Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Gallen Hoppa on PPV typical BS dragging boxing through the mud the commentary team will be embarrassing.

red_roo likes this.
  2. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    They should get Dylan Napa in the dressing rooms to watch the guys warm up with a bit of shadow boxing.

3. KelandBeave

KelandBeave Fab 4 Full Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Although Kel Brook was slightly disappointing against Zerafa, he'd be more prepared against Horn and id back him to win.

red_roo and MidniteProwler like this.
  4. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Call him big papa

MidniteProwler likes this.
  5. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    A full review of Boxing Aust Am Program has seen it commit to Canberra as it launches a new program aimed at identifying the next generation of Olympic and CMW Champions.
    Former World World Title Challenger and 04 Olympian Jamie Pittman is now in his first month as Boxing Aust Nat futures coach. Jamie will oversee a nation wide program targeting the next generation and implementing a youth and junior talent identification program.
    Boxing Aus CEO Josh O ' Brien '' Prior we really only picked up athletes when they were ready at senior level and didn't put a lot of investment into them before that . Hopefully it will end up giving us a decent pool of athletes to pick from and when they come through senior representation , they will be be quite handy already.
    This sounds promising and lets hope it puts Aust boxing back on the world map where it belongs.
    Clay Waterman Bronze Medalist CMW.
    https://www.beaudeserttimes.com.au/story/5844584/clay-waterman-documentary-to-air-on-nitv/?cs=2411

red_roo and Sandman_ like this.
  6. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    Will Tomlinson first Wild Card Promotion in Melb March 23 looks like it will be a success .
    2016 Olympian MW Daniel Lewis is making his long awaited pro debut.
    2018 Olympian CW Jason Whately is having his 3rd pro fight.
    SMW Blake Wells is having his first pro bout in nearly 3 yrs. Wells is best remembered when he created headlines in 2015 as Am when he floored Mundine in sparring as he was preparing for Charles Hatley.
    Bomber Wells at his pro debut.
    This content is protected

One of Aust hardest hitting boxers ever.

7. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    what happened to David Toussaint

red_roo likes this.
  8. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Had some neurological issues & gave it away for health reasons.

red_roo, StiffJab and POTUS like this.
  9. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Wow.

red_roo likes this.
  10. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    Aus Boxing Update.
    * Tim Tszyu is now fighting Englishman Denton Vassell on Feb 8.
    * TJ Doherty retain his IBF Title with a 11 rd stoppage over Japan Royohei Takashi.
    * Lucas Browne 3 yrs later finally gets recognition for his WBA Belt.
    * George Kambosos Jr a shutout dec win over Filipino Ray Perez.
    Kambosos is now keeping a eye on the Feb 2 matchup between Richard Commey and Isa Chaniev for vacant IBF Title. He wants the winner with a passion.
    " There already has been past talk about me and Chaniev fighting. I would love to have that fight . If he wins the belt , if Commey wins the title, which i think he is the fav. I think he will get the title. I will have to fight him next if he wants to defend it against me straightaway , lets do it. I do it whenever he wants to do it. "
    The other fighter on Kambosos radar is Anthony Crolla. '' Bring them all on. These are the guys you need to fight if you want to continue to prove yourself. I've had my eyes for long time on Crolla. I love that fight. I would love to dance with him in his backyard. "

11. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm a little underwhelmed with Tszyu's next opponent I have to say.

Yes, he's a former Cth champ but since 2012 he's lost as many as he's won.

Tszyu's last two fights have ended in the first & this could as well. It's really not good enough.

Tszyu is 24 & needs to push on with his career by facing higher caliber opposition.

The word is 5 guys pulled out on him but all that indicates is that his potential opponents aren't being offered enough money to face him.

I think Tszyu's team needs to link with a promoter who can get him the fights he needs to develop his career properly.

Duco look the best option in Australia. They have a good relationship with Matchroom in the UK & Top Rank in the US.

