ATG BANTAMWEIGHT TOURNIE: THE FINAL - RUBEN OLIVARES MD15 EDER JOFRE

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, May 23, 2020.

Who will win the tournament?

Poll closed May 26, 2020.
  1. Olivares

50.0%
  2. Jofre

50.0%
  1. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Years ago I bought both Jofre v Harada fights, and what film was available of Jofre v Medel. I don't know if that is Jofre at his best, but he is very good in those fights.
    I saw much more of Olivares. In the Rose fight, I reckon he was as good as you can be. A good friend of mine was ringside that night and swears Olivares was unbeatable.
    Based on what I have seen, Olivares beats Jofre.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    God I so hope Olivares wins.

Flea Man, Clinton and greynotsoold like this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
  4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Good one lol

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I actually do though. :lol: he was at the time I wrote that.

Clinton likes this.
  6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    They didn't call Olivares Rockabye Ruben for nothing. There are so many great fantasy matchups out there. But for me, this and Chavez Duran, are the most mouth watering.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. Jester

Jester Active Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Olivares in a razor thin decision that could not be closer. Being the bigger puncher of the two, I see Olivares landing the harder punches and making a bigger impression on the judges. While Jofre would certainly be capable of hurting Olivares as well, I think Ruben's power would force him to be more cautious than usual, allowing Olivares to steal some key rounds, making the difference on the cards.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    An hour remains!

9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Ruben Olivares has won the ATG Bantamweight tournie by way of controversial decision. The key aspect was a fourteenth round knockdown scored by Olivares but which appeared to many to be a slip; while a punch went in, just above Jofre's left ear, it was thrown after the referee seemed about to intervene as Jofre fell to his right as Olivares turned away from him as Jofre held onto Olivares' right glove. The disagreement as to whether or not Jofre was falling or just moving across Olivares when the punch landed seems to have no resolution.

All of this matters because Olivares won the fight by a single point on one card, by two on the other, the third card even; in other words, if the knockdown had not been counted, a three way split draw would have been the result.

This followed a tension-drenched contest, dominated early by the jab of Jofre who began introducing in earnest his right hand in the third; Olivares, who appeared tentative having been dusted with this punch throughout the fourth, began countering with left hands to the body in the sixth and clearly hurt Jofre in both the seventh and eighth with this punch. Hereafter Jofre adapted to a box and move strategy with rounds desperately close throughout,both men failing to score with heavy punches until the tenth when both landed hard uppercuts in another pick-em round.

War, finally, broke out in the eleventh when Olivares finally landed his left hook upstairs and Jofre fired back with brutal bodyshots. Mixing it in close, sniping one-another with uppercuts and short jabs it appeared to be a Jofre round, but another booming Olivares hook made the round, once more, debatable, mere seconds before the bell.

Jofre clearly won the twelfth, Olivares the thirteenth, before the controversial knockdown in the fourteenth; this appeared to light a fire under Jofre who clearly took a dramatic fifteenth from what appeared to be a fading Olivares; the Mexican fired back in the final minute, the two men embracing at the bell.

In the normal course of events a rematch would be required. As it stands, that is not possible - your champion, El Puas!

This content is protected

10. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Las glorias del gran Púas!!

11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Damn. I'd have gone Jofre in this one!

12. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    If it’s tied 10-10 and the only fighter who anyone predicted would win by KO was Jofre how would Olivares get the nod? Just curious.

13. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Shouldn't it be a draw?

Jel likes this.
  14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Casting vote goes to the man who runs the show boys! No draws in a round robin.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    "The crowd booed the decision as it was clear from the scoring that the bogus knockdown had been the deciding factor. Journalists were split down the middle in terms of who they thought won but were unanimous in their feeling that the knockdown had been the influencing factor in the final scoring.

Ringside reports suggested that WBC President Jose Sulaiman could be spotted nodding to the referee in an indication to pick up the count against Jofre in the pivotal 14th round."

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    WhataRock likes this.