Barney Ross Vs Carmine Basilio

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Greb & Papke 707, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Welterweight, 15 rounds, who wins this battle between two ATGs?

2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I can see Basilio springing a relative upset here.

Greb & Papke 707 likes this.
  3. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Basillio

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No upset from Basilio if both fighters are factored in at their respective best. Ross decisions him with room to spare. He easily outboxes Carmen.

6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hi Robert, how's it going? Hope all's well with you.

Just interested to get your take on this and why you're picking Barney. Ross is the greater fighter p4p (although I think Ross is underrated generally) but I just wonder whether he'd be able to impose himself against the naturally bigger Basilio. Ross was obviously a slick boxer so maybe he just has the tools to frustrate Carmen but I do think size would be a factor here. What do you think?

Reinhardt and Greb & Papke 707 like this.
  7. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Interesting fight. My knee jerk reaction is to pick Basilio based on his greater size and strength but its not a comfortable pick. I could easily see Ross outboxing him.

8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    What's up my man. All is good. I hope with u also.
    Barney may be smaller but I'm giving him the edge
    A very small edge mind you. I think hes smart enough to outbox him while at the same time keeping Carmen honest enough when he plants his feet and rips into him when he has too using his superior speed and precision to come out on his fare share of these. Ross in a squeaker

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'm picking Basilio. Sure, Ross was the better fighter but he was smaller and IMO at a style disadvantage. Ross fought a number of pressure fighters in his career; Garcia, Petrolle & Armstrong being the best of them, but none were as big as Basilio and Armstrong, who while leagues better than Basilio, was the closest in style and dished out a horrendous beating on Ross. I tend to think Ross was a little past his peak but still had a lot to give.

Basilio may not be as good as Armstrong but he's just as determined, just as bullish and is gonna force Ross to work up close just as much, and I really can't see Ross having the firepower to keep Basilio off him. Ross would do better at making himself less hittable and keeping himself out of range. He'd also probably have a bit more success at making space for his punches but I think the result of a loss stays the same.

Basilio close decision for me.