Bellew-Makabu.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Jan 2, 2018.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I just rewatched the Bellew-Makabu fight. I'm still surprised Bellew pulled off the win. But, how did he manage to win? Was it because he was bigger than Makabu? Did he win because he had more experience? Or did Makabu just get exposed?

2. Kapparino

Kapparino EDDIE HEARN PROTECTION UNIT Full Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Hearns paid Makuba off.

3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Exposed...who had he beaten?

He was knocked out in his very first fight...

Birmingham likes this.
  4. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    And he got knocked out cold by Bellew, who isn't known as a puncher. I think Makabu has a weak chin.

Maybe it's good he was KOed by Bellew. He could have gotten badly hurt against the top guys in the CW division.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I hate bellew but i can’t think of a better world title win.

Beez likes this.
  6. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Mchunu and Kucher

PaddyGarcia likes this.
  7. N17

N17 Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm not a Bellew fan, far from it.

So after Bellew went over in the first I was just waiting for him to get KTFO then he pulled off that amazing finish.

You can only give Bellew huge praise for that performance, you can't say now Makabu was "exposed", "a hype job" or was "overrated", Makabu was the bookies favourite and the favourite of most on here.

The fact is Bellew knocked him spark out to win a world title, it was a great performance.

Beez, Guy Nicho, moog and 4 others like this.
  8. lepinthehood

lepinthehood Justice Has been Served. Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    it was a good win, makabu might be small as a cw, but hes sharp and powerful, dangerous fighter. he was very much the favourite,

moog and N17 like this.
  9. moog

moog Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    It was a terrific win by Bellew who as rightly mentioned was the underdog going in. Alot of people slate Bellew because they don't like him when as a ehole his career deserves alot of praise. Look how early on he was fighting at British then world level, look how he came back of a long lay off to take Masternek fight when most wouldn't have in his situation. And then look at fact he beat Mukabu at CW and David Haye at HW.

redone likes this.
  10. Farmboxer

Farmboxer Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    What happened to Fury/Bellew? Instead Fury/Briggs...............

11. redone

redone New Member Full Member

Aug 5, 2017
    One of my favourite fights this, the atmosphere that night was amazing

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It's a good win. Makabu is a solid fighter

13. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    It was a great win, great fight, great atmosphere and a great story. Makubu is not as good as the current cruisers however he was still a dangerous opponent.

Scyson and ryanm8655 like this.
  14. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    It was a good win and a scary KO from what I remember.

Fighting in his home town for the belt he always wanted in his favourite team's stadium, I'm not Bellew's biggest fan but I was happy for him and impressed with how he got up and did that

It's a shame he never really challenged the top cruiserweights but he's at that stage where he's just going for the money fights which you can understand

moog likes this.
  15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Good win that was a bit overstated in hindsight. Makabu,s record suggests he wasn,t quite as good as what bellew made him out to be. Couple of pretty decent wins he,s got...but its nothing above bellews level. Masturnurk beat a lot of the guys makabu beat. But bellew deserves a lot of credit in not only coming back from what at one point looked like a defeat but also getting a decent enough name out of there in three. I think bellews played pretty smart with most of his opponents tho. He bigs them up when the reality is hes more than capable of beating them. He's on a pretty decent run since Stevenson tbf.

DJN16 and ryanm8655 like this.