ATG FEATHERWEIGHT: ROUND 1, FIGHT 3 - VICENTE SALDIVAR UD15 TONY CANZONERI

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, May 26, 2020.

Who will win?

Poll closed May 29, 2020.
  1. Saldivar

68.4%
  2. Canzoneri

31.6%
  1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    What a draw, still the first round.

The term “cleared out the weight division” is perhaps the most abused in boxing. This is because it almost never happens; there’s always someone out there. That being said, Vicente Saldivar (seeded 3) perhaps came as close as any man to achieving the mythical clearout; he roared through the featherweight division of the 1960s with few left behind to tell the tale of his passing unscathed.

The road to the world title was opened up in a fascinating contest between future greats as he was matched with the soon-to-be lightweight champion Ismael Laguna. That fight was not without its controversies and there were some in attendance who believed Laguna was good for the nod. Highlights of that contest can be found on the McGrain boxing channel on YouTube and shows a close contest but certainly not one that would lend itself to serious objections. Whatever the detail, Saldivar got the nod and in his next contest he met with Sugar Ramos for the featherweight crown.

Ramos, a 2-1 favorite, was cloaked in an unfortunate aura of danger since he took the life of Davey Moore in claiming the title, and he oozed confidence as he entered the bull-ring that held the fight-ring where he was to make his fourth defense. Early, he had success with a long jab to the body, and some rushing, wild hooks. Saldivar, poisonous, squat, compact, studied Ramos in turn and as the fight progressed, he began to find him. Saldivar had learned this wonderful habit, but when he found a fighter it tended to be all at once. Suddenly Saldivar, who had been trying to open up his victim with a jab, a one-two, a sometime body-attack, could be found throwing eight punch combinations. How the fight might progress would, in the main, be decided by how the opponent dealt with such terror and Ramos did not deal with it well. Through the tenth and eleventh rounds, Saldivar achieved rare heights, even for a championship ring, finding seamless squads of punches thrown in neat, compact bunches, all the while, dipping and sliding the increasingly desperate winging blows coming his way in return. These two rounds – and the sick punishment that preceded it – may have been the absolute peak of Saldivar’s career, but we have plenty to choose from. When Ramos failed to answer the bell for the twelfth, a new and violent era was begun.

Saldivar was an insidious force of nature, someone who built his fight-plan from the bottom and delivered the knockout when he was ready and not before. As for the possibility of his being out-pointed, he was a brilliant technician with superb speed and a patience matched only by that of Salvador Sanchez. Age caught up to him in the form of the inexhaustible Kuniaki Shibata but by that point two stints as world champion and a record of 9-0 in featherweight title fights against excellent competition had already guaranteed his immortality.
    This content is protected

Tony Canzoneri (seeded 14), the whirling dervish, the vanishing vapor, as perplexing and confounding a fighter as ever took to the ring, ranks great or near great in every division he ever boxed in. He was a monster who stands here alongside any of the other monsters from this installment that you care to mention.

Canzoneri gathered together the title pieces left shattered by the departure from the division of Louis Kaplan and is generally recognized as lineal from 1928 when he defeated both Johnny Dundee and Benny Bass. These were Canzoneri’s best wins at the weight but unfortunately also the year he was ejected from consideration for the top ten, defeated, as he was, by old foe Andre Routis. The two staged a towering contest punctuated by savage exchanges in which Canzoneri was surprisingly edged out. Overall, he dominated the series with Routis, but this was their key fight and in dropping a split decision Canzoneri suffered an undermining of his featherweight legacy.

Nevertheless, he built a splendid resume at the poundage, twice defeating Ignacio Fernandez, former bantamweight champion Bud Taylor, Al Singer and Joey Sangor, all ranked men when he tortured them with his wonderful blend of unorthodox boxing and savage fighting.
    This content is protected

Who will win under the following rules?

15 round fight.
    1950s referee.
    8oz boxing gloves.
    10 points must.

Cast your vote and explain yourself in a post below! You have 3 days.

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I would love it if this one was as easy to decide on as Pep-Ramos. Got to cogitate on this one.

3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    My Lord, it's two of my favourite fighters, plus a really tough and interesting match up. Damn, I'll have to think about this.