In addition to more meaningful fights, Tszyu should consider doing some sparring with the likes of Jeff Horn & Dennis Hogan to get a better idea what it's going to be like at the pointy end of the sport. If Horn lands a fight with Kell Brook, Tszyu would make a good sparring partner.

If he's not getting decent fights, the least he could do is get some decent sparring.

Staying a free agent has been okay up to this point but if Tszyu wants better quality opponents from here on in someone is going to have to pay for them & that someone will want a return on investment.

red_roo and juppity like this.
  12. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    I really want to support Aust Boxing but apart from the Tapia vs Copland its a dud card Feb 8 .With just over two weeks to go i doubt Damien Hooper and Willis Meehan will be fighting anybody with a pulse.
    What a waste of talent is Hooper so far. Marcus Browne who won the WBA LHW Title on the weekend Hooper beat at the 2012 London Olympic's.
    This Sun on Fox 503 12 to 3 pm Keith Thurman vs Jose Lopez. The main undercard fight is unbeaten HW contender Adam Kownacki vs former world title challenger Gerald Washington.
    This fight on Epicentre Feb 22 a helluva clash between two world rated Aust LHW.

13. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    Yeah, if you're a boxing fan, the fights of interest are Tszyu, Hooper & Meehan.

Two of the three aren't matched up & the one that is has been matched disappointingly.

Foxtel is gouging the small number of loyal Australian boxing fans by making it PPV & serving up rubbish.

Sick of paying for a sports package & then having to pay again for a show like this.

red_roo and juppity like this.
  14. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    *The Gallen vs Hopate Feb 8 is $ 50 and a blatant rip off. Na i'll save my money for a legitimate Champ Rob Whittaker UFC 234 Melb Feb 10 with the exciting Adesanya vs the Spider main support and other legitimate MMA matches. $ 55 much better value.
    *This bout is what Aust Boxing needs more of. Zac Dunn WBO no 8 SMW is fighting German Patrick Rokohl WBO no 13 who is 16 - 0 12 ko on April 5 at the Melb Pavilion. Why couldn't Jai Opetia management bring Bilal Laggoune to Aust instead of defending his youth title in Belgium ?
    * Next Johnny Lewis Boxing Series confirmed at the Star April 28. Details to come soon.
    * I first saw Koasta Tszyu in 91 at the old Sydney Entertainment Centre in the finals of the AM World Champ.And he fought brilliantly toying with future WW Champ Vernon Forrest. I and the crowd knew we were witnessing future star.
    * The second time on his pro debut . It was a PPV at the old Sydney Football Stadium when Azumah Nelson fought his rematch with Jeff Fenech in Melb. Tszyu destroyed Darrell Hiles in 70 sec . The reason Tszyu started so fast was that he misunderstood Johnny Lewis instructions. Lewis had said win the first rd and Tszyu misinterpret this to mean win the fight in the first rd. Poor Hiles.
    * Great opportunity for the Monster. But the fight is in Santiago Chile. Gonzalez is 29 - 1 6 ko. I am worried about the hometown dec. The WBA Champ is Englishman Khalid Yafai.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Sandman_ likes this.
  15. Sandman_

Feb 20, 2009
    I'll likely pay the money & take the PPV. Junior Tszyu & Super Hooper are my two favourite Australian fighters so I want to see where they are up to.

The fact that Tszyu's fight, irrespective of opponent, is for the Commonwealth championship sweetens the deal for me. Hopefully Hooper & Meehan, who are yet to be matched up, aren't dropped off the promotion entirely.

That's big news on Andrew Moloney. I think he's probably our best professional fighter. I expect him to win & lock in a WBA title shot.

It looks like a few of our guys are going to have to deliver the goods on the road in the coming months to advance their careers (Moloney, Opetaia & possibly Jeff Horn). Always tough but bigger fights to follow if they get the job done.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    juppity likes this.