Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. zelky

zelky Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2007
  2. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    You can't read much into what either side has said in relation to the court proceedings. The substantive issue is presumably whether the contract that was on foot between D&L Events & Jai Opetaia has been breached by either party. Does D&L losing its TV deal mean its promotional agreement with Opetaia was breached & therefore Opetaia had a right to terminate the contract or did the contract remain on foot in which case Opetaia would have breached the agreement by wrongly terminating? Those presumably are the substantive issues the remedy for which is damages. Based on the news report above, D&L brought interlocutory proceedings seeking to prevent Opetaia from terminating their agreement. That's been dismissed. Not sure if further interlocutory proceedings could be brought by D&L seeking to prevent Opetaia from signing with another promoter or fighting at all if & when he does sign. If not, Opetaia would be free to resume his career subject to any position the IBF may assume having regard to their own rules (alluded to above). Not sure why they would want to get involved. Their interest lies in getting paid & if Opetaia is fighting, they will be.

WhataRock and McGrain like this.
  3. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Update to the above based on another article. D&L's application was for an injunction to prevent Opetaia from signing with another promoter. Because it's been dismissed, Opetaia is free to do so. The substantive issue of whether a breach of contract has occurred would be for D&L Events to pursue through the courts if they feel that's the case. The press release above indicates that they will but it would be a matter for them to make application to the court & proceed from there. Irrespective of how that plays out, Opetaia appears free to sign with another promoter & continue his boxing career. So long as they can collect sanctioning fees, the IBF should be happy with that. The short version is "and STILL...".

WhataRock likes this.
  4. Steve Austin

Steve Austin Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2023
    Was reading last week in the Murdoch press that it mentioned Jai was returning to the ring next month in Melbourne.
    I heard that maybe No Limit are doing a show next month...in Melbourne.
    Gawd, really hope he doesnt sign with No Limit

5. KelandBeave

KelandBeave Fab 4 Full Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Why do you keep referencing the Murdoch press??? do u have an agenda?

6. Steve Austin

Steve Austin Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2023
    No agenda.
    I read boxing news from a variety of online publications
    What would you prefer I refer to it as?

7. AntonioMartin1

AntonioMartin1 Jeanette Full Member

Jan 23, 2022
    I know a few things about Australia: Olivia, Evonne Googalong, Kylie Minogue, Men at Work, Paul Hogan, Luc Longley, Michelle Timms (ahh Timmie, how we love you here in Phoenix!), Sandy Brondello, the Australian Open, Kangaroos, Koalas, Boomerangs, Lionel Rose, Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu, Johnny Famechon, Qantas, Ansett (and Bob Ansett, I wrote his Wikipedia article), Coles, Hungry Jack's and Bunnings.

Apart from Tim, how is Australian boxing nowadays? Are national titles still a major thing there?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  8. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I assume you know why they call it hungry jack's. I mean even if you didn't it's pretty obvious why, anyway.

9. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Good ol Smelly Cracks.

10. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    Well, from what I learned it was called that when Burger King bought the company, and BK decided that since you guys are more familiar with that name they should keep it named that, As far as the origins of the name......Im not sure....:)

Oh, and being a bit of a Beauty Contests connoisseur too,...I also know Jennifer Hawkins!

WhataRock likes this.
  11. Komaster

Sep 20, 2010
    .....in 1966, an American immigrant registered the 'Burger King' trademark which had already expanded to 17 locations across the country. Unable to buy the trademark, Cowin and Burger King moved ahead with the name “Hungry Jack's” instead. The first Hungry Jack's would open on April 18th, 1971.

12. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    Oooohh ok now that makes sense now!

Thanks for that info!

13. Komaster

Sep 20, 2010
    you are now an even more sophisticated woman after knowing this information :)

14. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Terzievski vs Django II this weekend.

Big crossroads fight for both lads.

MidniteProwler and Sandman_ like this.
  15. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Good fight. I need to pick correctly to make up some ground in the tipping comp. I'm leaning towards Django doing the business again notwithstanding that he's fighting away. Then again, you can't count on a Queenslander. Quite the conundrum.

Just noticed it's for the Commonwealth H/W title in addition to Australian & Australasian versions. A nice achievement for the winner & a pathway to a bigger payday.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023