Bellew v Ward?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Blue Manc, May 6, 2018.

1. Blue Manc

Blue Manc Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Don't understand why he was constantly dropping a retired fighter's name. They obviously know each other through making a film together so is that a fight that's gonna happen?

2. Jim Jeffries

Jim Jeffries Ring General banned Full Member

Feb 24, 2013
    He has nothing to offer Ward unless Eddie gets out the chequebook and pays Ward 5 million plus. Ward isn't a ppv or big ticket seller.

Ward i think would come back for instance if this was a ''WBA title'' Ruiz deal thing going on. If Joshua vacate the WBA then i'd like to see a proper WBA mandatory fight for the belt not Ward vs Bellew.

I think he'll fight either Parker or Dillian Whyte next then call it a day. Possibly Tyson Fury but i can't see it.

3. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Ward has said he wants to come back.

Bellew isn’t soft he’s out there for that PPV money. He’s named Fury, WBSS winner and Ward. All PPV’s.

4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Nailed on mate - it is simply about the easiest option for PPV Money.

Bellew is the new Toe

5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The reactions from the Sky commentary team and Bellew last night had me thinking that he had just beat the best Ali or Mayweather, not a crocked old has been simply going through the motions for piles of PPV money.

Will only change my opinion of Bummer Bellew if he gets in with the winner of Usyk v Gassiev or Wilder who is exactly the same weight as Bellew.

Sonny1 and DJN16 like this.
  6. hap

hap Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2015
    I'd imagine it would have to be Fury or Whyte. Bellew would have more chance of jackpotting Wilder with a single punch than winning a decision against Ward. Fury will have lost a step after the prolonged absence so he may be the best bet. Even diminished, Fury v Bellew would shift PPV buys like hot **** off a stick.

Alternatively, and as ridiculous as it sounds, Joshua is a more winnable fight than Ward. Wilder, Fury and AJ all represent more money, significantly so.

As for the high risk/low reward/huge credibility tourney finalists. Usyk has actually begun to look a touch vunerable in spots lately, but remains an absolute killer. Gassiev is all wrong for Bellew and he may just cause the upset against Usyk... all the while, no casual in Britain has any clue who either are or what they represent. Those two might actually be better than all of the heavyweights mentioned, at least in terms of raw skill.

TonyD407 likes this.
  7. Sturm

Sturm Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2017
    I think Tony has a great shot of beating ward at cruiserweight, can't see it doing big PPV numbers in the UK but maybe with some USA money it could be a big payday for both.

moog likes this.
  8. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Ward would beat Bellew

9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Bellew beats Ward at 200ib or over.

Ward is a tremendous fighter, fantastic ring IQ, his work on the inside is one of beauty. However, this is someone who started his career at 160, stepped up to 168 before finishing at 175. Whilst his skills carried through the divisions, his punch power hasn’t. His last proper finish above the tezzer height was Paul Smith.

His strengths on the inside would be diluted at 200ib+ Bellew is a strong lad and would chuck him about, bash him up and stop him.

moog likes this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Fury v Bellew seems unlikely due to Warren and Hearn being such bitter enemies, and the whole BT v SKY thing.

Those problems were be difficult enough for making a Fury-Joshua match, but could be overcome.
    But I don't think Fury-Bellew would be considered worth it.

11. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Your read my mind mate, had a lost in mind and just read it above lol. Had a m8 tell me last night Bellew would not win a round against Ward, wouldn't land a clean punch in fight. I could not disagree more, agree with view above. Would love to see this fight and other famous Bellew victory.

Scissors and Twentyman like this.
  12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think he would seriously bang him out, mate. Ward hasn’t got the frame to be strong at cruiserweight.
    I seen you post earlier about a potential fight with Fury and I agree with you, I hope he goes nowhere near him. Tyson would smash him up slowly for 12 rounds. He should avoid him at all costs.

moog likes this.
  13. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah Ward was just strong enough to hold of Kovalev against a big Bellew he gets flattened. Take Ward v Froch at 168, were Froch entered ring about 173ib even though losing wide he had Ward out of his feet in last round against a 200ib plus Bellew he dont see final bell.

Twentyman likes this.
  14. Popnvg

Popnvg Member banned Full Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Not really, it would be Matchroom and Queensbury working together.In terms of a TV Point of view, it has to be on Sky Sports Box Office if Fury and Bellew want to make money...BT will be like ITV in terms of their promotion, channel setup, commentry teams and production.

15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Tony's a good fighter. I learned a good while ago hes a lot better than he looks. But its time to face the best now. Wards retired. He can't go around talking like he does then try to fight guys that have retired when theres quality fighters at cruiserweight for him to fight. My guess is any decent heavyweight will beat him up. The top cruiserweights will beat him up. I think they,ve had inside information haye was finished way before that first fight was signed. Regardless he does deserve props for it. But until he fights and beats a top active cruiserweight...or a half decent heavyweight. He,ll always be stuck at the level he's at. But talking like a top dog. Nows his time. Its either prove hes a top guy or kid on your a top guy. I think that's fair.

pow likes this.