Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.
The Hornet fighting @ 168lbs ain't going to end well for Jeff if we are talking him facing the elite at S/Middle I'm afraid .
That's what I think , Jeff said he feels stronger there .
Here's how I currently rate the best Australian & Australian-based fighters. Based on a combination of current achievement & potential. I've left out some of the more seasoned types who if it was a strict P4P list would deserve a place.
1. TJ Doheny 21-0 (15) IBF Jr Feather champ - Would be good if we actually got to see him fight live on Australian tv occasionally. Particularly when there's a world title on the line.
2. Andrew Moloney 18-0 (11) Commonwealth Lt Bantam champ - Fights a WBA world title eliminator on 22 March in South America. Also a former Commonwealth games gold medalist. Best fighter in the country I think & our best chance of bringing home another world title.
3. Jeff Horn 19-1-1 (13) Former WBO Welter champ.
4. Dennis Hogan 28-1-1 (7) Current WBO mandatory & former WBA world title challenger.
5. George Kambosos Jr 16-0 (9) Hooked up with the Pacquiao camp & based overseas.
6. Jason Moloney 17-1 (14) Lost a split decision in an IBF bantamweight world title tilt last start.
7. Fly Guy Jai Opetaia 16-0 (13) Needs some intermediate level fights like the one he's taking next. Perhaps doesn't need them in the opponent's backyard though.
8. Tim The Toolman Tszyu 12-0 (10) Tremendous prospect. Keep him busy & keep him unbeaten. Ready for a step-up fight.
9. Bilal Akkawy 19-0-1 (15) Based overseas & hooked up with Canelo's team. Hopefully they can bring him on a bit.
10. Rohan Murdock 24-1 (17) Another fighter closing in on a world title eliminator. Fought a live opponent last start which helps.
11. Damien Hooper 14-1 (9) No better talent in Australian boxing than Super Hooper. He can't win fights sitting in a jail cell though.
12. Liam Paro 15-0 (11) How about matching him up with Darragh Foley?
13. Paul Fleming 26-0 (17)
14. Liam Wilson 3-0 (2) I really like the look of this guy. Newly crowned Australian Jr Lightweight champ.
15. Michael Zerafa 25-3 (14) Former Commonwealth Lt. Middleweight champ.
16. Joe Goodall 5-0 (4) Commonwealth games silver medalist, World Amateur champs bronze medalist.
17. Jason Whateley 2-0 (1) Commonwealth games silver medalist.
18. Willis Meehan 7-0 (6) If Paul Gallen is looking for more footballer fights, how about this bloke?
19. Nathaniel May 20-1 (11)
20. Brock Jarvis 15-0 (14)
21. Cameron Hammond 18-1 (9)
22. Jack Brubaker 15-2-1 (7)
22 March is looming as a significant day in Australian boxing with both Andrew Moloney & Jai Opetaia putting their unbeaten records on the line on opposite sides of the world. A couple of wins in those fights would suggest that Australian boxing is in the best shape it's been for a long time in terms of talent coming through.
These are the guys Foxtel should be showcasing to develop the sport in this country. Friday night's PPV featured just one of them.
Foxtel should be insisting that a minimum number of these guys feature on a promotion in order for it to be televised. Instead they're serving up PPVs with only one of them featured against an over-matched opponent. Surely they can do a bit better for us than that?
@Sandman_ Your ratings are flawed
How can you have Andrew Moloney above his brother Jason? Jason Moloney proved he is good in his last fight against a legit world champion.
Why are you so high on the scum bag Hooper? The dude isn't even talented he has a certified glass jaw and was almost stopped by Quinlan.
Would welcome your analysis of the Australian scene, MP. And that of anyone else for that matter.
I saw Andrew Moloney fight in Bendigo against a world class opponent & he looked the goods. He also won gold at the Commonwealth games when his brother didn't medal. It really comes down to judgement. I appreciate there are those who actually want to see runs on the board before giving credit. And you're right. Jason Moloney fought very well in his world title shot while Andrew is yet to get to the starting gate. If Andrew doesn't win his eliminator in South America on 22 March he may never get there. I rate on potential though (I said that in the second sentence of the post) so that's why I've got Andrew where he is. Based on what I saw of him in Bendigo, I think he'll win a world title.
I'm high on Hooper b/c of his obvious talent & potential. He beat Marcus Browne in the Olympics & Umar Salamov in the pros. Agree it looks like it's all slipping away though which is why I've moved him out of my top 10.
Has the FAB 4 ratings committee got together recently to compile a list?
Sorry I missed the potential part. I myself find it hard to truely rate a fighter until they have stepped up.
Not many to rate IMO Kambosos looks good. Jason Moloney is a legit contender.
Caparello is underrated he has at least proven he can hang with B level fighters and is for now the best light heavy in Australia.
Be interesting to see the numbers for that PPV on friday headlined by 2 of the biggest scumbags to ever play league, because I cant believe anybody would pay for that garbage card full of mismatches with low-mid fighters.
I think for the 1st time in a while there is a bit of depth to the top end talent in australia and hopefully we can have a few of the boys fighting for and winning world titles this year and then instead of that **** with Gallen v Hopoate we can get to watch some quality fights live and on tv here,even if it's watching them do the business overseas.
Mundine should move up to heavyweight and beat Paul Gallen.
Hooper just hasn't got it he proved it himself .
The Venue was a sellout, and i'm sure main event made a tidy dollar out of it as well.
My mates tell me the pub where they watched it was packed and when Gallen won the whole pub erupted with manic cheering.
The point being....... never under estimate the idiocy of casual boxing fans.
Personally, if that card was held in my backyard i would close the curtains.
It really is quite bizarre that people want to watch this garbage. Is it the circus side show effect of these events that attracts the casual bogans attentions ? And people pay $$$$$ for this. Unbelievable.
Defo agree. You don't make money off just hardcore fans.
The cashed up bogan is the best thing for this economy.