Artur Beterbiev fails a 295lbs block bench press

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Jun 24, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    No it's not. Tito Trinidad looks like he never touched a bench press in his life. And would cave your face in. Bench press is meaningless. The greater cornerback in NFL history, Deion Sanders did not do bench press much at all. His response was "When you strap a bar to my chest and make me cover Jerry Rice then I'll do it".

2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011

Right. LOL. so powerlifters aren't strong then? punching is about technique, speed and accuracy, and balance, so whats tito got to do with strength, also was this Delon not benching much at all or he couldn't bench much at all?
    yeh sure the benchpress isn't the most transferable lift to real life benefits but still has some, and no weakling (ie a non strong person) could bench a lot of weight.

3. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    yeh but hes putting up PRO numbers.

4. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I've noticed a lot of powerlifters were not functionally all that strong. I've wrestled guys who would bench a lot more than me. But on the wrestling mat I was so much stronger than them all the technique in the world would be useless for them because they didn't have the functional strength to do the moves...

5. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    well wrestling is all about technique aswell I guess, balance and flexibility. these powerlifters aren't usually going for anything more than banging up big numbers in 3 disciplined lifts, but it is strength at the of the day, no one said they can fight lol.

6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Bruh, I just said "all the technique in the world wouldn't have done a thing". If you don't have the strength you cannot do the moves. These big bench presser guys were not strong enough to do anything to me, I was too strong. Bench press means jack.

You can take an Olympic wrestler in a very low weight class and have him wrestle a far less skilled and much bigger wrestler. And the technique is meaningless because he doesn't have the strength to do any of his technical moves...

7. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    so these big benchpressers also had a wealth of wrestling experience and wrestling technique aswell? but were too weak to do anything to you, alright. its obvious the squat, deadlifts, clean and jerk lifts are better for overall functional strength, but bench press will give you strength and a weak person cannot benchpress heavy numbers.

right now we have tito 'who looked like he didn't ever benchpress' Trinidad who would still cave in my face *no disputing that but speculation
    deno a NFL great who didn't benchpress mu h or couldn't bench press much, conjecture
    and big benchpressers who may or may not have all the technique in the world not being able to do anything to do you.

and now you are having a go at smaller lighter people unable to beat and outstrength bigger heavier men. :D
    not that has anything to do with benchpressing.

8. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I don't know how to explain to you that bench press has no transferable characteristics to combat sports. I've tried, you've not listened.

UniversalPart likes this.
  9. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    Meaningless in the real world and doesn't mean you have strength equates to a good bench press doesn't transfer to combat sports.

LOL.
    When I said it indicates chest, shoulder and tricep power you go on a tirade of nonsense.

Even when I admitted the bench press doesn't have any or very little benefit to punching and wrestling especially compared to technique, speed, balance, accuracy.

Read again what I've wrote and see you may of jumped the gun which is fine, but then after that started typing some real gibberish.

Come here. Lift a heavy weight one you struggle with I don't know something in the garden an everyday item. It's heavy you are struggling, bench press for a month or so. Then try picking up and press that item, it will be easier because you've strengthened your chest, triceps, shoulders and some stabilizers. You have gotten stronger, Thus bench press does make you stronger.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Because Beterbiev is not a p*ssy. He challenged himself and went for it.

A man who is not afraid of failure is a force to be reckoned with.

11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    :D

12. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Pretty sure Kermit Cintron could bench 355 at like 150 pounds.

13. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I heard Mosley used to bench 315. I’ve also heard Bradley’s freakishly strong. Either way, I’m not sure why it’s so hard to believe. When I was stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1994, I saw an older guy I worked with bench 315 for 10 reps, under complete control, and with no spotter. Just walked up to the bench, loaded 3 45 pound plates and did his thing. I estimate he was between 35 and 40 years old, stood about 5’6” and Weighed no more than 150 pounds.