Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Horn vs Mundine undercard update ( subject to change ).
    Former am star Liam Wilson is to fight opponent tba. It seems Liam is moving down
    to 130 lbs.
    Ipswich Kurtis Pegorara who last fight was smashed by Jai Opetia is fighting
    Kiwi David Aloua.
    Its seems Joe Goodall fight with Haumono is off. Fight Call Out has some
    fighting words for Goodall " We don't have many HW in Aust. Its too early
    in Joes career to start ducking fights. What's he going to hide from Willis
    his whole career ? Let them fight on big stage at Suncorp Stadium Joes
    hometown. We've been told there is a spot for them on the card. All
    that Joe has to do is to accept the fight. "
    This content is protected

Looks like next Aust to fight for world title could be Kye Frenzy Mackenzie.
    Frenzy was stated to fight Billel Dib on Horn vs Mundine but Dib has withdrawn
    and Frenzy looking for new opponent. Frenzy is WBO no 3 and a win could
    make no 1 if Lomachenko beats WBO Champ Juan Pedraza in Dec.
    Sydney Promoter Matt Rose is negotiating to bring Loma to fight Frenzy
    at the new Parramatta Stadium ( 30000 ) in April.

red_roo, zoley and Sandman_ like this.
  2. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    You are probably right one of the Maloney brothers could pick up a vacant title after the WBSS concludes. Kambosos looks good but realistically he is not winning a world title at lightweight anytime soon. Who is he going to beat Loma? Garcia? LOL. I would like to see him in with a top 10 guy or a veteran gatekeeper or someone like Ricky Burns who has fought at world level but is now past it. I don't think that he is ready for guys like Easter, Shafikov or Commey. Even Beltran might be a step too far at this stage but he needs a good win.

red_roo and Sandman_ like this.
  3. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Just took a look at the junior bantam world rankings.

Andrew Moloney is at #4 with both the WBC & WBA, at #9 with the WBO (whose title is vacant) & #11 with the IBF.

Can't say I'm any sort of authority on the junior bantam champs these days but they look beatable.

red_roo and juppity like this.
  4. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    I said " the title will became vacant and Ferocious will hopefully be in line to fight for one
    of them ". I never said he could beat Loma and Garcia. Anyway Garcia is pursuing a fight
    with Spence Jr as predicted and vacated the title. You have a record of being wrong
    like you were with Jeff Horn and lets hope lightning streaks twice pal !!!

DONT B SCARED and Sandman_ like this.
  5. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I want Kambosos to win a world title I like the kid I just said he needs to prove himself against a good opponent.
    You pick one example which was controversial to say I have a record of being wrong LOL give it a rest pal.

6. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    George Kambosos Jr is taking the hard route to a world title and basing himself in the
    States. Yes its not good for local boxing but TJ Doheny realised this and so has Bilal
    Akkawy and Cheeky May.
    Ferocious " Its easy for certain fighters to build up records. Win Regional Titles
    that fees pay for ( bought titles ) and fraud the world ratings to manoeuvre
    them up. But in the end they get caught out. Kambosos Aust real no 1 LW.
    We do it the real way. The hard road , battle tested , proven and ready. "
    Ferocious sparred 110 rds with Pacquiao. He discusses the pressure and
    expectations from Pacquiao.

Press click to watch full screen.

Full doc will be released in Summer 2019.

Sandman_ likes this.
  7. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    If you're good enough, you can reach the top as a professional boxer based in Australia.

Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu & Vic Darchinyan proved that.

Of course you need that international experience & sparring, but it's not necessary to relocate completely.

For some it's the right path to take, but I'm not inclined to think the likes of the Moloney brothers are worse off for not having done so.

The US sports machine chews up guys & spits them out at a rapid rate. That includes professional boxers. Those who spend a long time over there are often left in a very sad state.

Personally, I don't think the guys who have based themselves overseas are any more likely to win world titles than the ones who are based here.

juppity likes this.
  8. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    The WBO have made Dennis Hogan the mandatory for their Junior Middleweight title.

He was already their no.1 contender.

I think it's worth watching his upcoming fight with Jamie Weetch to assess his chances.

His fight after that will likely be his title shot.