If you are doing every weight McGrain, will Canzi still appear in the LW tourney or a super feather tourney?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Lots of talk, no votes!

You'll have to wait and see roughdiamond, but I will say that being in the featherweight tournie wouldn't exclude someone from the lightweight one.

5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Canzi was not yet the Canzi that was the stuff of legends. He peaked at 135. In a great fight, which would go 15, I see Saldivar, the attrition master, grinding out the decision over the last 3 rounds.

6. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I've gone for Saldivar for the same reason as scar and a similar manner of victory as he said. I'll elaborate a bit later probably unless someone else sums it up nicely.

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is a fantastic fight, one I've never pondered even for a second. In comparison to the other two (where I'm fairly confident that Pep and Saddler would win 9-6 type decisions over Sugar and Chocolate), this is one that's really been troubling me. It's always hard to pick a winner when the two are both so unique and so evenly matched.

I pick Saldívar, but very hesitantly. Both men were masters of positioning their feet and were both very good against similar-styled fighters. I think Canzoneri's style of defence is really difficult for Saldívar to get past, since Tony liked to keep his hands low and pick holes in an incoming target. He relied on his foot and head placement to keep himself out of danger. I feel like this, combined with his straight right would be very effective against a southpaw. Especially one who liked to wait for someone who to open up before attacking, since, in essence, Tony is always open (in terms of where his hands are). Now understand that I know Saldívar didn't just wait for people to open before attacking, he made things happen himself, and I think he was just as good at this as Canzoneri was at positioning.

I think Canzoneri would pick up the early rounds, countering Saldívar in a technical fight. Saldívar, after finding it hard to break-through big, would turn to going downstairs with his right hand. Then, in what I imagine would be nigh-on impossible to score, both men have success at what they do best; countering. However Saldívar would be making more opportunities for himself, since that was the centre of his style. Saldívar's higher workrate is what I think would be the main difference here, especially in the final three. Although I'm sure no-one's getting KOed here.

Saldívar SD15, in a splendid fight.

Jel, Clinton, McGrain and 2 others like this.
  8. Jester

Jester Active Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I'll go for Saldivar's to outwork Canzoneri, although he would have a very tough time finding Canzoneri and pinning him down. But I don't see Canzoneri, as great as he was, being able to slow Saldivar's output or being able to deter him. Canzoneri's excellent boxing would prove frustrating for Saldivar, who I think would have to absorb a lot of punishment. But Saldivar's own superb footwork would help him neutralize Canzoneri's mobility somewhat and help Saldivar keep pace with Canzoneri throughout the fight.

Saldivar by close decision.

9. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    There's no right or wrong answer here. Saldivar was better at the weight but Canzoneri was better overall. Since this is Saldivars territory I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jel, Reinhardt and roughdiamond like this.
  10. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    ‘Eff knows. I’ve gone Saldivar to win a close one, but who knows really? Canzoneri could be the best H2H FW or he could go out first round.

Marcel is the best H2H FW for my money

young griffo, Jel, Reinhardt and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    It's just dawned on me that I've gone against Canzi in the first round and it's made me melancholy. Chuff.

Also, what Flea said.

Flea Man and roughdiamond like this.
  13. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    A battle of the master baiters (heh heh). I can see Saldivar being confounded by Canzoneri, who just beats him at the baiting and positioning stakes. However, Saldivar at his peak has the work-rate and underrated defense to take the fight in the late going. Canzoneri would win one of three in my opinion, but at his absolute peak it is hard to pick against Saldivar. SD.

young griffo, Jel, Flea Man and 3 others like this.
  14. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Such a strange match up.

Canzoneri is the greater fighter overall, I've no doubt, but as a FW Saldivar is a legend whereas Canzoneri is more a fable.

Both have troubling losses but both also have great great wins.

When on fire, few people can stop Saldivar and from. Getting into his groove and I don't think Canzoneri is one of them.

Saldivar UD

McGrain likes this.
  15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    This is how I see it, pretty much. I don't think Saldivar would have to look for Canzoneri either, I think they'd be headed for that place where grinding matters.

Canzoneri was a physical specimen but I do think that at that time of his career Saldivar had the goods and would have been able to place him under control for long enough by round to win many of the late ones.