Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    * Gallen hopes to have three fights in next 12 mths depending on COVID 19 of course. Names on short list include Darcy Lussick and Manly prop Josh Aloiai.
    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/box...st-boxer-in-the-nrl/bl56c8bppbks1nuvgon82chcv
    * Steve Spark opponent Rivan withdrawn from Sept 4 card. Card still on .
    * Zerafa down to fight Oct 16 Melb opponent TBA .

2. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Love to see an Aussie vs NZ event later in the year/early next year once the bubble opens back up and vaccination rates are higher. Something Lonegran might be able to facilitate.

Not so much to pitt the two countries against each other. Just give a few Trans-Tasman fighters a chance to shine.

Maybe something like:

Huni vs Ahio
    Light vs Whateley
    Waterman vs Pampellone

He can have a couple of his NRL fights that he had planned.

Nyika and Aukoso is separate showcase bouts. Perhaps Nyika in against Ben Kelleher level fighter.

Sandman_ likes this.
  3. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    He did it!!

Onya Harry.

MidniteProwler, juppity and Sandman_ like this.
  4. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great win by Harry. We had the American & Argentinian judges on board.

Harry turned one of the others with a great performance in the second round & held it together in the last.

I was concerned that a good last minute from the Kazakh may have changed the outcome but glad they scored the round as a whole.

First Olympic medal since Spike Cheney in 1988. Great stuff, Harry! And well done to the cheer squad who may have made the difference.

WhataRock, juppity and johnny_o like this.
  5. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    * Zerafa " They tarnished me and my team , they tried to beat me down. Should have buried me when they has the chance. Stay tuned . Big news coming . WBA interim ". Eubank Jr in Uk ?
    * Isaac Hardman now no 12 at WBO.
    * Garside vs Cuban Andy Cruz semi final Fri 3.47 AEST.

6. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Olympic medals are harder to come by than professional world championships. I had an appetite for one this year so very glad that Harry has delivered in the absence of Justis Huni.

I saw a little bit of the Cuban in action against the Brazilian prior to Harry's fight & he looked multi-dimensional. Could box & punch, was extremely athletic & actually looked to be quite physically strong as well.

7. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I actually give Zerafa a good chance at beating Eubank Jnr

juppity and Sandman_ like this.
  8. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Cruz is at the peak of his powers and is got to be the red hot favourite for gold.

He has beaten just about all the name fighters in the competition before.

Outside of a very contentious loss to that talented Frenchman who got eliminated, I dont think Andy has lost since 2016.

Harry has nothing to lose though. Just go out and do whats been working so far, if he falls behind just throw caution to the wind and see if he can sway the judges.

ipswich express and Sandman_ like this.
  9. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Good effort Harry time to turn pro now and make some money.

WhataRock and Sandman_ like this.
  10. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Harry boxed well in the first two rounds despite not winning them. He tried to apply the blowtorch in the third which isn't his style & was outclassed. Really happy with Harry's performances overall throughout the tournament though. Only the second Olympic boxing medal I've seen one of our guys deliver which says it all. He didn't get a particularly easy draw either. He earned it.

I think Harry's style is better suited to the amateurs than the professional ranks but with a Commonwealth games gold & now an Olympic bronze under his belt, there's not much left for him to achieve in the amateurs.

juppity, WhataRock and MidniteProwler like this.
  11. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Well said mate.

So proud of Harry. He had no business even getting close to beating the no2 seed Namibian and vastly more experienced Kazakh.

And he went out like a boss going against his usual style to try and turn the tide. Got a bit lit up aswell but finished on his feet.

juppity, MidniteProwler and Sandman_ like this.
  12. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    I can smell a rivalry with Ben Horn cooking already.

MidniteProwler, Sandman_ and johnny_o like this.
  13. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
  14. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    An Olympic bronze & a WBA world championship would be a good week's work, I reckon.

We will have something for the Stifler's Mum thread trophy cabinet at the end of the year.

I wonder if Justis Huni would consider continuing on as an amateur now that he's out for an extended stint?

Probably not but it's only three years to go until the next Olympics & there's some big events between now & then.

If he stays pro, get those two big units from Kazakhstan out here to fight him. The bronze medalists from the last three Olympics.

They will both be all about the money from here on in so securing them as opponents for him would make up for not going to the Olympics this year.

juppity likes this.
  15. ipswich express

ipswich express Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    No chance Huni will go back to the singlets IMO.

WhataRock and Sandman_ like this.