Barry Hearn...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    How good of a boxing promoter was he in his day?

We all know that overall he is one of the best promoters you will get (Darts, Boxing, Fishing - he's made them all work big time).

But what memorable shows & fights did he put on, and how do they compare to Eddie's success?

Is Eddie way ahead in terms of revenue he's brought in/bigger profile fights etc than his old man or not?

2. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    am not sure anyone could fail as a promoter at any sport if Sky is your backer!!

3. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Don't forget snooker. He helped make that game have the star status it had in the 80's and early 90's. In addition he was Steve Davis' manager, which helped give him the capital to go on to all the other things. Oh, and he is a big share holder in the PDC along with the likes of Phil Taylor, Bristow and all. He was also Chairman at Leyton Orient, and gave them modest success and helped modernise the ground in his time there.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  4. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    It all went downhill for Barry in boxing after the Eubank world tour debacle.

The darts does exceptionally well however and I was hoping his son would listen to him as regards to terrestrial TV deals.

5. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    He's still pulling the strings in boxing now. Just behind the scenes. Interestingly Eddie is taking a backwards step and promoting frank smith to do some of his work so maybe now Eddie will become the background guy

lawslaw and Brixton Bomber like this.
  6. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    You still need to the fighters and to put on good shows. The Network helps but Sky will ditch you if you don't produce the goods.

lawslaw and Brixton Bomber like this.
  7. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Yeah, he took Darts to a new stratosphere, IMHO. How come it's on terrestrial and not Sky nowadays?

Agreed about Snooker. Fair play to Barry, he was earning money when you could do some really big things with it.

lawslaw likes this.
  8. bladesman

May 31, 2015
    The darts is still on sky. and fta. Its that popular. Lots on itv 4 and the one tournament on bbc and yet enough to keep sky happy too.

9. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Sure PDC was on BBC2 last weekend?

10. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Just like his son Hearn is clearly a big sports fan and oozes enthusiasm. Yes he wants to make wodgers of cash but he's very good at what he does.

moog, lawslaw, Howitzer1888 and 2 others like this.
  11. bladesman

May 31, 2015
    Yes. Re read my post.

12. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Darts has become huge under Hearn's guidance. I read somewhere it is the second most watched sport on Sky after football. The money involved in major darts tournaments now is stratospheric.

Brixton Bomber, Howitzer1888 and moog like this.
  13. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    BBC only have the rights to that one tournament, it's not a major tournament either and top players aren't really that bothered about it. Sky exclusively show all majors throughout the year.

14. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    I saw Barney in it and thought "hang on a sec!". Was weird not seeing him on Sky.

15. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Basically that particular tournament was a 'crossover' and started I believe last year and is meant to include the best players from the BDO and the best from the PDC.

However after the first year they basically realised none of the BDO players were good enough to compete and/or they didn't have the crowd pulling 'star appeal', so this year it appeared to be all PDC players.