Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Sandman_

Sandman_ Gold medalist & Lineal champ Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Maybe I'm being a little conservative in approach.

What about Liam Smith in September & put in a big offer to Castano to fight out here in January? On Australia Day.

Then make a mandatory against Kurbanov in Red Square in June/July (Russian summer) & then close out next year by blowing past Checkpoint Charlo for the Undisputed championship. Not hard to see Charlo doing the Zab Zudah shuffle after what we saw from him yesterday.

It's four big fights until Undisputedville for the Tool Train!

ecto55, MidniteProwler and WhataRock like this.
  2. ipswich express

ipswich express Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Dana Coolwell will face Manuer Matet for the vacant Aussie Super Feather title on Tasman Fighters Sept 11 show.

WhataRock likes this.
  3. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4 Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Any word on who Gallen might be fighting next?

Sandman_ likes this.
  4. WhataRock

WhataRock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Tasman delivering the goods yet again.

Just hope any of the NSW based fighters can make it no hassle.

ipswich express likes this.
  5. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Not very confident of Kambosos getting his shot at Teo lads.

That saga has had more twists and turns than a week on Ramsay st.

Sandman_ likes this.
  6. ipswich express

Aug 22, 2004
    Triller’s bid was ridiculous to be honest. Way over the odds. But they’re entitled to put it wherever they want. I suspect George will be fighting for a vacant belt.

MidniteProwler and WhataRock like this.
  7. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Congrats to Brisbane, Queensland for winning the right to host the 2032 Olympic games.

I wonder if 2012 Olympian Horndog will be asked to light the Olympic cauldron?

In other news, it looks like Timmy Tool Train will be facing American Tony Harrison rather than Brit Liam Smith. Either is a good fight.

There's some sense in that given that both Charlo & Castano are with PBC. It makes sense to establish that relationship & to begin fighting their guys. Would still like to see a Liam Smith fight at some point, particularly if Charlo & Castano are otherwise indisposed.

WhataRock likes this.
  8. MidniteProwler

Sep 19, 2012
    I actually think that Harrison is a much tougher fight. He is more skilled and experienced at the top level. It's a tough fight for sure Tszyu will need to target Harrison's glass jaw with the right hand.

9. ipswich express

Aug 22, 2004
    Sept 15 I’m hearing for Tszyu v Harrison and in Qld.

10. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Another coup by Pallet Jack.

The Queenslanders are hitting back!!!

Sandman_ likes this.
  11. ipswich express

Aug 22, 2004
    Admittedly, that does seem to be a little bit of a short lead in time to promote. See what happens but that’s the whisper I heard.

12. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    I think Harrison is a tough fight. I actually think he is to risky but Tim has to beat this level of fighter if he is in with any chance against Mell and Castaño.
    But obviously they feel if they do struggle his questionable chin and engine will give them an opportunity for Tim to finish it later on.
    I actually think Tim would struggle to beat Beefy, as if he couldn't figure him out I'm not sure he could dig himself out of a hole against him.

Harrison made Charlo look very average for long periods in both their fights. He has great offensive skillset and can be very slippery. He will probably test Tim's whiskers, the tooltrain has been a little lax in defence in his last week bouts...but he could afford to be, this fight not so much.

13. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm not completely comfortable with Harrison as the opponent. I think Liam Smith in a defence of the Commonwealth title made the most sense. Win that & then do the Harrison fight. Looks like the Tool Train has been put on the express track. Harrison then, if he wins, Castano before the end of the year. Will be a good test of Australian boxing, not just Tim, when the fight occurs b/c Tim has really only ever faced domestic Australian opposition. And a couple of our best have elected not to face him. Wade Ryan, Joel Camilleri & Dwight Ritchie (RIP) are the Tool Train's key development fights. Following on from those, former WBO Welter champ Horndog & Uncrowned WBO Jr Middle champ Dennis Hogan are his biggest wins. Don't think he could have been much more impressive against them than he was. Liam Smith would have given us a good measure of where Tim is at in comparison to the top Russian based Russian. Harrison I guess will give us some sort of comparison with how Tim measures up against Charlo. Probably not the opponent I would have picked for him next, but let's get it on anyway. We rollin'!

juppity, MidniteProwler and johnny_o like this.
  14. MidniteProwler

Sep 19, 2012
    I agree with a lot of what you said but I think that Tszyu fights to the level of his opponents. A lot of experts thought that he wasn’t ready for Horn and that he should’ve waited but he completely destroyed him. Tszyu’s team are very knowledgeable and know they can beat Harrison who did look very lacklustre in his last fight that was a draw. Tszyu might surprise us all again and completely destroy Harrison.

juppity, WhataRock and Sandman_ like this.
  15. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    I think that's right - he could well destroy Harrison early to mid-rounds which would give us a false sense of where Junior is at. That's another reason why I would have preferred Liam Smith. Junior would have had to work hard for 10 rounds to get the win. The fact that there's less than two months until 15 September means there's not going to be a big opportunity for Harrison to have a long camp & lift his game significantly. He's likely to bring the form he last showed with him & get smoked. A two-week Covid quarantine out here will help him, imo. One of the big mistakes people make coming out here is arriving a week before the fight. You need to arrive here two weeks beforehand. With quarantine, Harrison will get here three weeks before the fight. It will help but may also cut short his US preparation which won't.

juppity and MidniteProwler like this.