We might get to add another world champion to our ranks who happens to be an Irishman!

juppity likes this.
  9. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    Dennis Hogan WBO no 1 JMW and Kye Mackenzie WBO no 3 LW and soon to be WBO no 1 have virtually taken the route Kambosos talked about. Had they taken the K route i doubt they would have found themselves mandatory contenders for the WBO Titles.
    But there is so many politic in ratings and remember GK complaining how his rating
    has gone backwards.
    For all fighters its not possible to relocate overseas and i think its always great when
    local fighters support the local scene. For the fighters who stay at home maybe the
    best as Sandman said is spending training camps overseas and importing sparring
    partners. Like Mundine in Pensacola , TJ Doherty and Darragh Foley in Boston ,
    Bam Bam in Philadelphia , Lucas Browne in Phuket and Brock Jarvis in Bangkok or
    Maloney twins importing Filipino sparring partners.
    Bilal Akkawy is make his New York debut Dec 15 in what will be his second fight
    in the states. Opponent tba.
    Luke Jackson is slated to make his comeback fight 21/ 12 / 18 in card yet to
    be determined and opponent the same. Interesting so close to Christmas.
    Jai Opetia is back in serious training for Belgium Dec 15 fight.
    Jai has said i just done a " a 5 km run , 3rd shadow boxing and 30 laps
    swimming . "

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Sandman_ likes this.
  10. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    JW Steven Sparks goes to 7 - 1 7 ko with a 6rd tko over late replacement Japan
    38 yr old Tashio Ozawa.
    HW Willie Nasio now 11 ko in 12 wins with a 4rd tko over Herman Ene Purchell.
    HW Bowie Tapou making a comeback against Randall Rayment. Rayment is the
    last fighter to go distance with Opetia.
    * Fight Call Out says this fight Nov 23 on a JNI Promotion. I cannot verify this.
    HW Wiilie Meehan next fight Nov 17 against Richard Nemeth. Looks like Joe
    Goodall challenge not accepted.
    Sparring at North Sydney PCYC. . Many a year ago i trained here under former
    Bernie Hall trained fighter Mark Barnett who fought unsuccessfully for the Aust
    WW Title against Neil Pattell. Mark was a good bloke.

Jeff Fenech now training out of City Gym. Brock Jarvis will train here too . Fenech
    is in the ring with entrepreneur Mark Bouris.

Mark Schleibs Aust 118 Champ 10 - 0 6 ko eyes potential all domestic clashes
    with Brock Jarvis , Luke Boyd and Jason Maloney.

Sandman_ likes this.
  11. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Can't really blame Joe Goodall for knocking back the Willis Meehan fight. He's yet to go past a round as a pro. If Jason Whateley is going to campaign as a cruiser, you would have to say those two are our best current professional heavyweight prospects. A fight between them down the track when Goodall has some rounds under his belt is something to look forward to. Kind of disappointed Goodall's fight with Solomon Haumono has fallen through. He likely would have got some rounds & been tested for the first time. Presumably he's still on the Horn v Mundine card. We'll have to wait & see who he's matched with. Hopefully not another anonymous tow-truck driver.

Top Australian heavies:

C - Demsey McKean 12-0 (6) (Australian champ)

1. Lucas Browne 26-1 (23)
    2. Alex Leapai 32-7-4 (26)
    3. Joe Goodall 4-0 (4)
    4. Willis Meehan 6-0 (5)
    5. Solomon Haumono 24-4 (21)
    6. Willie Nasio 12-3 (11)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    juppity, Inglis_1 and JOSEY WALES like this.
  12. JOSEY WALES

JOSEY WALES Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Talking of heavies what's the latest on the proposed bout between Alex & Lucas ? Solid domestic Aussie bust up for sure , gotta happen .

Sandman_ likes this.
  13. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Lucas Browne should be fighting some of these guys, not wasting time coming to NZ to fight guys like Junior Pati.

Sandman_ likes this.
  14. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Haven't heard anything substantive about a fight between Lucas Browne v Alex Leapai.

I suspect there's just not enough money in it domestically to make it worthwhile for either of them. They can make more fighting overseas as opponents for other recognisable heavyweights.

Lucas Browne is probably fighting in NZ to endeavour to drum up some support for a fight with Joseph Parker.

It would seem pretty open as to who Parker's next opponent will be after the one he's got coming up.

juppity likes this.
  15. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    Alex Leapai camp offered and met Browne's demand of 60 k but nothing came of it.
    Not sure what weight is here as Browne is training in Phuket . But he does look quite slim ?

Tim Tszyu here looks like his old man even though its just sparring.

* The Bowie Tapou comeback fight i mentioned before is the wrong date.
    I checked its Nov 25. Let's hope its official.
    Stuart Duncan matchmaker has predicted Horn will end Mundine boxing
    career through sheer volume of punches . Duncan said he offered Andre
    Berto and Adrian Broner more than $ 1m but both rejected his approaches.
    Horn promoter Dean Lonegran was reluctant to take the fight but Duncan
    saw a chance for Horn to fight at 154lbs with a view to permanently
    moving up a weight division.
    Paul Fleming is the co main event fight night Dec 21 with Luke Jackson.
    This will be showtime first fight in a yr. Come on. Stop wasting you career.
    Its time you will thrown in the deep end like Kris George and Luke Jackson
    were. You are not a youngster any more .

Sandman_ likes this.