Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Tszyu should stay busy, an easy fight before throwing down with the best would be cool. I wonder what Ben Horn is up to?

johnny_o and MidniteProwler like this.
  2. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Even the cowboys up in the QLD wouldn't sanction that.

3. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    David Nyika has a pretty good path to a medal lads. All pretty winnable fights though he potentially tackles the Russian world and european champ in the semis who has a win over him.

Our lads have it a bit harder. Though Harry might be in with a chance to move a couple of rounds.

Sandman_ and ipswich express like this.
  4. ipswich express

ipswich express Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Sept 29 I'm now hearing for Timmy. On the Goldie.

Inglis_1, Sandman_ and WhataRock like this.
  5. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Garside won comfortably against the PNG lad.

Next up the no1 ranked african and no2 seed.

ipswich express and Sandman_ like this.
  6. ipswich express

Aug 22, 2004
    Garside boxed well. Got caught a bit too much in the first but his work rate was superb.

WhataRock likes this.
  7. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    * Tim Tszyu next fight now Nov opponent TBA.
    * Steve Spark vs Rivan Cesaire at 147 lbs Sept 4.
    * Alex Leapai son Aex is in yr 10 and 193 cm and 118 kg and signed with the Roosters .
    * Lovermore Ndou plans Charity Fight Night Oct / Nov to raise funds for South Africa. Mundine and Horn names in discussion.

8. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Great to see Skye Nicholson advance.

Paulo Aokuso fights today. He is actually probably the best talent out of all the Australians but is in a very difficult side of the draw.

The Chechen Spaniard looked very solid in the euro qualifiers and will be a difficult task.
    If Paulo can prevail there it doesn't get any easier as he faces the winner between the Kazakh and Russian. The Kazakh especially is one of the gold medal fans.

juppity and Sandman_ like this.
  9. ipswich express

Aug 22, 2004
    The Russian boxed beautifully to beat the Kazak. Hard day at the office for our guys. Caitlyn Parker boxed really well but couldn't overcome her opponents huge height and reach advantage. Aukuso went down in a close one. Skye's fight was a beauty. Again, could've gone either way but the Brit got the nod and deservingly so IMO. Harry Garside now flying the flag.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    WhataRock and Sandman_ like this.
  10. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    The only fighter (male or female) we have left in the tournament is the one who didn't qualify for the Olympics through the Asia & Oceania Olympic qualifiers. It's funny how these things work out.

Harry fights on Saturday 18:37 Toyko time (they're an hour behind us so 7:37pm AEST) against a Namibian. It's for a place in the Quarters I think. So we're not into the medals yet.

Todays highlights are Jalolov at 1:03pm AEST & Kunkabayev at 7:31pm AEST making their first appearances in the tournament at Super Heavy.

Tomorrow David Nyika at 2:54pm AEST is in the Quarter Finals at Heavyweight. The Kiwis will collect a medal if he wins.

johnny_o and WhataRock like this.
  11. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    The gold medal favourite for middleweight the Ukranian is worth a look aswell. Things haven't exactly followed the script these games, which makes it better.

So far been a few upsets @Sandman_ . A little surprised but not shocked the Kazakh @ light heavy got beaten because I know the ruski was good. Not one I would have picked though.

The Uzbek featherweight who is the reigning world and asian champ. Who dominated the Asia qualifiers, has been eliminated aswell.

johnny_o and Sandman_ like this.
  12. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Hey boyo's the four kings doco is now available to watch on Foxtel if you haven't already seen it.

13. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    I was very surprised to see the Kazakh light heavy get done. If I could have bought stock in a fighter having future professional success, it would have been him. I didn't know anything about the Russian though.

The Kiwi is looking good for a medal while I'm hoping Harry wins on Saturday. If he does, he'll be fighting for a medal next up after that.

14. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    They have fought before and someone recommended I check it out a couple of weeks ago.

It was a bit of a war of a attrition. He is built like a brick sh*thouse and has a bit of an unorthodox style. Some felt the Ruski won the first fight but I didn't feel that way.

I actually thought the opposite would happen in the games and the Kazakh would make adjustments to win clearer this time.
    I was wrong.

I feel for the lad but now he can jump into the pro ranks and have a red hot go at it.

Sandman_ likes this.
  15. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Good win by Harry. Won every round I thought. He's into the quarter finals & is boxing well.

Tough one next up against the bloke from Kazakhstan. Win that & he's earned his Olympic medal.

Fights same bat time (7:35pm AEST) & same bat channel, Tuesday night.

The Kiwi, David Nyika, fights for a spot in the final at H/W at 1:18pm AEST on the same day.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021