde KO

13.5%
  1. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Your asking Yarde to do a lot there that he has never done before.
    Applying pressure? He doesn't cut the ring off well. So someone who can box and a decent jab and is prepared to move always has an exit.
    Upping work rate? Not something he is great at - as your rightly say on the basis of a complete tool of a coach he emptied the tank V Kov and it nearly came off but that's all he can manage one round at real high tempo and he was done. He's very one paced, prefers to try and counter and is real musclebound lad. I don't think he's ever going to have a great stamina base as a pro boxer hence him being so methodical with his output.
    Yarde has been brought along terribly. Fought undersized cannon fodder and used his power to get the job done now he can look clueless when in against decent operators.
    He did get to Arthur late in the fight but if i was betting on a win i'd still say Arthur was a slight favorite - both have more to offer than the first fight for sure.

2. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Well the counter to that argument is obviously that in their first fight Yarde did apply pressure in the 11th nd 12th round for the first time.

When he did he got results almost instantly, within 20-30 seconds of upping the work rate and letting his hands go he hurt Lyndon and would have dropped him if he did that earlier in the fight, when he had more left.

He's more tan capable of stopping him IMO.

His stamina could be a real issue for him, but if he doesn't go for it and take a risk what else is he going to do?

If he loses this fight his career is in very seriously trouble.

I would argue that trying to do 'just enough' is even more of a risk and could lead to the same result as last time. He needs to rough Lyndon up, get on the inside and impose himself on him, one way or another.

destruction likes this.
  3. iestyn2020

iestyn2020 Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Its another fight with a rematch clause thats not needed. The fight itself was not good to watch in the first place but contracts are contracts. Looked like Yarde and Tunde wasn't confident in the first fight otherwise there would be no clause

Brixton Bomber and Scissors like this.
  4. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    For those who’ve said “I fancy Yarde if he gets his tactics right”.

is there any example of Yarde going in to a fight an executing a game plan and coming out with a great victory? You know, other than the punch that cab driver in the face until he falls tactic.

5. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I agree. He's got to come out the blacks at some point and really dig in. I just don't think he 1. has the tactical knowledge to do it. 2. the trainer to improve him or 3. the stamina to really put the pressure on for long spells.

Maybe it was just an off night for Yarde but it was a strange performance from both boxers.

6. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Yeah I really don't think we've seen anything in Tarde in his career to suggest he's capable of taking a different approach or mixing it up in a fight, not in a way that would effect the result in a positive way for him anyway. His career peaked when a fading Kovalev was wobbled, that was his chance, a few rounds later and his tank was empty and his back on the canvas.

7. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    They don’t need a tactical masterclass to beat Arthur.

I had Yarde winning the 1st fight by one round. Although I’m in the clear minority as most had Arthur winning, I don’t think anybody had it wide in his favour. It was mainly scores like 115-113.

Yarde and his trainer for some bizarre reason thought they were clearly winning the fight, and he was not
    fIghting at full capacity until the 11th and 12th.

Now that they have an experienced boxing man in James Cook in the corner, I think they will be able to go into the fight with a clear plan and they will be able to make adjustments, if necessary during the fight other than Tunde shouting “ lions in the camp” and “come on Ant”

Terminator likes this.
  8. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    The first fight (from memory) was very close and yarde had arthur up sh creek without a paddle in round 12. I think he probably underestimated arthur. Its for that reason im going for yarde here but I may be wrong.

Regardless I personally think neither of them are world level. Buatsi and pre lay off johnson are superior fighters

Oneirokritis and Glenn McKrory like this.
  9. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I hope so for his sake. I feel like I’m a bully or something because I’m always have a go at him. Now he’s the underdog (in life, not this fight) I’m half rooting fit him but why, why, why didn’t he leave Tunde?! I don’t see what benefits there are from staying with him.

Oneirokritis and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. Plumber From Liverpool

Plumber From Liverpool Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Simple really Yarde needs the victory otherwise he as nowhere else to go apart going back fighting bums.

Oneirokritis and Here's Johnny like this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Some excellent posts on this thread, even the ones I don't entirely agree with.

My thoughts on Yarde have hardly changed. He carries power but a big part of that is that he's carrying what is a ridiculous amount of muscle mass at that weight class. It's just not necessary at all. It slows him down and he can only fight in short bursts as a result. If you're his opponent you know that you can get away with fighting at a pedestrian pace. He simply does not make his opponents work for 3 minutes a round because he's not got the gas tank due to muscle mass.

Added to that, Yarde needs to set himself to throw those heavy shots and someone like Arthur can offset that alone with the jab and some footwork.

I don't believe Yarde knows how to manage a 12 round fight. I think he's very aware of just how little he can throw before he's blowing a gasket hence his hesitation in pressing a fight.

In terms of hype and a mega pay day against Kovalev he's been managed brilliantly. In terms of learning his trade he's been matched against undersized bin men with feather fists. No step up in class, no adversity to learn from, no 12 rounders where he can learn to manage his gas tank, just a conveyor belt of cardboard cutouts that he could take his time with and chin when he was ready to.

12. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He does carry a ridiculous amount of muscle at the weight class. That tells me that he's not a natural light heavyweight. If you juxtapose him with Kovalev, it's quite a funny sight. As you say, that's more or less the reason as to why he can't sustain a decent pace throughout the bout. To be built like that and to still only weigh around 12 and a half stones (at around 6', too. Maybe 5'11'') is quite an achievement. His frame must be made of polystyrene.

People keep talking about if Yarde changes his tactics and pursues Arthur more proactively. What about if Arthur actually throws his right hand this time? It seems as though it's all about Yarde's response, but Arthur will know what he has to do differently this time too. The only right hand I can remember Arthur throwing with any venom did connect and did have an effect on Yarde.

Warren looked distraught after the last one. I wonder what he will be like after this.

13. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Active Member Full Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I wouldnt be so sure of Arthur winning a rematch.

He doesn't exactly "set the world alight" with his effort in the ring does he.

He pretty much ran in the first fight and in his last bout he looked equally afraid to engage.

I think the guy has excellent skills, lovely straight punches. But just doesn't engage enough to really make an meaningful impression on the sport.

14. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    They both ran or stood looking at each other the majority of the fight it was absolutely woeful..people were losing their **** on the rbr that night.

15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Haha, yeah I remember that right hand, it was right after Tunde told Yarde in corner that there was something wrong with it as he wasn't throwing it. Comes out next round and gets chinned with the right hand :)

Oneirokritis likes this.