Assuming Fury beats Joshua, what else would Fury need to do to cement his legacy as a top 25 ATG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Jan 9, 2019.

Assuming Fury beats Johsua, what else would Fury need to do to cement his legacy as a top 25 ATG?

1. That would do it alone

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Beating AJ plus 2 more title defenses vs top ten rated opponents, one loss would be okay

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Beating AJ plus 4 more title defenses vs top ten rated opponents, one loss would be okay

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Beating AJ plus 6 more title defenses without a loss vs top ten rated opponents

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Assuming Fury beats Joshua, what else would Fury need to do to cement his legacy as a top 25 ATG?

The top ten is a mess right now, but to answer my own question, over AJ puts him in the conversation, but it might not be enough. However, if we added a win over Whyte or Miller, combined with a win or two over the 4 Olympic 2016 medal winners ( Hrgovic, Joyce, Dychko or Yoka ) that might do it, but he can't lose more than once along the way in his prime.

So for me Joshua, and 4 wins over top ten opponents, allowing for one loss in his prime.

In my opinion, this would be enough. Admittedly I'm not a Fury fan, but I have gained respect for his ability in the ring.

ipitythefool likes this.
  2. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I wanted this one in the classic section as it asks a historical type of question.

3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    This would do it. Beating the two other best heavies of the day gets you there, and is something that Jack Dempsey, Floyd Patterson, and a number of other greats did not do.

4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I feel the HW division really sucks now. AJ would be a good scalp assuming he goes on to gve a good career. But I'm not too impressed with the rest.

5. pincai

pincai The Indonesian Thin Man Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Top 25 Heavyweight Yes.
    Top 25 all time NO

red_roo likes this.
  6. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm on my own asking for ten defences against decent opposition. The greats not only reach the top, they stay there, they take the pressure of being the champion and the man everyone wants to beat. Fury didn't manage even one defence. He needs to show not just that he can beat the man, but that he can be the man.

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    The way I see it, he beat Wlad ( older ) beat Wilder, but was robbed in to a draw and AJ is the #1 guy out there, pretty proven by the top ten today. At the very least being AJ makes him the top dog in the past five years.

8. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    I'd worry about Fury if he beat AJ & Wilder... what else would be left for him?... That was this issue last time... I do hope I'm wrong.

9. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    The win would make him a rop 25 HW of all time, however I don't think he can.

10. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    You pretty much cannot compare HWs to the lower weight classes.

Typically lower weight class fighters have far more opportunities to fight high quality opposition. Because they can clean out multiple divisions. Plus the talent pool at HW is smaller anyways because few people are actually that big.

11. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Wlad was old. Wilder vastly overrated. Joshua at this point would be excellent win. Those 3 wins combined puts him in conversation for top 25 but I think he would need another top 10 guy and some 3 filler wins. Denying Wlad the rematch hurts because until he beat Wilder I felt - that Fury felt- his win over Wlad was flukish and he avoided the rematch. The schooling over Wilder has in the eyes of many made ppl forget that situation. He would be wise not to waste this second opportunity to really establish himself as the top Hw

12. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Lol fury’s win over 40yo wlad is absolutely overrated,then he drew with wilder the guy who can’t box and now you asking if the win over big stiff juiceshua would make him 25ATG lol??? Lol
    NO !!! Fury is not ATG material and I also think Juiceshua beats him.

13. cmctcook

cmctcook New Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I don't know about top 25, all time great - its just so hard to compare fighter from different eras. What I do think though is if Fury beats Joshua, he certainly cements himself as best of his generation; and also think best since Vitaly retired... its a big ask though! That would have been a good match up too - Prime Vitalyvs Prime Fury...

Holler likes this.
  14. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    I am not saying he is top 25atg material, but what could he do to get there in your eyes. Seems like nothing? Nobody modern day could get there? Come on maaaan

15. pernellaaron

pernellaaron Active Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Avenge the Wilder result and beat Usyk if he acclimates to heavyweight. After That consistently defending the titles, heavyweight more than any other class is about length of reign