Bas Rutten training Kimbo! (video)

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by boxingcar, Jun 17, 2007.

1. oblate

oblate Active Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2004
    i hope ray knocks him out.

2. barneyrub

barneyrub Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Big deal, 2 weeks training. So if Audley Harrison got 2 weeks training with Emmanuel Steward would it make any difference in a fight? No its too little too late, it will all go out the window when hit.
    It takes a long time to learn new things, experience and putting them into practice.
    They are going crazy over on nuthugger central [sherdog], they all hated kimbo but as soon as Bas turns up they love kimbo lol.
    Anyway, Kimbo is 31 and has never trained to a level of fitness before, you dont build stamina in such a short time when you had none before.
    Remember, Tyson looked good in training before the Mcbride fight, in shape and working good in public training sessions, said he felt great but had no stamina in the fight.

3. boxingcar

boxingcar Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Personally I'm still rooting for Mercer!

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I want Mercer to KO him which im sure he will.All KImbo does it take away from all that is legitimate about combat sports.If he wants to be a fighter turn pro and do it for real.Backyard brawls with crack and smack heads on internet forums isnt the way to do it.

5. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Bas is going to teach him some good ****. Already we can see from the video how versatile his approach is becoming. However I've always thought Kimbo is quite slow and musclebound. I want Mercer to land something horrible.

6. theunderdog

theunderdog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2006
    in slice-vs mercer, kimbo should pray he lands 4 or 5 of his power punches before mercer lands one of his

7. Koa

Koa Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I didn't see much from Kimbo at all. What you need to see is the sparring work. He comes foward throws a cross left hook then a knee, that tells me nothing.

I see him on the ground banging a bag, that tells me maybe he's working on one aspect of gnp. Was he a wrestler?

Well, if he was and Mercer isn't training to counter gnp and takedowns, this will be an easy fight for Kimbo to win as all he has to do is take him down and punch a guy on the ground who has no clue as to how to deal with fighting in that situation.. Some training in ground and pound, wrestling background is huge over someone who is purely relying on fighting on their feet..

If Kimbo fights standing up, he's done.. If he takes Mercer to the ground, which I expect he will try to have a prayer in this fight, he will win.. Mark my words.

8. SweetScienceFan

SweetScienceFan Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    Kimbo will win by ground and pound. He has not only been training for 2 weeks. He has been training for months and has came up to train with Bas Rutten just recently. I am sure that his training is far above anything that Mercer is doing now. I can assure you that Kimbo is good enough with his hands to get close enough to Mercer to get him down. Then he will pound him.

9. Donut62

Donut62 Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2006
    I have a feeling Mercer is in this for a paycheck and is going to get his **** pounded by Kimbo.

10. boxingcar

boxingcar Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Yes , but here's the thing..
    if Kimbo's pride is stronger...in other words , if Kimbo can't help himself and feels forced to try to KO mercer and to beat the guy at his own game (boxing)....

Then Mercer has a realistic chance to KO Kimbo and beat Him that way..

Or Kimbo , just stick to a simple and basic gameplan , and follow some solid instructions , keep Mercer on the ground...g&p him , win by TKO or UD.

11. SweetScienceFan

May 11, 2007
    Mercer did give one funny interview about this fight though. When the man asked him what Kimbo brings into this fight that nobody else Mercer fought has brought: Mercer replied "Ugliness".

12. SweetScienceFan

May 11, 2007
    I don't think that Kimbo is stupid. I have seen him go for takedowns in two of his fights that are only stand up rules. So I think that if he gets hit his instincts will take over and he will go for a takedown right away. Mercer seems so weak in the legs these days that he is going to be an easy target for takedowns. Especially since his introduction into K-1 when he had his legs kicked to death.

13. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Mercer = 44
    Kimbo = 33

14. SweetScienceFan

May 11, 2007
    And that doesn't begin to explain the difference in wear and tear on the the body. While Kimbo does some back yard fights, outside of the Gannon fight he doesn't take any sort of beating. Mercer has been getting pounded on for years. Not only in his fights where his great chin is his best defense, but also all of the sparring that he has done over the years.