Arum admits PPV is dead. What does this mean for boxing?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Sheikh, Jul 24, 2022.

1. 15 rounds

15 rounds Member banned Full Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Boxing left out of luck and needs it own pay steaming channels , but then again its an contacting business done by fights

2. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    You're absolutely spot on. I think there are several issues at play here that are contributing to this. Promoters are trying to build up and save guys for that lottery pay day (think Saudi money or Canelo Peyday) and/or milk their guys against subpar competition while extracting money from the networks/DAZN (which seems to be working). IMO the networks (since there are so few) should reject a lot of these garbage cards that get put on television where we know the majority of the time whose winning

Give Charlo a stay busy fight before Tszyu, throw it on YouTube live stream or as a special attraction before a showtime card

3. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    So it's back to theaters like the 1970's? Do I need to rebuy my 1976 green AMC Gremlin?

4. Sheikh

Sheikh Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2007

Excellent point. Another reason boxing is dying is no household names for the reasons you mentioned. Boxers are not on TV anymore. They dont go on Letterman, Jay Leno, Today show, etc so no one knows who most of these guys are. That hurts thier marketability to sell PPV

titanic likes this.
  5. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    That's the reason I didnt buy Fury/Whyte. The undercard was terrible. $80 for a meaningless main event? I'll pass.

bulldoze and AliHolmesMayweather like this.
  6. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    This will solve the problem in PPV.
    Between $15-28 depending on the matchup. Less cost can bring back More buyers.

7. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    $50 is good for top fights, with good undercard. not more.

usually it should be $20 with ok undercard.

8. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Mayweather Canelo has Garcia Matthyse as chief support. Only one of note I can really think of.

Way too expensive. Would love it if Spence Crawford was 30 dollars. See what business they can do with that

9. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    The vast majority of ppl that pirate probably don't buy PPV at all. I agree.

Imagine I sold steaks for a living. If I offered a thousand people a free steak for dinner this week I would get a lot of people taking me up on that. Next week I charge full price. I'm not going to sell a thousand steaks. A large majority of those people are going to go to Mcdonalds instead. They were never even in the market to buy steaks to begin with.

Even if Bob could stop the illegal streams, the vast majority of people watching the stream will just read about the fight the next day.

Robney likes this.
  10. snake33

snake33 Active Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Everything is overpriced in the US. The megarich are draining the place.

11. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    I've only paid for one PPV.... GGG vs Canelo. I wasn't happy about the draw at all.

12. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The faltering if PPV is its own fault. Greed and shitty undercards are killing it.

Dementia Pugulistica likes this.
  13. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    The growing knowledge of illegal streams might have something to do with it too.

14. MrBarry465

MrBarry465 Active Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2021
    Fighters are going to have to accept lower purses then.

15. 941Jeremy

941Jeremy Active Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    PPV is just not sustainable at any price. People who stream fights are going to still stream them even if the price drops to $5.