Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I came to the same conclusion. Thumb.

2. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Yes they really don't like getting their heads caved in but don't really have any other way to earn money so you get this take a fight and pull out routine..

MidniteProwler likes this.
  3. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Bring back Bob Mirovic and Col Wilson

They would get a taxi from the pub to the ring you could get them on such short notice.

juppity, PIRA, Mr Icaman and 3 others like this.
  4. bobbyknuckles

bobbyknuckles New Member Full Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Gday, Just wondering if anyone now's anything about the lamings, they had a gym in glebe (golden gloves).
    I believe dave sands trained there when in sydney and tony mundine did a little there as well.
    Bill Laming is actually my grandpa, he died a few years back and i was only 9 at the time, i never really had the chance to sit down and have a chat with him bout his earlier years. I haven't had any contact with any other laming's outside of grandpa's family, i would love to get in contact with anyone who knew them.
    Just wondering if i could get in contact with anyone somehow, i would like to learn a bit more about my roots and where i came from.
    I believe ozstriker use to fight out of the lamings gym, if anyone knows how i could get in touch with him i would be keen as.
    Any info is appreciated. Cheers.

5. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Maybe ask the trainers at the pcyc in glebe & balmain, dont know who runs them these days, was johny layton and charlie gurgen back in the day. Those guys will know. Good luck

6. bobbyknuckles

Nov 22, 2020
    Cheers mate, I will do

7. JOSEY WALES

JOSEY WALES Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    This thread is the place you need to be but it can be slow on occasion , be patient and bump your post from time to time .Good luck .

8. bobbyknuckles

Nov 22, 2020
    Aye cheers mate, yeh will do....
    have a good one.

JOSEY WALES likes this.
  9. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    * Dennis Hogan to fight former Champ Julian Williams in Main Event PBC on Fox Dec 26.
    * Michael Zerafa fight announcement Dec 16 for March fight.
    * DAZN fight schedule which launches Aust Dec 1 .
    Joshua vs Pulev Dec 12
    GGG vs Szeremta Dec 18
    Canleo vs Smith Dec 19
    Garcia vs Campbell Jan 2
    * Lovermore Ndou Biography .
    http://au.newhollandpublishers.com/books/biography/tough-love.html

This content is protected

10. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    * Errol Spence vs Danny Garcia will be live on Fox 505 from 1 pm AEST this Sun.
    * Main support will by Sebastian Fundora ( Daniel Lewis ) vs Jorga Corta in WBC eliminator .
    * Dean Lonegran is organising a State of Origin Boxing in Brisbane New Year.
    Josh Papalli vs Junior Paulo Main Event
    Tod Carney vs Scott Prince
    Quade Cooper vs opponent TBA

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  11. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Really looking forward to seeing Justis Huni fight on Thursday night. Terrific talent up against someone who I reckon is a live opponent. Arsene Fosso is naturally very strong & hits hard. He knocks blokes over just from the force of the backdraft when he swings at them. Justis needs to use speed & skill on him & not get into a tough man contest (although it will be exciting if one breaks out). Sparring with him in his home gym is a different thing to facing him in a real fight. If he has to go 10 rounds with Fosso, so be it. The important thing is to get the W.

There's some decent talent on the undercard as well. Tej Singh versus The Headsplitter is a well matched fight while Andrew Hunt is a real good talent. That Teremoana Jr guy has a decent amateur pedigree & is making his pro debut. Not sure if his fight will be televised. He holds a win over Justis Huni & will be a valuable sparring partner for him if he can get a pro career going.

Quality sparring & making sure Justis gets it is something that's going to need to be addressed if he's to make it to the pointy end of the sport as a professional. I've said previously they should bring Ivan Dychko out here to spar with him for a month in the lead-up to the Olympics. If they want an Olympic gold medal, those are the kinds of things that have to be done.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    juppity, Inglis_1 and WhataRock like this.
  12. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Also saw that fox sports is showing BJS v Martin Murray Sunday morning but that fight really isn't worth watching anyway LOL
    Hopefully they match Quade Cooper with somebody who can fight back. I don't mind the footy players having a go as long as it is against each other and not some poor middle aged bloke who goes to the gym on the weekends.

juppity and Sandman_ like this.
  13. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    This is a great card tomorrow. I just hope they'll give everyone a fair shake here as there are a lot of Brisbane based fighters fighting guys from other states and we all know how corrupt Aussie boxing is , especially Queensland.

I have a tons of bets on this card tomorrow...really, really good card!

MidniteProwler, juppity and Sandman_ like this.
  14. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    There's often good value on Australian fight cards. The bookies will often price something wrong (by my estimation). When they do, that's the one to jump on. I actually wouldn't touch most of tonight's card b/c they've priced it about right. Mostly. I'm expecting the Queenslanders to win. There's certainly good value if they don't.

juppity likes this.
  15. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Danny Kennedy at +260 was/is some good value in my opinion. Kennedy is a really good boxer with a lot of assets. He was beating up Brubaker for the majority of the fight until he got stopped due to a really, really bad cut on the eyelid. He's really underrated in general, also got some great sparring in with Telford, Kambosos and Turner. I was never really impressed by his opponent. He was hurt a couple of times in his last fight but outmuscled his opponent and outworked him. Kennedy is much much better than that. He should be the favorite in my opinion if we're just talking about skills but obviously the home advantage is big here for Kite.

Sandman_ likes this.