Being overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by iksrtfo, Jun 20, 2007.

1. iksrtfo

iksrtfo Jedi Knight of Poon Full Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I was sparring to the body last night. I was going against a guy who was 30 lbs more than me.He kept just firing punches and not really boxing.
    He would just attack and there was no time to counter punch because he did not stop throwing punches. I stood there and blocked about 90% of them but was being overwhelmed. Before I got gased I would stay busy and hit him with an over hand right in the shoulder that would knock him back. This was keeping him at bay. What should I do when he attacks like that? Block and move out? Then wait till he gases?

2. knockout

knockout Make my day Full Member

Feb 18, 2007
    do the "ROPE A DOPE"

3. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    I say move a bit more, clinch a bit more, use the uppercut when counterpunching more, he should gas at some point if he isn't Joe Frazier.

4. BRICKS

BRICKS the Pride of the Tribe Full Member

Nov 8, 2005
    clinch, fire the uppercut, and go to the body!

5. Dennis

Dennis Gym Rat Full Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Let him punch himself out by blocking his shots, speed up the process by letting him miss and throwing jabs to the body and chest, occasionally counter with a hook to the liver. When he gets tired, start attacking in waves, go in..attack..step out.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley Fat Bastard Full Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Interlock one of his arms with your own around the outside or both, then bang away at the back of his rib... that should de-pressurise him a bit.
    Jam back his body hooks with your elbow, by deliberately jutting those elbows into his thumb. If he's crouching to do body shots, retract to draw it further then slap down hard and supress his arm to divert his direction, causing a good disruption to his rythm.
    Those tricks should give him a real run for his money.

7. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Every time a guy punches he is open. It is a risk versus reward scenario so we have to punch. If a guy is overwhelming you, you have to time those openings.

I suggest watching Floyd Mayweather versus Jesus Chavez. Floyd maintained something like a 40 to 50 percent clip while reducing Chavez to landing 10 percent!

A good defence to fend off the offensive attack and well placed shots to score for yourself.

Punchoutput is matched and even surpassed by workrate!

8. Pugsley

Sep 2, 2005
    When you say output versus workrate, do you mean that the quantity of punches you throw (If even at moderate strength) can overcome an opponent who is throwing less quantity but more powerful punches?

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Pugilistic Pupil Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I would guess punch out put is only punches, work rate is defence, movement and punches.

10. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Punch output is how many punches you are letting off and workrate is your entire body of movement i.e. footmovement, head movement, clinching, punching etc

Workrate can neutralise punch output in numerous ways. Two examples are:
    1) Mayweather v Chavez - Floyd decides to more or less stand close to Chavez thus he used his tools to make his work ineffective. Nothing really landed for Chavez while he landed at a very high clip.
    2) Taylor v Ouma - Taylor was taming Ouma with his movement and heavy blows. Taylor was either moving or letting heavy shots go so Ouma couldn't get his shots off thus couldn't fire off his usual 100 a round.

11. Pugsley

Sep 2, 2005
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

12. Clearly Cool

Clearly Cool Active Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
    In my limited knowledge I would say concentrate moving out of his punching range but also keeping a tight guard, and that might give you more time for counter opportunites. Hard counters might discourage him and by being defensive you will more likely make him tire before he does too much damage.

If you try punch with him your fighting his fight and risk either gassing or getting hurt. I went back and re-read your post and realised I just repeated what you said.

13. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    try to keep the distance. if he gets to close clinch push away jab. keep blocking he'll get tired and countering will become easier eventually