(Beginner) How's my weekly routine?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by alikhal02, Jul 23, 2015.

1. alikhal02

alikhal02 New Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I just started boxing at a local gym 3 weeks ago and I was looking for feedback on my training routine. I've been lifting the last 3 years so I have a good strength base but I want to start taking boxing more seriously and hopefully get in a fight in 8-12 months.

Monday - Plyometrics & Strength Training(morning)/Boxing Conditioning (evening)

Tuesday - Boxing skill specific training

Wednesday Hill Sprints(Morning) / Boxing basic drills at home(Evening)

Thursday - Boxing Skill specific training

Friday - Plyos & Strength Training(Morning) / Boxing Conditioning(evening)

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - 5k jog (morning) / Boxing Skill specific training(evening)

is this over training? I came in sort of out shape so the boxing conditioning days have been really tough on me but I feel my endurance getting better everyday.

A big dilemma I'm having is trying to improve my power and speed along with my endurance. I read in a book that I would need to reduce the interval training to get the most out of my plyometric routine and then once the program is over I can do more interval training.

I feel like I'm trying too much at once so if anyone can give me any feedback I would appreciate it!

2. Gaboxing

Gaboxing New Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I'm no expert, but you sound like you are in good shape, you can run 5ks so you have good cardio. If I were you, I would give priority to perfecting my Boxing technique, so boxing training is where you should put most of your energy for now.

Plyos, running, etc, you can do, but don't push yourself to the limit here for now, just do about 50-70% of what you can do with what leftover energy you have from Boxing training. Btw, I seriously recommend swimming, great cardio, no impact, very complete exercise that doesn't isolates muscles which is great for boxing, and the movements have some resemblance to boxing as well.

In the power and speed thing, if you keep training that will come by itself. One thing that helped me get faster was closing the gap between my punches. Meaning that, if I wanted to throw a 1-2, I threw the cross as soon as the jab landed. This makes you faster in combination, but not necessarily makes individual punches faster. For individual punches, try to keep you arm relaxed and fast when you throw punches, and tense in the point of impact, this will also help you snap your punches and punch harder, while using less energy. Learning how to really put your whole body into the punches will peak your power, try punching slowly and doing the movement to perfection, slow and steady you build some great fundamentals. Once you have more experience, you should try using variation in the speed and power of your punches, no matter how fast you are, or how hard you hit, if you have only one gear, you will be predictable, and easy to time.

I remember there was a time I was trainning too much, I was actually getting cold like symptoms occassionally, which affected my training negatively. My diet wasn't the best though, so that was definitely a factor. Some multis, probiotics, eating better, and hot showers right away after trainning were my solution to this issue.

3. alikhal02

Jul 15, 2015
    Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm in pretty good shape with a spot on diet but I don't think I'm anywhere near fighting shape. I always wanted to incorporate swimming into my routine so I will definitely give that a try.

Thanks for the punching tips. I agree with focusing on my technique and letting the rest come to me without overworking myself. I guess I'm just over thinking things too much. Do you think plyometrics interfere with interval training? My coach wants me to start sparring in a few weeks and although I'm making good progress I want to be able to last in the ring.

4. Gaboxing

Aug 27, 2014
    I don't know if plyo and interval training interfere with each other, they both should help you build explosiveness which is great for boxing, but if you have to pick one, I'd pick interval training, it helps you get prepared for the change of pace of a fight, and it's great cardio. I seriously don't know if they affect each other though, you should get another opinion on that.

Don't worry too much about your first time sparring, your trainer won't put you in any danger, he knows it's your first time, so he will probably put you against someone with experience that can control himself, and won't take advantage if you get too tired. Even if you are in great shape, the key to not getting tired in sparring is avoid being too tense, which can be hard the first few times you spar, and pacing yourself. First time I sparred, I was gassed out by the middle of the first round, and I wasn't able to throw those flashy combinations, and use that fancy footwork and defensive movement I was doing in training. This is prety common, which is why you shouldn't put too much thought into your first time, if you do well then great, if you don't then that's normal, specially if they put you against an experienced fighter. The more you do it, the better you'll get, until eventually, everything will come naturally to you.

5. alikhal02

Jul 15, 2015
    Yeah I think I'm gonna do the plyos for a few months and then I'm gonna shift my focus to more interval training. And thanks for the sparring tips I'll remember them!

6. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    If you've been lifting for the last 3 years then you're most likely a little slow because of that. After about another month or two of training you should see your speed increase due to the decreased weight training. I wouldn't try focusing on any one thing like speed or power because that will come naturally in time. But do use the bags for what they're for ex. heavy bag for power, double end bag for speed, and speed bag for coordination.

7. Gaboxing

Aug 27, 2014
    You're welcome, I'm glad I could be of any help. Good luck, I hope you keep progressing and enjoying boxing!

8. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Just because somebody lifts weights, it doesn't automatically mean they may be slower than anyone else. If anything they're more likely to be faster.

Or he could lift weights to increase his speed... just sayin'.

9. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Question is why are you attempting to cram in so much so soon?

Training is all about addressing and improving upon your weaknesses. Just slapping together a whole load of exercises and laying out a daily plan based on what other people do is pointless.

Find your weaknesses and build your training on them.

10. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    That's why I said most likely.

11. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Touché, old chap.

12. alikhal02

Jul 15, 2015

Yea you're right. I'm 22 now and I'm actually more athletic and quicker then I was in highschool but my endurance suffered pretty bad with all the muscle gain. At my best I could run a 10k regularly at around 38 minutes and I'm trying to get my cardio back up to that.

My coach said the same thing about letting it come naturally. I'll see how things go for another few weeks and if I get too tired I'll remove the plyos

13. alikhal02

Jul 15, 2015

I get what you're saying. I guess since I'm a beginner technique is what I should focus on the most. For now what do you think I should cut out?

14. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I think you should be talking to your coach and not us if he's a serious coach. He'll know whats best for you as he sees you on a daily basis, not us.

Conditioning is something you spend more time on in the beginning, then it becomes more about technique and situation drills.

15. alikhal02

Jul 15, 2015
    Thanks. Ya we talk a bit. I stay after the classes for another hour just working on the basics we learned in the class. I think I'm just gonna keep the routine going and update you guys with my progress.