Beginner training to fight

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Red109, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Red109

Red109 New Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Alright! I figure I should do this sort of thing to keep myself on track, and encourage myself even further to keep a good consistency. Here I'll be outlining my daily exercises, starting with yesterdays training. First; a little bit of preface.

Height: 5'8
    Weight: 135 lbs

Training (boxing): 4 days a week, currently. Monday through Thursday. Around an hour to an hour and a half.

Training (other): Running, varied miles. Sunday-Friday.

About me: I've been boxing for around a month and a half. This was essentially the first time I had ever really worked out, so I'm starting out with no athletic experience whatsoever. Before starting boxing, I could run a mile in around 12 minutes, and was generally very unhealthy. Since then I've decreased the mile to around 9:30-10 minutes per mile and eat much more healthy. No more junk. So, essentially a total 180 from how I previous lived. I am sixteen years old.

Goals: Right now I really, really need some defensive work. Been training that recently, and I believe that is my main setback. Currently I am running to complete a 10k in eight weeks, which is more of a personal goal. I mix 30 second sprints periodically throughout my running.

Wednesday (Yesterdays training)
    -Went to gym, ran tread mill for 2.5 miles. Completed this in around 23 minutes. Waiting a couple minutes, drank some water, cooled down, then started boxing training.

-6 minutes jump rope
    -6 minutes shadow boxing (3 minutes of this bob and weave rope)
    -3 round left jab heavy bag
    -3 round squats
    -3 round right jab heavy bag
    -3 round bicycle crunches
    -3 round combination punches
    -3 round pushups
    -2 round break
    -3 round swinging bag, uppercuts and hooks
    -3 round heavy bag left jab
    -3 round heavy bag right jab
    -3 round left/right combinations heavy bag
    -3 round hooks only to body of the heavy bag
    -2 round break
    -3 round medium/heavy sparring with the coach

End

(Rounds: 1:05 minutes)

If anyone has any exercise tips/suggestions for things outside of the actual boxing training time, I would love to hear them. Really trying to push myself as hard as possible.

(Edit, figured out what I was forgetting.)

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    What about double end bag and speed bag?

3. Red109

Oct 12, 2015
    My coach doesn't really care for speed bags, he doesn't find any particular use to them. No double end today, there was something else that we did but for the life of me I can't remember. Will edit it in if I can.

4. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Also, why does your coach have you work just 1 punch for 3 rounds and why are rounds only 1:05 and not the full 3 minutes?

5. Red109

Oct 12, 2015
    It depends on the day for the rounds. Sometimes he prefers to do a lot of different things and tunes the rounds down, others he will do much longer rounds and focus on certain things. The different punches also are a varied thing as well. He is a firm believer in the "Practice the same thing over and over and over again" sort of mentality.

I'm pretty positive this is because I've only been doing this for a month and am still pretty rookie with my form/punching. Get the building blocks down before getting more technical sort of thing. And after each short round he gives a quick instruction on what I was doing wrong before continuing right on.

6. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Yeah you're probably right, it' because you're a beginner.

7. Red109

Oct 12, 2015
    Ironically, I broke my right hand 2nd metacarpal two weeks back, will be resumed in a couple weeks.

8. Red109

Oct 12, 2015
    Well, the hand took much longer to recover than thought. About 3 months. I've been training hard for about a month and have markedly improved.

Am going to start logging next Monday, with a completely new routine. Current weight - 131 lb.