Beating a jabber.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by VG_Addict, Sep 28, 2015.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Say you're fighting a guy with a great jab. What do you do to beat him?

2. AHussain

AHussain Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I am not a expert IMO best way would be to get inside dodge and weave and counter is best for jabbers. Jabbers like to keep distance so best thing is to close the distance and get close

3. Console Command

Console Command Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2014
    out-jab him or get Inside and stick on him, if he can't get distance he won't be able to be effective with his jab.

4. James Townes

James Townes Member Full Member

Aug 11, 2015
    If you just saw the Golovkin vs Lemieux fight.. you saw a left jab control the fight... most boxing gurus say you have to jab with a jabber... you might not out jab him, but you will disrupt his timing, also, using your righthand to deflect the left jab then counter quickly, move and change distance and angles ... Not like Lemieux, who just walked straight into it ... When you watch the fight, watch the footwork of Golovkin, how he controls the centerline, and how Lemieux is moving his feet looking to set, he was doing unnecessary foot bouncing and pattering, he never could set ... while Golovkin would slide then step, not bouncing. No matter how hard a puncher you are, no matter how many knockouts you have, you have to understand that boxing is a science, not an alley fight... that's what happened to Lemieux... He he had no answer... Golovkin leaves opening, but you got to jab back once and awhile...change to southpaw, step on his toes, bull him, make it a brawl if you have to.. but don't just keep walking in:bbbto the jab...

rodney likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Beating a guy with a great jab in a short fight is not so easy to do. This becomes harder if the other fighter has greater speed and reach. If you have to respect his power, you are up the creek, but have some options.

A few ideas in no particular order.

1 ) You should raise your guard a bit. ( Duh )

2 ) Circle away from it

3 ) You can try to block the jab karate style and raise the glove up a bit then counter quickly.

4 ) A trick like quickly switching to southpaw in a clinch, and you might catch him off guard. Just don't step on his lead foot unpurpose :fire or do and you'll have a chance for a cheap, but seldom called a foul shot.

5 ) Get very low, and fight lower if you can do it well.

6 ) Try not to box. SLUG and swarm. Standing back with distance and you lose.

The old master likes this.
  6. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Well, nobody talked about the counter right hand. Canelo is a master in this movement. Jabing canelo is not a profitable business, unless you are mayweather and can counter the counter ofc.

fmnfb likes this.
  7. camtweee

camtweee Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2015
    throw the jab to pre occupy him and blind him then bob and weave inside and throw a few combinations. Easier said than done though i will admitt.

8. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    As a southpaw I step back and move to the right keeping my right foot on the outside of his and jab to his body every other beat and flick to the head on the half beat after

Another way is to shoulder roll their jab and move your right foot inside and swing your left in the same direction and see if they square up for a cross, if they do plant your weight and throw a left hand

Sway under there jab and throw hard lead hooks to there body, works best if they jab then stiff arm. After that you should be in and able to deal someone damage

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Being a tall guy with long arms my trainer always advised me to use this to my advantage, I turned out to be one of those annoying fighters that kept you on the end of a long probing jab, guys in the gym would get fed up sparring me.

Eventually I switched gym and had to spar this skinny 6’7 Somalian guy and got given a taste of my own medicine, I ended up with a very sore nose after that sparring session

10. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Multiple jabs!!!

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Then the straight right. I think that's a Futch classic formula (forgive me if I'm wrong).

12. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    To take away his jab, use the straight right to the heart. As he jabs, you throw your right hand, it is a natural counter. It is a good punch to get you inside if you know how to step in with a right hand; he can't hit you with his right until his left comes back.
    A couple hard shots to the heart and he will either hesitate to jab or start dropping his arm to protect his body; that opens up your right hand over the top.

13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Slip to the outside and step in, with your own jab preferably.

Or if you have a decent jab yourself, answer his one jab with two of yours. At least to start, then feint with it some to keep him guessing when you’re really throwing it.

Another tactic I like is to follow his jab back. Guy I used to spar with did it to me and it annoyed the heck out of me — I’d jab (southpaw) and whether I landed or not he’d time his step to come forward as my right hand was coming back. He was a bit smaller, not a puncher at all but WAY more experienced (like 100 amateur fights, a few regional titles) and his timing of it was perfect ... I’d jab and now that sonofagun is right on top of me throwing combos and stepping around me and then I’d have to reset. It was great learning.