Bellew v AJ

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by pne buz, May 1, 2017.

1. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Bad fight, I'm not even sure the casuals would be as interested as you think in this

Get AJ in with Pulev, Parker, Ortiz, or Wilder next

Even wait till all has died down with Povetkin and get him on the phone for a fight

Took AJ since 2013 to have a meaningful fight, lets not back track and sign to fight Bellew. I do generally like Bellew and I backed him against Haye but AJ would enjoy a huge size advantage and most of Bellews shots would bounce off AJ if he tucked up with a nice tight guard

Its not like AJ has been "learning on the job either", he's had accolades in the Ams since 2009 and a record of 40-3 I think he's been matched clever enough, he's hyped like some sort of Greek god so lets not mollycoddle him in matchmaking anymore, he's only had 19fights yes but still if he's as good as his team & his fans reckon go after the best in the div, even if the heavyweight div is not very strong in 2017 & this era in general there is better fights out there for AJ than tony bellew

2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Pointless thread. Bellew has stated loud and clear that he wants no part of AJ because he's too big and fast. Although he's talking a bit, I reckon his opinion of Wilder is the same.

I don't care what them judges scores were, we ALL know how skewed they can be and have seen plenty of examples of that this year already. Bellew was going very well in that fight before Haye's achilles went. To take his victory away is pathetic imo. Everyone including most on here, thought he'd get smashed very quickly.

He's a natural cruiserweight but at 6"3, he has also has the height and movement to mix it with the smaller heavyweights and that includes Parker imo.

He has a couple of fights left in his career, it makes no sense to step back down to cruiser to fight for much less money, especially when he has the opportunity to become heavyweight champion of the world. I think constantly being wrote off, fuels him.

zulander likes this.
  3. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    How do you even describe Bellew's career? When he was at light heavy we had to hear loads about how much he was killing himself and that's why he failed at world level.

Then he picks up the the most paper strap at CW you can get. I was really happy when he won that cruiserweight trinket though. I thought now he is going to be involved in some relevant, meaningful fights at CW world level with no excuses.

Then instead he decides to get in a circus fight with Haye. And on the back of beating one leg Haye we get to see another joke fight at HW.

4. carlingeight

May 15, 2016
    How can Bellew with a straight face say he can't face champions of a division because they are too big, and then have the gall to try and make a PPV fight in the same division. Only in boxing...

5. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Let be serious for a minute he beat a cripple at HW can't entertain a fight with Joshua. He's already said he doesn't want no part of this big man

6. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    There are far more lucrative fights to be made for AJ. I don't think the public would be that interested in it either.

Bellew should either move back to cruiserweight or take a gimme fight at heavyweight while he awaits the Haye rematch. He doesn't want to risk his golden ticket.

7. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The little spat he's had with Wilder in the flesh and on Twiter is all designed to start the hype rolling...
    I wouldn't mind betting Hearn has a minon watching forums and the web to see what fights are taking peoples interest.

I think Bellew is nailed on for a go at heavy, could see Hearn spending big to get Parker over and Wilder would probably fancy a shot at a small Heavy who's not really proven at the weight. That could be the warm up for AJ actually Wilder V Bellew - winner faces AJ. IF Bellew got past Wilder any wich way that would as good as legitimises that fight and the sky marketing machine would laugh all the way to the bank

8. RG1885

RG1885 Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Depends what Bellew wants more;

A - Provide even more money for his kids = AJ
    B - A World Title = Parker/Wilder

Not that B is any sort of guarantee he would win, to be honest i think Wilder would KO Bellew but he could give them both problems and if he avoids DWs huge shots he could well win.

If he fights AJ he would make it a massive event, he can sell a fight as well as anyone, however it is total non-event in the sense that it would only last as long as AJ wanted it to.

9. T_S_A_R

T_S_A_R Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2011
    The only way you sell Bellew vs AJ is if Bellew had beaten Wilder or Parker and you can sell it as some kind of Rocky story.

I think it's possible but a long shot he can beat Wilder as Wilder has no skills to speak of. Matchroom making Bellew vs Wilder this year sets AJ up for a megafight with the winner next year.

10. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I'm still scratching my head why anyone should take Bellew serious as hw. He beat a guy with one leg, even on one leg Haye was holding his own. lol.

CutThroatFade and lawslaw like this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Because fighters choose or duck other fighters all the time for a variety of reasons. They don't normally just come out and state it though, they might pretend to lose their pen or tell the other fighter to fight their mandatory first or some other ridiculous excuse we fans have to hear. I don't think Bellew can be criticised for saying (as a natural cruiserweight) that he wants no part of the biggest hitting heavyweight I've personally seen.

12. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Go and actually attempt to defend the title he won at Cruiserweight, against a decent opponent (even his mandatory before!) would be a start.

He's had a big money payday, now I want to see what he has at Cruiserweight.

13. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Bellew isn't a genuine heavyweight contender, not even close.
    Haye hasn't been a genuine heavyweight contender since 2012 either.

14. carlingeight

May 15, 2016
    I know mate. I just think this might be a step too far. Lots of other reasons you can kind of make an argument for, or at least there is enough uncertainty so boxers get away with it.

But saying a HW champ is too big for you while at the same time going for another HW fight on PPV ... that's proper 2+2=5 stuff.

Twentyman likes this.
  15. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    No matter how often Bellew says it he is no heavyweight. If you want to blame anyone, blame Haye.

Haye should never of taken the fight if he was injured.